• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

TH 400 length

C

Cole

Is a TH400 the same length as a turbo 350? Need to know ASAP. Also anyone got a TH400 laying around?

I wish I had a TH400 layin around. As far as I know yes they are the same length. Blacksheep would know 100% since he's broke 3-4 of them. LOL

Not sure on the 4x4's and it depends on the tailshaft but no the TH400's aren't the same length as a TH350 the 400 is longer

Well see there... ya learn something everyday ! LOL

Miles has a 400 but he is in Ks and its in a truck thats sat for 15yrs :flipoff1:

How much longer like 2 or 3 inches. I am trying to get a th400 but I don't wana have to change all my mounting brackets.

21.75, 24.5, so just under 3". problem is bolt circle pattern and output shaft spline. a 350 is 27. a 400 is 32. a 400 has a small circle 6, a 350 has a 4 bolt. what tcase and adapter are you running? thing is you can have an adapter made to put your case on a 400 and keep the same drivelines if you have a plate made and get a 400 off a 76-79 chevy 3/4 ton that had a 203 behind it. this is the shortest output shaft of a 400, and the plate only needs to be 5/8" thick. if your adapter to your atlas (I'm assuming here) is like 3" long, you could be in business. you countersink the holes on the tranny side and the tcase bolt heads are exposed. just did my 350/231 this way out of 3/4" plate. works like a charm, 1 hour on the lathe and some drill press time. yes, you will have to change mounts, but that is the easy part of this. the adapter plate and input gear swap out are the hardest part. same torque converter fits, same bellhousing, same shifter and same tcase shifters if you go with the short ass shaft and plate.

I wish I had an Atlas, just a twin sticked 205, I don't believe it has an adapter. Didn't they make a 400 that would bolt right up to a 205 without an adapter. If I have to have an adapter thats just gonna make it longer right? I thought this might be a simple swap but it sounds like a pain in the ass.
Thanks for all the info, I am still learning. I just know I don't wana have to keep pulling my transmission.

http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/gm/gmth350id.html

th400 24 1/2"
th350 21 3/4"
700r4 23 1/2"

damn, I'm good, my measurements were eyeballing off the tape.
cole, if you have a 350/205, then putting a 400 in there requires a bunch of ****. the factory adapter is 4" long, and adds unneccesary length IMO. You could take the short output 400 and build a plate that would clock it and put it on. the problem there is that you will still have a figure 8 case if you buy an '84 and back. yes, it will be a total bitch and a lot of fab, but it oculd be done.

Latest posts