• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Th350 question

Jacobmc

My transmission will not hold 1st gear when I have the shifter in first.it shifts to second when i mash on it .my question is do I need a manual valave body or is something wrong in my transmission.im running a 4.3 and dual Toyota cases

There are cheap shift kits available that will allow it to hold first. Nothing wrong with your trans (assuming its stock).

EDIT: See below. Apparently I was wrong, check linkage and kickdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacobmc said:
My transmission will not hold 1st gear when I have the shifter in first.it shifts to second when i mash on it .my question is do I need a manual valave body or is something wrong in my transmission.im running a 4.3 and dual Toyota cases

Any chance it could be in the linkage not being adjusted correctly? :dunno:

ADMINISTRATOR

Every th350 I've had would hold 1st gear. Stock 400s will not hold 1st. I'd check the linkage

My bone stock 400 will hold first as long as I keep it there. Obviously can't start in 2nd but will hold that one as well.

kmcminn said:
I thought th350 would hold first unlike the 400 that will shift on its on?

hmmm. I might be wrong (probably).

every stock th350 (2 or 3)? truck I've driven would bang 2nd with the stick in 1st

maybe the kickdown cables were wore out/****ed with? they were **** trucks with the body damn near rusted off.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/tci-321001

I put this in mine. It's a full replacement so you just bolt it in and throw those little check balls away. Works perfect and really woke it up. Mine shifted crazy cause I didn't have anything hooked up

ForMud said:
My stock 350 holds all the gears till I shift.
Mine would shift forward but not back down. And I think if you shifted to second it wouldn't hold it to the limiter it would shift itself to third? It did a bunch of weird stuff till I swapped in the manual valve body

I checked my linkage it's good...it feels like it's binding up trying to shift into second and a higher rpm then when I let off the gas it will go back to first if that makes any sense..I'm just trying to figure out if something is wrong with my tranny or do I need a shift kit or manual body

kmcminn said:
Sounds like something was not right?
Well it started when I had the new one built. I assumed it was something in the trans from sitting dry and getting moved around dropped whatever. Well I never went back and hooked that vacuum line up to the back of the trans so I figure that was the problem. If it shifted to second I would have to come to a stop and pull it back into first but if I put it in second it would start in first and shift to second. Made racing a sob

Jacobmc said:
I checked my linkage it's good...it feels like it's binding up trying to shift into second and a higher rpm then when I let off the gas it will go back to first if that makes any sense..I'm just trying to figure out if something is wrong with my tranny or do I need a shift kit or manual body
check the governor it may be stuck

I have a another stock th350 transmission that I bought from a guy and he had it built and never used it...should I swap mine out and go with it? Or do I need to go ahead and either put a shift kit in it or a manual valve body before I put it in?...I'm just wanting it to stay in first gear when I need it to

Something was definitely wrong with my transmission I got the new one in and everything is working fine. First gear holds no problem .thanks everyone for the help

Latest posts