• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

TH400 rebuild pointers

Cubby

I'm having a TH400 built for the Jeep. Any worth while upgrades that should be considered?

What stall converter would you run? I was thinking 2000rpm stall, but I don't want it to be jumpy on the throttle.

Driveline is LQ9/TH400/3.0AtlasII/5.38axles and 40" tires.

I would run just a stock converter. Stall just gonna add more heat. Also I would do a reverse manual valve body with compression breaking. Also add a trans cooler.

DOn't fawk with the stall, stock is fine. Do the things cole said, deep pan if you have room for one

Cole said:
I would run just a stock converter. Stall just gonna add more heat. Also I would do a reverse manual valve body with compression breaking. Also add a trans cooler.

it looks like art carr and tci have one. Any others I should look at? Who's do you run?
\

Cubby said:
it looks like art carr and tci have one. Any others I should look at? Who's do you run?
\
I got a TCI because it has compression in all 3 gears where art carr only has it in 3rd. Make sure u call and ask TCI about it because they just came out with it. I think I got the 3rd one they made.

Cole said:
I got a TCI because it has compression in all 3 gears where art carr only has it in 3rd. Make sure u call and ask TCI about it because they just came out with it. I think I got the 3rd one they made.

You know TCI got bought out right? That's what Drew and his dad ran in the mud trucks and they didn't stay together long at all. I know your not getting a complete trans but something to think about.

benfowler87 said:
You know TCI got bought out right? That's what Drew and his dad ran in the mud trucks and they didn't stay together long at all. I know your not getting a complete trans but something to think about.

Oh didn't know that. I Still think they make good valvebodies.

Cole said:
Oh didn't know that. I Still think they make good valvebodies.

Yeah I wasn't tryin to bash them just thought I would let y'all know about some past experiences. They never had a valvebody problem, it was always clutches, line lock, and the torque converter. I dont believe they ever got a line lock that would work right. And I know it would be hard for anything to hold up to 1000 horsepower in the mud and water like they were.

What do you consider stock stall for an LQ9 that was never available with a TH400???

The rev man VB is a matter of prefernce, IMO. Personally, I don't like them. I've had both and am going back to stock. I'm going to do some valve body tweaks myself which should give me firmer and faster shifts and let me hold 1st and 2nd gear as long as I want. I knowledgeable tranny guy can do a lot of neat stuff for virtually nothing with a stock VB. Hell, a lot of the aftermarket VB's are just reworked stock ones.

I remember a long time ago when I ordered my Art Carr TH350 rev man VB. It came with he same GM stock number cast into it as the stock valve body that came out of the trans.

J. J.

How big of a camshaft are you running? If none, then a stock convertor will work fine IMO. But you don't want to be sitting stopped, and the motor trying to pull. Too much stall and you lose down hill compression braking and will heat up a bit. Trans brakes are cool but will break the crap out of everything you own. Keep it simple, moderate to stock convertor, rev. manual valve body with a simple shifter, something you can go forward to reverse quickly. And put in a good cooling system with a high speed fan. :driving:

benfowler87 said:

Yea the guy that use to build the TCI trannys started a new company PTC. The line lock valve in the PTC valve bodies always stuck but you guys shouldnt have that problem. The TCI valve body worked great and never gave us any problems but all the clutches in the TCI trans absolutely fried after 7 laps on it. Thats bout 10 mins of run time. Just something to think about. Just remember to get a good cooler to.

Just ordered up the TCI valve body and a PTC 1600 stall torque converter with the LS1 nose cone and pad placement.

If you ever need a torque converter or any other trans parts www.ptcrace.comhttp:// in Muscle Shoals has been great the two times I've used them.

Use Borg Warner bands and ****. 4L80E drum and sprag. There are some other things but cant remember off the top of my head. TCI RMVB with compression braking as stated. Good cooler, good pan. No chrome piece of **** cause they leak. Get a nice cast aluminum thick sumbitch.