• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

That'll make you mess your pants!

money_pit_yj

Regardless of whether you love him or if you are a nonamerican terrorist, you have to admit Dale Jr is INSANE! In case you missed it he was running in the pack at Talladega and his steering wheel came off. I attached a link that has a GIF and an video of it. 60+MPH and he steers with the stem on the column.

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/dale-earnhardt-jr-loses-steering-wheel-steers-car-wit-1774130419

Anybody had any crazy stuff like that happen to them where instincts kick in and get you through it?

When I first got the Unicorn finished, we hauled it to Barstow for testing/tuning with Wayne Israelsen. So there I am solo in the car, buzzing Barstow main. 3-4' deep non-sequential whoops. And I was running somewhere in the 80-90mph range, thats fast through there, not buried fast, but quick enough to turn heads, and the wheel popped off.
I did get it immediately reengaged in a slow-mo life passing before my eyes type of moment.

Then, was like thank god, my peeps didnt see that dumbshit, that will just be my little secret. Low and behold about an hour later another crew that was testing came over to check out the car, and one said, "hey did the wheel come off down there, cause it looked like you were flailing trying to get it back on" BUSTED! the jig was up. I had to cop to it. laughing1

This is me running at Bonneville from 2010. I'd just made a mid-200's mph licensing pass. Wasnt a run for a record.
And if you asked me before seeing the video I woulda told ya I had my left hand on the wheel, but I took it off.

:07 I back off WOT
:15 I'm deploying the chutes.
:17 I'm mechanical braking and beginning my turn towards the return road
:33 i take my stupid hand off the butterfly
:35 all hell brakes loose as the front wheels start bounding full lock to lock
:45 me recognizing I'm an idiot.

Bad Ending

InDaShop said:
This is me running at Bonneville from 2010. I'd just made a mid-200's mph licensing pass. Wasnt a run for a record.
And if you asked me before seeing the video I woulda told ya I had my left hand on the wheel, but I took it off.

:07 I back off WOT
:15 I'm deploying the chutes.
:17 I'm mechanical braking and beginning my turn towards the return road
:33 i take my stupid hand off the butterfly
:35 all hell brakes loose as the front wheels start bounding full lock to lock
:45 me recognizing I'm an idiot.

Bad Ending

I love the fact that Kush helped you build that bad mochine. Looks like of his patented zip ties on the steering wheel. I am guessing there is no video from the outside to match up to the inside one or it would have been posted. Still 200mph is no joke and it shows how fast things can go wrong and how violent too. Imagine if your hand got caught up in that carnage.

Had steering linkage come loose at steering box, on my tj one morning after dropping kids at school. Little girl an me were 1.5mile from the house starting around curve. I said a quick prayer while lightly tapping brakes. Coasted off side of road safely. Got a ride home picked up spare part drove on in. Most scared I have ever been yet the calmest I have ever felt. It was a blessing from God that nothing serious happened.

The steering shaft broke on my old f250 after I sold it. Luckily the guy only ended up in ditch with no damage. If I still had it, I probably would've been hauling the gooseneck up in the mountains or something. I always checked it when I had it because I had read about that happening to them.

Lost a tie rod bolt on my YJ one time while doing about 40 going down the road... Hey, why isn't this correction I am doing correcting the direction of the vehicle?? Awww crap!! Gently apply brakes and drive into the ditch. Stopped about 3' from a metal drainage culvert that would have def caused some carnage had I been at road speed...

Just built a race engine for the 900 rzr (short course). Buddy tuning it was driving with his laptop and raced me on pavement, my 900 he was in put 5 or so lengths on my 1000. runs it up to 80 or so. Then he says go put some miles on it, beat on it, break it in. We have a race the next day, no firewalls, no plastic yet, nothing tuned, held together by zip ties, just breaking the engine in. I go run it in the tree track FAST. Then get into the field to go back to the shop. Stab it, get up to 30 or so, suddenly the rig is going a different direction than I am turning. chuck it pretty good over a couple times. Dude I just bought it from didn't have the steering ujoint slid onto the shaft into the relief for the bolt, just put the end 3/16 of splines on the yoke and pinch bolted it outside the end of the shaft. In the mile it had gone right before that it had been 80 plus on pavement with DEEEEP ditches through the trees at a high rate of speed. Got super ass lucky. Still broke a front diff, axle, some other crap. Added to that list for making the race the next day. Made the race with lots of zip ties and 12 minutes to spare. loller.gif

Latest posts