• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The Sticky Tire Thread

RustyC

Everybody wants them and trends come and go. So what out there on the market today. An ongoing thread. Post up info, opinion of YOUR tires not ones your buddy had or one guy in a buggy had. Lucky for the rest of use we have members that have personally run several set of different comp tires.
Whats being produced regardless of public or race team availability. Give up the info if you got it?

BFG Red Labels 37", 39", 42" x 13.50? x 17"
KRBs, KRB2, KRB3?

Interco TSL SX 43" x 14.50? x 16.5
Iroc 42" x ? x 17?
Thornbirds molaugh

Maxxis Trepador 37", 40", 42" X 13.5 X 17"

Pro Comp XMT2 40"x 13.50 X 17"

Nitto ?
Goodyear?

Oh so I can see right away you and muddinmetal are just gonna sweep the 42" red label under the rug like it doesn't even exist.

Anyway that's what I run. I'll take the Pepsi challenge with a 39" any day of the week :)

LightBnDr said:
Oh so I can see right away you and muddinmetal are just gonna sweep the 42" red label under the rug like it doesn't even exist.

Anyway that's what I run. I'll take the Pepsi challenge with a 39" any day of the week :)

:tc

onetoncrawler said:
On the BFG's, I think you may mean KRT-B, KR2-S and KR3?
Yes the desert inspired tires in general. I wasn't completely sure on the designation.

There are at least 8 others that have been around in the last 5 years. Faulken, Trxus, bogger, xterrain, claw, creepy crawler, etc. and multiple sizes of others, I will try to help as soon as I get off work

Ive ran a few of the tires over the years
39'' Reds
40'' Treps
43'' SX (Current)
My brother currently has the 42" Trep

I would equally run each of the 3 tires again based on the rig i had and driving style...
Reds- Light weight rig from 4cyl to 500 hp and like to crawl
Treps- Med weight rig with some HP to clean out the tires and enjoy the skinny pedal
SX's- Heavier rig, Higher HP and is a good mix of the other 2. BUt havent logged many hours running them. They are hard to beat for the toughness and ground clearance over the other 2

Reds are definitely the stickiest tire (In my opinion) and my favorite on a lighter rig....

Ive had 43 SXs and they worked great. As others said, they are tough as hell. I have 42" treps now, but havent used them yet. Based on feel, they are much much softer than the SXs. Cant wait to use them.

Size on the sidewalls are 42x13.5R17 to update your OP.

I have had:

37" and 39" Red's: I think they are a great tire for the rocks, better than a trep in pure rock. Never had an SX. They tend to work better when the lugs aren't as new and things round down. Haven't cut one, but that means nothing as anything can be cut. As the tire wears down and if you are in sloppy conditions, they suck a little bit unless you have the HP to clean them. Ran them around 11 - 12 psi.

40" Trep - Great all around tire. In the southeast they will do well when the conditions are not dry. While we try to avoid mud, sometimes it seems to be there. They did great in the rocks, but not quite as well as a red. I have cut one of these tires, but in all fairness, i did go pretty fast into and over a rock pile.

I have the KR2s at home now to be ran but have no personal feedback.

Availability:

Trep: 37, 40, and 42's are not a problem. 42's use to be scarce back at the end of summer but doesn't seem to be the case now.

BFG: A whole different story here
They did a price increase about 2 weeks ago with the red's taking the largest % increase.

The following information was from about 1.5 weeks ago:
37" Red - No production date as they say there is no demand.....or that's the story they are saying

39" Red - They are in stock but they are saying there could be a shortage come this summer due to producing the desert tires. They are not certain on this yet, but depends on the demand of the desert stuff

42" Red - I'm now hearing June. It has changed more than once, again depends on the desert tire demand.

Desert Tires: 39" KR2 & KR2 s - means sticky and KR3 and KR3 s - are all in stock. I'm guessing more desert guys have started using them tires and up'ing the demand.

the_white_shadow said:
Ive had 43 SXs and they worked great. As others said, they are tough as hell. I have 42" treps now, but havent used them yet. Based on feel, they are much much softer than the SXs. Cant wait to use them.

Size on the sidewalls are 42x13.5R17 to update your OP.

Talked with Ramon (full bodied Jeep) and Mike (IBEX buggy) about a tire test once the Zuk is built. Same 3 rigs, same obstacle at K2, see which tire each of us genuinely feel works best for our specific terrain. Mike runs the 43 SX sticky, I'm on 42" Treps, and Ramon has the 39" red. I think Mike and I will be partial to the ground clearance, but very curious to see what Ramon thinks in a full bodied Jeep. That way there's no Internet here say. We'll see who goes home and puts their tires up for sale haha.

I have a set of Reds that went up Tub Rock in 2wd.....lock the thread

https://youtu.be/8t3hIgndYkU

sleepsontoilet said:
Talked with Ramon (full bodied Jeep) and Mike (IBEX buggy) about a tire test once the Zuk is built. Same 3 rigs, same obstacle at K2, see which tire each of us genuinely feel works best for our specific terrain. Mike runs the 43 SX sticky, I'm on 42" Treps, and Ramon has the 39" red. I think Mike and I will be partial to the ground clearance, but very curious to see what Ramon thinks in a full bodied Jeep. That way there's no Internet here say. We'll see who goes home and puts their tires up for sale haha.
I wanna be in on this comparison. I'm 5 short hours from there. Hit me up

only set of stickies I've run are the 43" SXs. love them so far. seems to grip fairly well, dig like MoFo (I have the wheelspeed to clean them) and work well in all scenarios so far. I've used them in rock (AOP, GMP), sand, snow and loose dirt and they work well in all of those areas imo.

I went from 42" iroks, to 42" SX2s to these 43" SXs. big upgrade each time and they are super tough. usually run them at 2-3 psi for trail riding

Don they make a sticky mtr kevlar?

Only sticky tire I've run personally has been the 42 Trep and it works great. Even with only a v6 they clean out well and the added ground clearance is a big plus. I went riding recently at a wet slick Windrock park with 3 buggies all v8 and over 110 wb between 3k lb and 4200lb. Mine is v6 105 wb and 3500lb. Two rigs had the 43sx and mine and one other had the 42 Treps. We all went everywhere that the others did some places were easier and some tougher for each tire and wheelbase. The 42 and 43 are both the sam height when eyeballing em sitting side by side on the rigs.

I don't think you can go wrong with either tire for any wheeling situation, other than mud bogging.

There was also a full bodied V8 ranger on 40" nitto trail grappler stickies that went everywhere we went also just required a tug on the winch a couple times.

sleepsontoilet said:
I'm ok with help rolling around 42s full of water. :D
You're in a white Sami still right? Always been on a 39" red until now?

Why water in a brand new 42" trep?

It's something that has always made me over analyze. When I imagine water inside of any object, whatever angle you tilt the object the water inside still stays flat, conforms to the shape of the object. So at a near vertical climb, would the water not be completely away from the contact patch inside. Essentially creating pull from the rear gravitationally?

In that situation, I am hoping my rear tires are at least close to perpindicular surface. Most ledges I crawl aren't 10 feet high, which happens to be close to my wheel base.