• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tig Welding

J.A.B

Anybody on here set to to tig?

A weld failed on my fuel cell this weekend - about a 2" hair line crack on one of the vertical welds. Local welding shop was hesitant to look at it at first but agreed but indicated at very min $75.00 to look at it. The way he talked could be more - just seems a little steep to me to fix a 2" fracture.

Sounds about rite on price it being aluminum and a gas tank on top of that. Gona take him a while to setup and get the tank prepped for weld since it has had gas in it. Not many people will do it either.

I charge $50 an hour with a 2 hour minimum on shop work.

Well it being the fuel cell is why. They would have to clean it and make sure all fumes are out of it first. The welding would only take a couple minutes after it was all cleaned. I tig at work but currently don't own a tig. Maybe get it all clean and show them it will not blow up and it would be cheaper.

The $75.00 was dependant on me cleaning the tank and lighting a paper towel in the parking lot first to prove it was safe - but at any rate I guess yall are right - $75.00 no to bad.

My buddy Jeff works at a machine shop here in Columbia, he tig up Darryls supermans buggy fuel cell for him the other day. He would probably do it a little cheaper on his own time his cell is (931) 698-5184. Hope this helps!

Thanks man - I think I found someone local to do it - hell of a lot less than $75

funny story, so this dipshit 19 year old that works for us came rolling in at 6 this morning in his 83 chevy he just paid 5 grand for laughing1 and rolls up with it smoking. the fuel line had been cut (Qjet goes in front with steel, Edelbrock goes in upper pass) and scabbed onto with rubber and all types of hose clamps. the rubber hose cracked and spewed gas on the dist, catching fire, then he rips the fuel hose off ??? and gets it really going, get the water hose and has it out in a snap. he's lucky there was a hydrant with a hose on it 15' from his truck or it would be a carbeque. laughing1

Latest posts