• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Time for a Side by Side

highrolrcustoms

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2011
Messages
623
Location
Jonesborough, TN
Time has come to purchase a side by side. I've been looking between a Kawasaki teryx 4 seater, Polaris rzr 1000 2 seater or a canam Maverick. We currently live on 60 acres and that was 1 reason I was considering the teryx so we could use it on the farm. Snow plow..etc Plus reliability but the farm is for sale so I hate to buy it to use on farm then the farm sells shortly after and regret not getting a rzr or canam for the sporty ride. I'm looking to only spend 10-12k cash. Other than the farm we ride Harlan ky, and windrock. Main thing that worries me about the rzrs is reliability, front diff issues..etc. What option do you recommend. Will I regret buying the teryx over a sport model. Any input is appreciated.
 

paradisepwoffrd

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
1,127
Location
Hickory, NC
If you can wait until end of model year, I have seen brand new rzrs in that price range.

I have been looking at similar myself, biggest complaint I've heard against the mid-engine machines is noise and heat in the cab.

Unless you need a 4seater, you could look at something like a ranger vs the teryx for dial purpose.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 

The Luke

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2010
Messages
4,187
My father in law has a teryx on his farm. I’ve used it a ton. It’s a hell of a machine. Tons of power and he uses it for everything. I just feel like it’s awkward as hell on a trail though. Maybe it’s because you’re sitting higher and I don’t feel like the seats hold you in at all.

That said, I have very little seat time in a rzr. ~1hr. I liked the low feeling of riding in it. But I can’t see it being practical for mostly farm use.
 

onetoncrawler

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2009
Messages
2,935
Location
Brownsboro, AL
i had a ranger and I absolutely loved it around the house. We have about 30 acres and it was really handy. But, it sucked on a trail. I now have a rzr and it is awesome on the trail. I don't think you will have any reliability issues if you don't put monster tires on it and beat the crap out of it or race it.
 

TacomaJD

I LIKE CHEAP STUFF.....
Joined
Oct 28, 2010
Messages
14,442
Location
Rainsville, AL
Re: Re: Time for a Side by Side


onetoncrawler said:
i had a ranger and I absolutely loved it around the house. We have about 30 acres and it was really handy. But, it sucked on a trail. I now have a rzr and it is awesome on the trail. I don't think you will have any reliability issues if you don't put monster tires on it and beat the crap out of it or race it.


Don't listen to Daniel, he didn't like to use Turf Mode the right way. Rangers are the best on the trails, even better than Rzrs! :flipoff1:

This sumbitch here would go up anything I'd point it at....even Cable Hill, Pick Your Poison, and other badass hills....hills that Kevin Mcminn's big white turd won't even make it up. Just push the Turf Mode button, chug a Miller Lite tall boy, let out a primal yell to let everybody around know to back up because you got Turf Mode engaged, and next thing you know yer at the ****in top and you dont even remember how you got there. Turf Mode, that's how.


bb7162f67859a2c8c4c43dab3c83806b.jpg
 

SkinnyPedalRacing

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2015
Messages
283
Location
Hoschton, GA
18" xp 1000 and haven't had an issues at all. There was 1 recall for a heat shield and I tore a boot on the cv that was my fault. They are fun and if treated correctly I don't see having any issues. I just got my computer back from Gilommen Innovations from doing a tune and will change the springs in the clutch.
 

mac5005

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2012
Messages
340
Location
Rocky Mount, NC
socsmm6 said:
Has anybody drove the maverick x3? Wondering how they compare to the rzr.

Rode the rzr turbo and x3 at KOH this year. The x3 feels tons better out of the box. Felt more in control and less on the edge at similar speeds compared to the rzr. The rzr felt like it needed major shock tuning while the x3 felt dialed in.

The x3 throttle and power delivery are smooth and linear.

The rzr turbo felt like the first 85% of the throttle pedal only used half the power and the remaining 15% of the pedal got the other 50% of the HP. It was definitely not as smooth of power delivery, but was an absolute rocket.

I kept having to tighten my harnesses on the rzr to force me to stay in the seat, driving at 65-75 in 2’ whoops and washouts. Felt on the edge of out of control, and less in the fun way and more in the really have to work to keep it going where I wanted. Had forearm pump after 20 mins.

The x3 was the polar opposite. It was smooth and unbelievably comfortable driving one handed at 68mph through the same 2’ whoops and washouts.
Never felt like I was pushing it, or on the edge of out of control.

If I wanted to ride out of the box can-am for sure.

If I were building a race car, and planned to upgrade and tune shocks, seats and harnesses and all, definitely rzr, bc it’s a rocket ship at wide open.

Didn’t get to try the active suspension dynamix rzr, but it seems to be a drastic difference between it and the model I drove.

A lot of my negative remarks about the rzr could be fixed with a good shock tuning session.
 

socsmm6

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 31, 2012
Messages
108
mac5005 said:
Rode the rzr turbo and x3 at KOH this year. The x3 feels tons better out of the box. Felt more in control and less on the edge at similar speeds compared to the rzr. The rzr felt like it needed major shock tuning while the x3 felt dialed in.

The x3 throttle and power delivery are smooth and linear.

The rzr turbo felt like the first 85% of the throttle pedal only used half the power and the remaining 15% of the pedal got the other 50% of the HP. It was definitely not as smooth of power delivery, but was an absolute rocket.

I kept having to tighten my harnesses on the rzr to force me to stay in the seat, driving at 65-75 in 2’ whoops and washouts. Felt on the edge of out of control, and less in the fun way and more in the really have to work to keep it going where I wanted. Had forearm pump after 20 mins.

The x3 was the polar opposite. It was smooth and unbelievably comfortable driving one handed at 68mph through the same 2’ whoops and washouts.
Never felt like I was pushing it, or on the edge of out of control.

If I wanted to ride out of the box can-am for sure.

If I were building a race car, and planned to upgrade and tune shocks, seats and harnesses and all, definitely rzr, bc it’s a rocket ship at wide open.

Didn’t get to try the active suspension dynamix rzr, but it seems to be a drastic difference between it and the model I drove.

A lot of my negative remarks about the rzr could be fixed with a good shock tuning session.
Was it the 64” or 72” x3?
From a price standpoint looks like you can get a lot more rzr for your money according to list prices. Have not talked otd price anywhere yet. Always heard Hamilton Alabama had the best prices for the north Ms-Alabama area.
 

mac5005

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2012
Messages
340
Location
Rocky Mount, NC
socsmm6 said:
Was it the 64” or 72” x3?
From a price standpoint looks like you can get a lot more rzr for your money according to list prices. Have not talked otd price anywhere yet. Always heard Hamilton Alabama had the best prices for the north Ms-Alabama area.

I have no clue. Haha.
 

Primary

HardlineCrawlers Assistant
Here are some related products that HardlineCrawlers members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to HardlineCrawlers’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to HardlineCrawlers discussions about these products.

 
 
Top