• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tire Choice Help!!

Pock

So I'm literally on the verge of clicking the "buy now" button on a new set of rubber for the crawler, but I've been torn for months over what size to go with. I've bought alot of tires and NEVER have I had such a difficult time deciding. The rig currently has 36x13/16 TSLs on it and it is basically built for these tires. I really have zero complaints about how well the rig works. But who doesn't wanna go bigger, right? . I have narrowed my choices down to either another set of 36's or stepping up one size to the 38's. Either way, I'm sticking with the TSL's. My dillema is fitment. The 36's fit perfect. If I go to the 38's, I MIGHT be able to fit them with 3" spacers up front, and put my current 1 1/2" on the rear. Otherwise, there's no way to go bigger without reconstructing my rig, which I'm not interested in doing right now. The rig is the Toyota in my sig. 4.10's, stock dual cases, and no hydro. The gears are about perfect for the current tire size, and the steering works pretty well without any hydro assist. These are both possible changes I may have to address if I go up to the 38's. I'm also not sure if running the 3" spacers is even a good idea. From what I've read, some guys do it but it's not desireable(?)
SO, my question is, what would you do? Leave it alone & go with what already works, or go bigger & potentially screw up a good thing and spend the next several months trying to make it work as good as it already does? :dunno: :fish:

Re: Re: Tire Choice Help!!

Pock said:
So I'm literally on the verge of clicking the "buy now" button on a new set of rubber for the crawler, but I've been torn for months over what size to go with. I've bought alot of tires and NEVER have I had such a difficult time deciding. The rig currently has 36x13/16 TSLs on it and it is basically built for these tires. I really have zero complaints about how well the rig works. But who doesn't wanna go bigger, right? . I have narrowed my choices down to either another set of 36's or stepping up one size to the 38's. Either way, I'm sticking with the TSL's. My dillema is fitment. The 36's fit perfect. If I go to the 38's, I MIGHT be able to fit them with 3" spacers up front, and put my current 1 1/2" on the rear. Otherwise, there's no way to go bigger without reconstructing my rig, which I'm not interested in doing right now. The rig is the Toyota in my sig. 4.10's, stock dual cases, and no hydro. The gears are about perfect for the current tire size, and the steering works pretty well without any hydro assist. These are both possible changes I may have to address if I go up to the 38's. I'm also not sure if running the 3" spacers is even a good idea. From what I've read, some guys do it but it's not desireable(?)
SO, my question is, what would you do? Leave it alone & go with what already works, or go bigger & potentially screw up a good thing and spend the next several months trying to make it work as good as it already does? :dunno: :fish:
I say go with what you've got. Sounds like you already know you should. Just ask yourself what you would gain from going up a size, and is it worth all the stuff that will come with it.

There ain't a damn problem with running good spacers long as the bolts stay tight! :****:

My buddy has been running a Toyota pickup like mine ever since I've known him on leafs all the way around, 38" TSL SX, dual cases with yota mini truck axles, chromo'd front. And he never breaks anything. He also wheels with sense though.

Re: Re: Tire Choice Help!!

I used to have 36's and always wished they were bigger. I couldn't go much bigger due to stock t case and 4 cyl. Still drove on highway a lot. My current rig has 39's and am happy with the size. They are sticky bfg's, yeah, but I'm talking about the size. Bigger tires dwarf rocks much better. 36's are fawking little and it doesn't take much of a hole to swallow em. Step up to 38's if you can fit em and have a little sense about driving and I think you'll be happy and notice a significant improvement. If not, you can get most yer money back by selling. Then going back to 36's....or trading for 36's for that matter. Shouldn't be too hard to find someone wanting to trade 36's for 38's.

36's on my old sas'd Taco
a0547a2da82adcc23887e02f6e883241.jpg

eade97a53ab54e4e4e11e67fa27ae995.jpg

Buddy's Toyota rig on 38's
edefab21b92876c392970e77f8a5dae2.jpg

a7ea00e8a08b46ccb20a3bf71a875972.jpg

dc03074c13054121bb90bd53f57aa114.jpg

His rig on 38's and mine on 39's in the front
aa1c18e7e151b08a5c22c4f91c223cc3.jpg

Another buddy's 4runner on 38's [EDIT] wait, maybe those are 40's? They look bigger than 38's and I can't remember!
b6b4b3bb75342815685c5fe60da573ee.jpg

If you can fit em without much modification, bigger is better! Also, none of the above pictured rigs except my red one on 39's has full hydro steering. It's manageable. Probably no worse than what you deal with on 36's.

al1tonyota said:
I say 37 reds if you want to change it up! Little bigger and a lot better tire unless your mud riding!

If they are in yer budget, then hell yeah! Grab a used set of 37" Reds and start eatin'! But I guarantee you will find every weak link in your drive train so that may not be in your best interest on Toy axles.

al1tonyota said:
Just curious also why would you have to run spacers going to bigger tires?

Leaf spring/fender well clearance when turning and/or cutting the wheels while uptraveled maybe? Probably only needs spacers in the front and just putting them in the rear to get close to the width of the front

TacomaJD said:
Leaf spring/fender well clearance when turning and/or cutting the wheels while uptraveled maybe? Probably only needs spacers in the front and just putting them in the rear to get close to the width of the front

I'm leaf front, 4 link rear. The way the front is built, the firewall is close to the front tire. The front end isn't stretched but the rear is. The 36's already rub the leafs a little at full lock, and they rub the firewall at full bump when turned tight. Not really a big deal, it's not even enough for me to feel it in the stering wheel. Also, at full stuff in the rear, the tire is almost touching, so I'm sure the 38's would be getting into the cage at full bump without spacers. Figured the spacers would offset both enough to keep it close to where it is now. And yes, they would also keep the front/rear the same width. I'm funny about **** like that. Thoughts?

If you could get by without spacers in the rear I would do that. Then if your front fits through you know the back end will come right along with it.

al1tonyota said:
I say 37 reds if you want to change it up! Little bigger and a lot better tire unless your mud riding!

If I lived further south, it would be getting 37 Reds. But I live in Central Indiana and unfortunately mud is a way of life here. TSL's are the best all around off road tire imo for the kind of riding we do mostly. I like the rocks better than mud, it's just something we have to deal with here, and I wanna keep my rig versatile. The Reds wouldn't be worth a fawk on a sloppy day where we do most of our riding :****: Boggers and TSLs are pretty much king in these parts unless you unload your rig and spend the whole day on the same 50 yard rock garden.

onepieceatatime said:
If you could get by without spacers in the rear I would do that. Then if your front fits through you know the back end will come right along with it.

3" spacers on the front and not on the back will look significantly out of place. If you're not worried about that, go for it, but that kind of **** would bother me to no end. Lol

Pock said:
I'm leaf front, 4 link rear. The way the front is built, the firewall is close to the front tire. The front end isn't stretched but the rear is. The 36's already rub the leafs a little at full lock, and they rub the firewall at full bump when turned tight. Not really a big deal, it's not even enough for me to feel it in the stering wheel. Also, at full stuff in the rear, the tire is almost touching, so I'm sure the 38's would be getting into the cage at full bump without spacers. Figured the spacers would offset both enough to keep it close to where it is now. And yes, they would also keep the front/rear the same width. I'm funny about **** like that. Thoughts?

I don't think it would matter rubbing your cage in the rear....at worst, you'll just have to keep that spot on the cage painted every now and then. As far as the front, have the leafs been totally moved and changed from their stock location? Lots of people run 38's on Toyota's with the factory front axle location with only minor trimming done to the fenders. Firewall might get rubbed a bit, but how many times are you fully flexed on uptravel with the wheels cut all the way? That's how you break axles!

Pock said:
If I lived further south, it would be getting 37 Reds. But I live in Central Indiana and unfortunately mud is a way of life here. TSL's are the best all around off road tire imo for the kind of riding we do mostly. I like the rocks better than mud, it's just something we have to deal with here, and I wanna keep my rig versatile. The Reds wouldn't be worth a fawk on a sloppy day where we do most of our riding :****: Boggers and TSLs are pretty much king in these parts unless you unload your rig and spend the whole day on the same 50 yard rock garden.

I agree with this. If I weren't running Reds, I would be running TSL's.

TacomaJD said:
3" spacers on the front and not on the back will look significantly out of place. If you're not worried about that, go for it, but that kind of **** would bother me to no end. Lol

I already run 1 1/2" spacers up front with an ifs width rear. I'd be putting 3" up front and moving the 1 1/2's out back. I couldn't stand it either with the front wider than the rear.