• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tire Groovers

i agree with 1/4 and 7/8 or a set of narrow and bigger blades...i know a good cutter like mine is expensive but honestly it has paid for itself several times, everyone in our 4x4 club has borrowed it and i have cut at least 15 sets of 4 swampers with it for myself and other people...the right tool for the job always makes things easier

I been thinking of cutting mine for a while....I saw this tool on TV a couple times and wondered how it'd work. ( http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-2.0-amp-compact-a-c-multi-tool/p-00923465000P ) I went to Sears and picked one up the other day to give it a shot. I have to say.....I was surprised at how well it worked. The motor on this thing is a beast for it's size. The main thing is not getting it bound up against the other lugs so the blade can move at speed. With the thin, narrow blade, it's not hard to keep it going.

The tool is light and comfortable to use. Fits my hand pretty well.....
IMG_20110902_180715.jpg

The blades are cheap at $4-$5 for a pack of 2....
IMG_20110902_180855.jpg

Initially, I wanted the blade to be a little longer. I think it might hurt the maneuverability though...Once you get to this point, you can lift the lug with your free hand and shear it off.....
IMG_20110902_180621.jpg

The way this thing is set up, you can lay the blade flat on the tire and follow the contour of the tire pretty well all the way through the lug.
Here's what I ended up with.....
IMG_20110902_185038.jpg

IMG_20110902_185209.jpg

Once you figure out your angles (how to hold the tool for best cutting) it goes pretty fast for what it is. I have a good bit of time in this tire, figuring out cutting angles mostly. I'd guesstimate now that I know what works and what don't, I could do a tire in about an hour and a half to two hours. So...for 1/4 the price of a nice groover....I can live with that.
Oh yea....I'm still using my FIRST blade!

Well....didn't work as well as I thought. Burnt the damn thing up about 3/4 through the second tire. Ah well...it was worth a shot I guess.

Rockwells607 said:
...the right tool for the job always makes things easier

Makes sense...lol Just ordered a Van Alstine G1000

Latest posts