• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tires 20% street 80% east coast offroad

jp fan

I am ready to buy new tires and wheels for my trail rig that is also drove on the street. Jeep CJ7 44 front with yukon shafts and joints 5:13 gears and 9" rear 31 spline moser axles locked F/R. I have searched for many hours all over the net but have not found what I am looking for so I am asking you all for help. I am buying Raceline wheels not sure on size would like 17" but this is my issue. I am looking at 37-13.50-17 Nitto mud grapplers but not sure how they do in places like Harlan in the wet muddy rocks and loose ground, My other go to tire would be 38-12.50-15 TSL-SX I know they work great in the mountains but I was really looking for a 17" rim, any help would be great. NOTE, I cannot afford the non comp Treps or blue label Krawlers both of the tires I am looking at are around 380$. I have never seen the mug grapplers perform around here has anyone got any first hand offroad with them thanks

I had the nittos 40's, super loud on the road and worked OK on the trail. I went to 42's mtr kevlars... great on road and really worked well offroad. My .02

I have just bought the Pro Comps for my D/D and I do like them just don't know if they would be close to a TSL SX in the loose muddy stuff thanks so far for the replies

Nothing is gonna compare the that SX IMO. From my experience that's about the best non sticky tire on the market. That particular size seems to have a great compound. We used to run them on Toyotas all the time. With great results.

I'm not a fan of the Nitto. It's a really heavy tire and the compound is hard. I don't think any radial tire is going to be great offroad. But, the KM2's seem to do be pretty soft and certain sizes in the MTR Kevlars are good. I know the 40's seem to suck for whatever reason.

Re: Re: Tires 20% street 80% east coast offroad

matth_85 said:
Nothing is gonna compare the that SX IMO. From my experience that's about the best non sticky tire on the market. That particular size seems to have a great compound. We used to run them on Toyotas all the time. With great results.

This, the answer to this thread.

For a good on and offroad tire I second the MTR Kevlar. Either that or just live with the bad street manors of an offroad tire. None are great for both.

40" Nitto Trail Grapplers. I've been pretty happy with mine, did well at Harlan

I have good luck in the smaller sizes with the cheapest mud tire I can find that has a pattern like a tsl. That pattern hooks up and pulls great in dirty/rocky terrain

I ran the 39" bias ply pitbull mad dogs on a 1 ton tj and it drove amazing. I powder balanced them and they saw the highway regularly.

scoutdogfab said:
I ran the 39" bias ply pitbull mad dogs on a 1 ton tj and it drove amazing. I powder balanced them and they saw the highway regularly.

Where do you live at and how did the Mad dogs do offroad

I'm in nj , I loved them all around. Super durable never chunked or seemed to show a lot of wear like iroks.quiet and smooth off-road.

Well I am a very slow at buying things, I ended up with steel Allied wheels and 38" SX I have not even started the jeep yet but I love the size and the look it has given the jeep. I put a durometer on them and got a 70-71 in different spots they act like they will give a little maybe more once broke in. Thanks for all the suggestions and replies.

I just want to do a little update on these tires. I have done some driving and some wheeling and the offroad side is awesome, the traction compared to the IROKS is black and white. I have not put any weights or anything to balance them and they do great on the road. My jeep will just do about 60mph and I can with one hand, I am very impressed with these and will buy again thanks for all the input
Here are some VIDS I took yesterday evening to show everyone how it drives
Super Swamper TSL SX on the highway
TSL SX on the street

The iSucks that don't suck seem to be in a radial, and even those don't compare to a good SX. Good choice!

I always groove the Chevrons in half to give a little more void when enveloping a rock and a few more biting edges.

I agree - wish they came in a 17" and sticky :popcorn:

Latest posts