• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tow Rig question

Andrews2007

I am in the market of buying a new daily driver\tow rig truck. I am trying to decide between a chevy 1500 6.2 liter or a chevy 2500 duramax.

I have a jeep cherokee that i off-road maybe once a month and besides that the truck will just be a daily driver. I am trying to decide if a chevy 1500 6.2 liter will pull my jeep through the hills of TN and KY well enough? I want something that will pull my jeep well but also not destroy me at the fuel pump during the week. Also i can buy a much nicer 1500 than i can a 2500 (duramax) for the price. Any advice would be great.

I would look at 05_06 chevy duramax just driving gets good millage and towing I am still happy evan with a heavy trailer . I pull in Ky And Tn and it does great no extra epa stuff on these. Gas engines are hard on fuel pulling a load imo

I pulled with my 2014 1500 for the first time last weekend. Although its only the 5.3, its suppose to have roughly 30-40 HP over the previous model 5.3. It towed my 19' bass boat up and down big hills doing 85 the whole way home from the lake. Overall I was really impressed but if a diesel was in the budget I'd have a 2500.

The gas burner will not compare to a diesel. Will it get the job done? Yes Will it do it as good? No

If you can afford it go ahead with the diesel

I drive around 30k miles per year, less than 5k with my 20 ft enclosed haulmark and jeep (8200 lbs). Both of my last two half tons were perfectly fine all through the SE. If your going to go half ton, I can vouch for the 5.7 tundra, and believe it or not, my f150 with the twin turbo 3.5 ecoboost. Nothing tows better than the diesel, but fuel prices kill that option for me as a dd. average mpg on the tundra was 15.9 unloaded, 9 loaded, and the ecoboost gives me 17.5 avg unloaded, 8.5 loaded.

I don't tow every day but I have towed from Tn to Miss with my 05 F250 with a 5.4 did well not a beast but decent averaged 17 MPG too. Also pulled Signal Mtn for years with a loaded lawn trailer did well there not as stout as my friends diesels but didnt hold up traffic or have to flog it to pull The Gap..

If you can afford it go for a diesel go newer the 6.2 can be problem prone, also age issues in general with an older truck or newer ragged out truck too, I'm not to much on GM but the newer Duramax would be a better pick in my opinion.

Re: Re: Tow Rig question

Jus tossing this out there....

My 2wd 08 1500 chevy LTZ xcab with the 5.3 is my daily and weekend hauler.

Towed a full body full exo Cherokee on 37's and now my 1 ton YJ.

Daily drives great...pulls good. Its a lil gutless below 2500rpms but if you drive it right its fine.

Would purchase again for same duties.

I have had both 2500 6.0 and now duramax.. Doesnt even compare. Buy tha duramax , it will save u alot of money down tha road. I have 200,000 on my 2007 classic style duramax and it still drives like it always has. I can pull my rig not knowin its back there or bust a mustangs ass BAD if needed. But my favorite part smoking people, esp :afro: in atlanta. :woot:
.. Yes im that guy.

Drove a 3500 straight shift with a 6.0 up Lookout Mountain my 5.4 with an auto would have blow it off the road. I think the 6.0 is blown out of per portion by GM :gay:

keepin gas in tha 6.0 is def blown out of somthing.. **** sucked.. never again.. but i also know that a nice duramax around 2005-2007 cost that ass,... its insane what some are priced at.. i hope mine last cause im drivin tha wheels off that bitch.. no more new cars for my broke ass.. the engine breaking is crazy when in tow/haul.... and milage is about tha same with or without a trailer, gas was a huge difference,..

Duramax all the way!!! :****:
I have 2004 185000 6" lift 35's gets a solid 14 mpg empty and 11 with 10,000 lbs behind, it up and down any hills!!!!! :driving: hitit
And as stated earlier smokin the :afro: in car beside ya is a GREAT FEELING!!!!!! :dblthumb:
GASS BURNERS SUCK!!!!! :woot:

Truth is most people don't need a diesel for what they tow & the frequency they do it. Newer gas engines are very efficient and have the power to easily pull a jeep or lightweight buggy on a standard trailer. That being said, if you can find a good deal on a diesel, have a 2nd beater to drive every day, do a lot of long hauls, in mtn grades, its hard to beat a diesel for a dedicated tow rig. Personally, I wouldn't want to drive a diesel truck everyday.

As for Diesel, IMO there's only one answer, Cummins all the way! :dblthumb: The 2003-2006 are getting affordable and they are among the best mpg motors you will find. If you want to turn it into a hotrod, you can reach a lot of power pretty easily. The engine rarely needs attention, but if you do have to work on them, it is a simple motor and cheap to maintain. I get mpg numbers loaded that rival what most gassers get unloaded. :****:

Why does no one ever focus on the real issue? Brakes. Half ton brakes don't compare to 3/4 or ton brakes. Buy the gas or the diesel, but make sure you have the brakes to stop whatever you are towing.

DirtMonkey said:
Truth is most people don't need a diesel for what they tow & the frequency they do it. Newer gas engines are very efficient and have the power to easily pull a jeep or lightweight buggy on a standard trailer. That being said, if you can find a good deal on a diesel, have a 2nd beater to drive every day, do a lot of long hauls, in mtn grades, its hard to beat a diesel for a dedicated tow rig. Personally, I wouldn't want to drive a diesel truck everyday.

This is what I do and I'm happy with no more than I have to pull. Might have a diesel one day, but no big desire for one now. Wheeling is the only time I have to pull my truck and trailer, basically. 2006 2500HD 6.0 gasser that averages 10mpg paired with a 2002 Saturn L200 sedan 2.2 Ecotec 4 cyl that gets 30mpg = An overall average of 20mpg.

:dblthumb:

Sounds like my story was the same as a few others. I bought a 06 Nissan Titan and a 14K trailer (rather heavy) equipment trailer. It pulled it great but didn't stop great. Make sure to get a good trailer brake box no matter what you get. Now that I am traveling and racing I am very glad I have my 05 Duramax. I would agree with guy above. No matter what you get make sure it has good trailer brakes and a good brake controller, but I recommend the diesel if its in the budget also.

civicmindedex79 said:
Sounds like my story was the same as a few others. I bought a 06 Nissan Titan and a 14K trailer (rather heavy) equipment trailer. It pulled it great but didn't stop great. Make sure to get a good trailer brake box no matter what you get. Now that I am traveling and racing I am very glad I have my 05 Duramax. I would agree with guy above. No matter what you get make sure it has good trailer brakes and a good brake controller, but I recommend the diesel if its in the budget also.

Absolutely agree! I have used some cheaper brake controllers in the past and learned that lesson! I stopped being stupid and bought a Tekonsha Prodigy, that is best thing for towing beside the truck itself. I never have to touch the thing and it WORKS. The one I had before that constantly needed attention, it adjusted itself one day and I was pulling a dry trailer, hit an off ramp and it locked up tighter than a teenage cooch and put some nice flat spots on my new trailer tires! The POS eventually crapped to the point I had to unwire it on the road when it fully malfunctioned. It is worth it to spend that extra little bit of cash on a good controller

TacomaJD said:
This is what I do and I'm happy with no more than I have to pull. Might have a diesel one day, but no big desire for one now. Wheeling is the only time I have to pull my truck and trailer, basically. 2006 2500HD 6.0 gasser that averages 10mpg paired with a 2002 Saturn L200 sedan 2.2 Ecotec 4 cyl that gets 30mpg = An overall average of 20mpg.

:dblthumb:

I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee as my DD and I love that damn Jeep, so practical...except the horrible mileage. Im gonna miss that POS, but I cant wait to get 30+ and not listen to the rattles + squeaks. Every time I take a road trip I rent a car that gets at least 30 Hwy and Im like "This is awesome!" add to that satellite radio, and I wonder why I can exist without one :afro: Soon.............

210,000 or so miles on mine, original brakes! Never had any issues and pull a trailer almost everyday. Now thats amazing. The guy at dealership was pretty impressed tha last time i was up there.. That was at about 150k miles.