• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tow Rig Recommendations

squeak12

I'm on the search for a tow rig and would like to hear what you guys think. Currently, I am pushing a 3.4L 4Runner, and while it does it job pulling my RZR to events and races when I'm solo, I need something bigger. I'd say the budget sweet spot would be in the $15k - $20k range. I'll be keeping my Toyota as a daily driver, so DRW, long beds, flatbeds, etc. are all on the table. I'd say most trips it would be pulling 20' to 30' trailers ranging from 7,000 lbs on light loads to 15,000 lbs on the biggest loads. My biggest wants are relatively low noise level in the cab, reliability, and 4x4 It doesn't have to be flashy or have all the bells and whistles, but I don't want to be spending 10 to 15 hours on the way to a race in a work truck interior, either.

Re:

No 12 valves or 7.3's for you. How many miles a year are you gonna be running? Hilly terrain or mostly flats?

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've had a 7.3 and borrowed one on my last trip from Georgia to The Badlands in Indiana. It got us there and back, but between the trans/downpipe heat in the floorboard, engine noise, and lack of power, I'd rather not get one especially at the price people ask for them.

Terrain will be everything. I don't live in the mountains, but all the good places require going through them. So far this year, I have done every east coast Ultra4 race driving from Georgia (Oklahoma, Indiana, and Kentucky in August). I wouldn't rule out trips out west, but usually we take enough people that someone will have a nice rig to take than mine.

I'd buy a mid-late 90s 1 ton vortec 454 truck and rebuild everything that needed to be fixed on it, and add a secondary fuel tank.

And get used to spending a couple hundred in gas

Re:

I was gonna say gas burner minus the obnoxious exhaust. Just be ready for higher rpms and higher fuel consumption like **** said.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

2nd gen Tundra crew max with the 5.7l. It will get **** fuel mileage but is a reliable truck. My 2nd choice would be a Chevy 2500HD. You could find one with a duramax for 15-20k all day long.

Re: Tow Rig Recommendations

the_white_shadow said:
2nd gen Tundra crew max with the 5.7l. It will get **** fuel mileage but is a reliable truck. My 2nd choice would be a Chevy 2500HD. You could find one with a duramax for 15-20k all day long.
I agree with this but the weight he is looking for would kill the tundra. I pull with one and my enclosed is about 8k. It does fine with that and I wouldn't worry about hitting the 10600 max but nothing more. As long as I keep it under 70 fuel mileage is okay. Drive like a dumdass it's expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:

onepieceatatime said:
Somebody posted a smoking deal on a 8.1 here like last week.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Must be sold cause the ad is deleted now.

What's the fuel mileage like with a heavily loaded gas burner vs. diesel. I'm not particularly concerned with it, since it will be terrible with 10,000 lbs either way, but I'm curious. I figure a diesel is going to be in the 8-10 mpg range. Making that assumption that diesel is typically 20% higher than gasoline, does the fuel mileage scale similarly? How many miles is too many on a gas burner?

Shoot, most Cummins trucks will get 12 mpg or better while towing 10k lbs......I used to get 8-10 mpg out mine towing 20k lbs.

My 6.7 cummins on 35s gets about 12mpg pulling my crawler hauler with buggy on it, probably weighs around 11-12k. I had a 2014 tundra and it got 14mpg empty on a good day

I know its Not exactly what youre asking, but i averaged 13mpg with my '97 big block F250 pulling my ZJ buggy on an open deck car hauler at 70mph. Of course thats on relatively flat ground between Tuscaloosa and Morris MTN, pulling less than 6k lbs, in a 2wd crew cab with a manual trans and 235 series tires.

I paid $2,000 for the truck about 5 years ago, its not the nicest truck around but it pulls great and feels like it could easily pull more. In fact I just installed a gooseneck hitch so I can step up to a bigger trailer and see how she does with two rigs behind her.

I'd highly recommend a big block gas burner for occasional use, as you mentioned diesel fuel is about 20% higher per Gal so the diesel is going to have to get significantly better mileage to break even. Also gas trucks are less desireable so you can get a significantly nicer truck for the same price and the maintainance is less money too. Of course if youre gonna do alot of towing a diesel cannot be beat.

I was initially leaning towards hoping to find a deal on an LBZ in the upper range of my budget. While I have entertained the idea of a gas burning big block, I never really looked that far into it, but it seems like you can find a similarly equipped 8.1L in the $10k range. Realistically, I would probably do 10,000 miles or less a year. How does a crew cab DRW 8.1L compare to a stock or slightly modified 7.3L? I won't rule out a diesel because it would be nice, but a big block is probably more cost effective.

IMO, for something that i was planning on using less than 10k a year, id go with a big block with a comfortable interior. The decrease in fuel mileage will be negatived by the lack of maintenance you will have to do as compared to a diesel. Everything should cheaper for the 8.1l as the front accessories are LS based (i think).

Save the $10k in price difference and use it on deep dished 24s and 40s. (kidding). Bust that money could be used elsewhere.

Man I dont pull 10k with my big block but I have no problems keeping up with the CHM crowd and their shiny new diesels. my opinion may change once I put 2 rigs on a trailer behind it and drive through a more mountanous area but I doubt it.

I have a 7.4 in my square body suburban. I get 9 mpg towing 10k or just riding around town empty. Would probably do a little better on gas if I had overdrive. But the 3 speed + granny gets the job done. This motor/trans combo has been nothing but reliable for me in the 4 years I've owned this truck.

Re:

Its also easier to find low mile 8.1s because they tend not to be daily driven. My 04 just rolled over 70k.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk