• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tow Rig Recommendations

Re:

onepieceatatime said:
Its also easier to find low mile 8.1s because they tend not to be daily driven. My 04 just rolled over 70k.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Must be nice. My 01 2500 8.1 has 195000. But is still running strong!

I may get crucified for this but i think you could find a nice, low-miles, bulletproofed F350 6.0 truck in that price range

Neal3000 said:
I may get crucified for this but i think you could find a nice, low-miles, bulletproofed F350 6.0 truck in that price range

But would you trust it? I might if the work was was well accounted for.

And can you afford to put an engine in it when it shits the bed?

IMO Cost of major drivetrain component replacement should be taken into consideration when purchasing a "well used" vehicle.

Big factor is how realistic your budget is. $15K truck + $5k budget for repairs? or $15K total budget?
Plus how much "other stuff" are you going to fix? Interior parts? Steering/Suspension/Brakes?

Re: Re:

dwa2469 said:
My Boss has a 2000 Chevy with 8.1 has over 300K on it and he drives it every day.
There's a thread on some forum that has a bunch of them with a **** ton of miles.

Re: Tow Rig Recommendations

If stay away from a 6.0 ford, just too many problems that leave ya doa and major expenses
No way a Toyota gonna live long hauling 15k so a dodge is a good bet but I'm a ford guy and I'd say 1999-2003 f350 crew cab dually 7.3 with a 6 speed, put a tuner and intake and rock out, key is finding one that hasn't been beat to death or modded, neither one of my 7.3's are loud and no floorboard heat issues, my excursion rides like a Cadillac and gets 20mpg empty, never towed far with it yet to see what it's like loaded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 99 NBS 2500 with 6.0 and 4l80. its served me well for towing. Tow my jeep all over and my 8000 lbs fifth wheel. But i have recently started hunting an +03 crewcab 8.1w/allison. For as little as I tow I have been super happy with a gas burner. Hell the 8.1L makes 500ftlbs of torque!

TBItoy said:
But would you trust it? I might if the work was was well accounted for.

And can you afford to put an engine in it when it shits the bed?

IMO Cost of major drivetrain component replacement should be taken into consideration when purchasing a "well used" vehicle.

Big factor is how realistic your budget is. $15K truck + $5k budget for repairs? or $15K total budget?
Plus how much "other stuff" are you going to fix? Interior parts? Steering/Suspension/Brakes?

I've had an '05 6.0 for 5-6 years now, and pulled my rig and camper all over the southeast, I bought it from a friend who did the headstuds, egr delete, etc, I've done a few more things like ficm upgrade, dummy standpipes, billet water pump, I've had to clean the turbo a couple of times, that's it. I'll admit, I'm always a little nervous about it because of all the horrible stories but knock on wood mine has been solid. Just my opinion but you can get a lot nicer bulletproofed 6.0 for the same money or less as a clapped out 7.3 or 5.9. Also, if you were to find a non-proofed one for a great price- The bulletproofing can be done by most anyone with reasonable mechanic skills too, and you don't have to pull the cab off to do it either.

What is the lowest MPG pulling that you have heard of an 8.1L getting? I'm not expecting more than 6-8, but how bad can it get when it's loaded down at 12,000+ lbs?

squeak12 said:
What is the lowest MPG pulling that you have heard of an 8.1L getting? I'm not expecting more than 6-8, but how bad can it get when it's loaded down at 12,000+ lbs?

Mine gets 10 pulling my 30ft camper that weighs around 7000 lbs. Empty it gets 12.5-13 at best.

Re: Re: Tow Rig Recommendations

RandysMJ said:
Mine gets 10 pulling my 30ft camper that weighs around 7000 lbs. Empty it gets 12.5-13 at best.
Is that 4.10 or 3.73?

RandysMJ said:
4.10 with 285/75r16 tires.

Well hell my 6.0 gets about exactly same MPG with same tire,gear and etc. I stayed away from the 8.1 cause I read most people bitching that 7-8mpg was best ::)

Re:

Mine gets 7ish on 33s pulling dad's 20ft camper. 8-9 pulling my jeep which I'm pretty sure is heavier but more aerodynamic. 10 empty most times in the summer. Gonna go back down to stock size tires here soon. The couple of tanks I ran empty on stock tires were 11-12. Gonna get a blackbear tune which might get me me another half a gallon. I didn't buy it for gas mileage though. It pulls like a sumbitch and I don't have to worry about it like a diesel and that's all I care about. Just put gas and oil in them and run them. Anybody that tells you their weak either has the e brake stuck on, missing some plug wires, or think if there's not a turbo whistle than it ain't pulling hard enough.

jimbo0076 said:
Well hell my 6.0 gets about exactly same MPG with same tire,gear and etc. I stayed away from the 8.1 cause I read most people bitching that 7-8mpg was best ::)

When I was looking for a truck I was looking at 6.0 and 8.1. Everybody told me to get the 8.1 because the mpg were about the same. Most of the people were getting the same as me. But there were a few saying they can get 14-15 mpg (which I don't know how) and some getting 9-10.

Mine was getting about 11 when I bought it. Then I did a tune up, cold air intake, 3" true dual exhaust no cats with x pipe and magnaflow magnapacks, and a Diablo I-1000 tuner. Then I started getting what I am now.

Re:

Get you a 70's International 8 door and a 12 valve Cummins.....make sure to do a build thread

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I'd try to find a F350 dually, 4x4, longbed crewcab, with the cummins 5.9 and Allison transmission. Should be a really good truck

I ended up re-evaluating my priorities on what I needed vs. what I wanted. Just picked this 2006 3500 SRW from around Chattanooga. Needs a few minor things but overall looks to be a good truck for $10.5k. I'll probably be into it for $12k after putting a hitch in the bed, routine maintenance and a few other parts.

LBXqm6ul.jpg