• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tow rig shocks

The Luke

No clue if this belongs in tech or general discussion. What kind of shocks have people run on their tow pigs? Specifically 1/2 ton tow pigs. Mine are about shot and I'm leaning toward some of the load adjusting Monroe's 58654. Between my stupid heavy trailer and the jeep being on tons, I've got to figure something out. :driving:

I have put them silver (5100?) Bilsteins on a few 1/2 and 3/4t Chevys

Usually run about 70-75/each.

fixin to put a set on the new digger too

Either Bilstein 5100's as suggested or FOX 2.0's

For your load control, get some firestone airbags. Shocks ain't gonna fix that. You'll thank me later!

wizzo said:
Either Bilstein 5100's as suggested or FOX 2.0's

For your load control, get some firestone airbags. Shocks ain't gonna fix that. You'll thank me later!

Yeah that too.

I got a firestone load leveling kit that has been on 2 1500 chevys, gonna put it over on this one too.

I've always trusted Bilstein HD's or whatever they're called for my daily driver needs.

I've debated on doing the airbag thing on the back of my 08 1500, but everytime I look at the price I'm jus like, "Ehhh....its got me to Windrock and back for 3 years....seems fine."

That's kinda where I'm at. Honestly the truck pulls great. Just getting a bit bouncy. So I'd like to stiffen up the rear.

Re: Re: Tow rig shocks

The Luke said:
That€™s kinda where I€™m at. Honestly the truck pulls great. Just getting a bit bouncy. So I€™d like to stiffen up the rear.
Might be a dumb question but have you played with the position of the jeep on the trailer to adjust your tounge weight?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

onepieceatatime said:
Might be a dumb question but have you played with the position of the jeep on the trailer to adjust your tounge weight?

lol.....that's what I ended up doing and was like, "Ehhh....safe enough". Thanks OSHA! :)

onepieceatatime said:

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I have. Basically, it's an old 16' heavy equip tilt trailer. To get it to pull decent I have to backup the back bumper to the ramps. Otherwise it seems to sway. The picture below is super old, I've redone the mile high fenders and we had the jeep way forward because of all the sketchy tube. But that gives you an idea.
2acbe6e9ed766007805728bf33208447.jpg

I need to wheel behind you a couple more times before that'll happen. I gotta get an extended grabber so I can pick up all the Hundos you drop.

When I bought my half ton last year with 110k miles on it, it was bouncy as **** not even pulling anything. Had to be the original shocks still on it from 2005. I bought some Bilstein 5100's for it front and rear. World of difference. They are a little on the stiffer side, but that would be beneficial to you.

Side note, when I ordered, there were ebay listings saying what truck they fit, like they were valved according to each vehicle. The listing I purchased from said these were valved strictly for my truck.

I have installed Rancho on most every pickup used for towing that I have ever owned including the steering stabilizer. I have never had one to fail and they control the heavy 245/19.5s on my dually great.

TacomaJD said:
When I bought my half ton last year with 110k miles on it, it was bouncy as **** not even pulling anything. Had to be the original shocks still on it from 2005. I bought some Bilstein 5100's for it front and rear. World of difference. They are a little on the stiffer side, but that would be beneficial to you.

Side note, when I ordered, there were ebay listings saying what truck they fit, like they were valved according to each vehicle. The listing I purchased from said these were valved strictly for my truck.
Last time I ordered a set, I got the PN from Bilstien site and searched the web. Found the fronts for much cheaper on eBay.

I would run bilstein's or something similar and if needed add the bags.

I have ran 5100's on everything and have not been to thrilled. Just installed some RS 9000 adjustable on the 17 F 350. Love em. they would be ideal as you could set them soft or firm as you were loaded or empty. I set mine firm and left em. But my truck is looooong.

paradisepwoffrd said:
Part of me would think you'd need a 2.5"+ for the weight of a diesel, but is that only if it's a coilover?

You're not wrong. 2.0's work, but they're on the upper limit of what they can handle.

2.0's with adjusters are a good step in the right direction.

For off-road use and heavy tuning you really need a 2.5.

Re: Re: Re: Tow rig shocks

TRD said:
You're not wrong. 2.0's work, but they're on the upper limit of what they can handle.

2.0's with adjusters are a good step in the right direction.

For off-road use and heavy tuning you really need a 2.5.
That's good to know. Planning to build a better suspension for my dodge, too get a better ride. Wasn't sure if 2.5s would work or if I would have to shell out for 3.0s.