• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Towing laws vs License in Alabama

civicmindedex79

I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone here can guide me in the right direction. First background story. Saturday after the Monsters of Rock ride at AOP I was pulled over on the way home in Jackson County on Hwy 72. I will be the first to admit I was speeding and IS for sure the reason I was pulled over by the trooper. I have a 2004 Chevy 3500 truck and was pulling a 30ft 10ton equipment trailer with dual tandem axles.

Question #1- I have always understood that your "standard" driver's license are good for upto 26,000 lbs of towing. This is true according to him but it is rated off of the GVWR on vehicle and trailer combined. Saying I have the capability of towing 32,000 lbs and my license are good to 26,000 lbs. Although I was only ACTUALLY hauling around 24,000 lbs. I was in violation of Alabama law and need to have a CDL in order to pull the trailer with my truck EVEN IF the trailer is empty it is not allowed by law. Anyone have any better understanding of this law??

Question #2-I have been informed by a couple of CDL carrying people from work that all I need is a Class B "non air brake" CDL. Anyone have any experience with this?

Couple of other "FACTS" stated by the trooper:
Told me I would be totally legal to pull the load with a ford ranger if I could figure out how to get it hooked to the trailer. Due to the GVWR being so low on the ford ranger.
Also was told that it was well within his rights to make me drop the trailer where it was and leave it until a CDL driver could come pick it up.
I do not want anyone to think I am trying to beat up on the trooper for doing his job and actually appreciate him giving me the info because I was told what little I know by the women at the tag office when I purchased my weighted tag for the truck to be able to pull said load.
I am sure I have left something out so feel free to ask or bash the hell out of me I am good with it.

Anyone know the judge in Jackson County? Is it worth driving the couple of hours back over to try for driving school or would it be a waste of time?? My driving record is clean for 3 years now trying to keep it that way of possible.

My dad works for the ALDOT. The trooper is correct....it's not how much you're towing. It's how much you can tow. I did know a guy that was forced to drop his trailer and get someone with CDLs to drag it home. (I'm sure he ran his mouth is why.)

As far as what CDL is what I have no idea. They're prolly right in what they suggested. If you dropped back to a 14k trailer you'd be good. That dual tandem is a hoss of a trailer. If I remember right that non dual tandem trailer with a dually or 1 ton will put at 24k and be legal without CDL.

Hope that helps.

I'd pay the ticket. My time would be more valuable.

in ky if it non commercial plate the truck non commercial it would be ok as far as cdl it will be class A and medical card for 10001 lbs

Draco said:
My dad works for the ALDOT. The trooper is correct....it's not how much you're towing. It's how much you can tow. I did know a guy that was forced to drop his trailer and get someone with CDLs to drag it home. (I'm sure he ran his mouth is why.)

As far as what CDL is what I have no idea. They're prolly right in what they suggested. If you dropped back to a 14k trailer you'd be good. That dual tandem is a hoss of a trailer. If I remember right that non dual tandem trailer with a dually or 1 ton will put at 24k and be legal without CDL.

Hope that helps.

I'd pay the ticket. My time would be more valuable.

The problem with the 14k trailer is I am sure we will be well over the 14k limit on a trailer like that. If my understanding is correct that the weight of the trailer as well as load counts. I guess to me it just seems crazy that the law would almost force you to go to a smaller more unsafe trailer. Yes I know I am not forced but don't know anyone that owns a big rig to learn to drive. I myself have never been in a big truck much less drove one. I am going to the license office to try and see what my options are. If nothing else may e this thread will teach another person something that doesn't know like me.

That table is shown in most CDL packets in many states. Most regulations are not state mandated but are federal DOT requirements. Here is my understanding of how all of this works. Any combination of vehicle (and or trailer) over 26,000 pounds will require a CDL license. There is one exception that I am aware of. If you ever noticed, tandem 5k axle trailers are always de-rated to 9,900 or 9,990 pounds. This is because any trailer under 10,000 pounds GVW (not just trailer weight, but trailer weight + allowable payload) is not added to the towing vehicles GVW.

Example 1
13,500 lb GVW 1 ton dually towing a 14k trailer = 27.5K GCVW - A class B cdl is required.

Example 2
19,000 lb GVW F550 towing a 10k (9990 lb gvw) car trailer = 28,990 GCVW - NO cdl is required. This is due to the de-rated trailer.

Example 3
5,500 lb GVW Chevy Colorado towing a 14k trailer with 2 vehicles on it = 19.5K GCVW. No CDL is required. This is where the loophole in the law needs closed, because this is legal even though the driver and anyone near them on the road are likely to die.

**There is one thing to note. If your vehicle is registered personally and not commercially you may have a leg to stand on in court. No where in those cdl handbooks do they differentiate between the 2 classes, and when hauling for personal use some Leo may cut some slack. My 2¢ on this subject**

My 32' low deck tag trailer with 2 7000lb rated axles only weighs 4100 lbs (according to the title).

So I'm within the rating to haul 9900 lbs on it, and still be legal in pretty much any state with just a regular "class D" license.

I've pulled my Dad's dual tandem 20,000lb rated gooseneck flat deck trailer (which weighs 7200 lbs empty) with 2 rigs on it.

I MUCH prefer the lighter single tired trailer, and I get ~3 mpg better fuel mileage. Towing 3000 less lbs and getting the rigs down out of the wind helps a LOT.

You might look into picking up a smaller "rig hauling" trailer specifically for 4wheelin trips. Get better fuel mileage on long trips, pull less weight, etc.

Besides, you can never have too many trailers

thumb.gif

In pa if ur noncommerical u have to stay under 17k to be legal. Unless u get combination plates. Which means higher insurance and biyearly inspection. If ur commercial u need a cdl over 10k

TBItoy said:
My 32' low deck tag trailer with 2 7000lb rated axles only weighs 4100 lbs (according to the title).

So I'm within the rating to haul 9900 lbs on it, and still be legal in pretty much any state with just a regular "class D" license.

I've pulled my Dad's dual tandem 20,000lb rated gooseneck flat deck trailer (which weighs 7200 lbs empty) with 2 rigs on it.

I MUCH prefer the lighter single tired trailer, and I get ~3 mpg better fuel mileage. Towing 3000 less lbs and getting the rigs down out of the wind helps a LOT.

You might look into picking up a smaller "rig hauling" trailer specifically for 4wheelin trips. Get better fuel mileage on long trips, pull less weight, etc.

Besides, you can never have too many trailers

thumb.gif

Here in Florida, any trailer "rated" to haul over 10,000lbs (unless an RV) is required to have a CDL. If you have a trailer rated to 14k, you can have it derated to 10, BUT that 10k is the combined weight of the trailer and the load on it.

There is one small loophole in the law that can get you around the weight rating. If you are towing a registered vehicle, as long as the trailer doesn't have a tag on it, the registered vehicle and trailer are considered a solid entity as long as they are together. At that point the trailer falls under the same laws as a "tow dolly". Keep in mind every state may be different on this, but I have been dragging around a 30ft tag trailer with 2 rigs on it for well over 10yrs, and I have never put a tag on it. Been stopped a few times pulling it for speeding, but never had anything said about the lack of a tag on the trailer. Then again showing my badge probably got me out of anything that was coming my way.

As far as the class B license, they are incorrect. A Class B license is for a straight truck. When you pull a trailer you become a combination vehicle and would need a Class A CDL license. Go look at that chart JohnG linked you to and read it.
It states that if you have a combination vehicle and pull a trailer over X weight you need a class A license. Hope this helps.

70Scout said:
As far as the class B license, they are incorrect. A Class B license is for a straight truck. When you pull a trailer you become a combination vehicle and would need a Class A CDL license. Go look at that chart JohnG linked you to and read it.
It states that if you have a combination vehicle and pull a trailer over X weight you need a class A license. Hope this helps.

This is correct. My F450 and 20k lb gooseneck falls under class A CDL. I get away with it in Alabama but its pushing it crossing state lines. I have used the "commercial" in CDL defense once and played dumb but its not worth the risk. The tickets can get expensive! As a general rule, if you get pulled over and they want to write you a ticket, they will find something.

I have a sister in law that is a judge. In Alabama, most courts will let you take the driving school anywhere in the state and just mail in your proof with court costs. It is worth it for insurance reasons in the long run.

70Scout said:

Yea I read most of it at work last night and see that I would be looking at Class A for sure. I appreciate the information from everyone and know out of 3 years of hauling this I haven't ever been stopped for it and probably wouldn't have this time if I wasn't speeding. The trailer doesn't belong to me and I am not in a position financially or have anywhere to keep a 30ft trailer at my current place so buying another currently isn't a feasible option at this time. I have part of an off day Thursday so I will go over and see the ladies at the driving post and see what they have to say.

Re: Re: Towing laws vs License in Alabama

I haven't took the time to read all of this, but did skim through some of it. I would think if you go ahead and obtain your class b cdl's or whatever it is to be able to haul what you have legally, you can wait and go to court on the specified court date, show the judge proof of your recently obtained license and askt to talk to the prosecutor in an attempt to keep the fine off your record, and you'll most likely get what you ask for. You'll still pay court costs, but the fine will be tossed out and no driving school classes. That's what I would do anyway.

Sent from my DROID4 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Re: Re: Re: Re: Towing laws vs License in Alabama

TacomaJD said:
I haven't took the time to read all of this, but did skim through some of it. I would think if you go ahead and obtain your class a cdl's or whatever it is to be able to haul what you have legally, you can wait and go to court on the specified court date, show the judge proof of your recently obtained license and askt to talk to the prosecutor in an attempt to keep the fine off your record, and you'll most likely get what you ask for. You'll still pay court costs, but the fine will be tossed out and no driving school classes. That's what I would do anyway.

KXCRAWLER13 said:
Get your class. B no airbrake go to court ticket gets dismissed w/court costs

I continue to be told this but if I am reading it right?? Big if?? Class B is not for pulling a trailer even the non air brake. I am going to go talk to them and try and get a straight answer.

civicmindedex79 said:
I continue to be told this but if I am reading it right?? Big if?? Class B is not for pulling a trailer even the non air brake. I am going to go talk to them and try and get a straight answer.

Might just be easier to get your class A, and be covered in EVERY state you may end up in and not have to worry about it. That or mount a shitter, microwave, and working 11V power on your trailer and register it as an RV and never have to worry about what you weigh again (excluding cali of course)

KXCRAWLER13 said:
Get your class. B no airbrake go to court ticket gets dismissed w/court costs

A class B CDL doesn't help. That is for straight trucks and pulling less than 10k. If you have a heavy right foot I would steer clear of a CDL. Points are twice as bad for tickets and no possibility of driving school. This has been my dilemma because I'm bad about speeding. I have the vehicles and the means to get a class A but one bad traffic stop and your insurance and wallet will be hurting. I've grown up around trucking and heavy construction but I dropped back to a regular class C license because of my heavy right foot and I rarely need a class A. There are pros and cons to both sides. Like mentioned earlier, my next tow rig and trailer will be a big rig with a race hauler registered as a rv. A rv registration is about the only loophole that applies to most states but not all.

In the state of GA you can get a cdl class A with a small single axel truck w/airbrakes pulling a single axel trailer.
I have got some of my employees a cdl like this.