• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toy hauler big enough to haul a buggy?

I have many dozens of hours into researching this very topic. I have my current 44' Vintage for sale here. After traveling the country racing U4 and committing to do it for years to come this is a very important topic to me.

Here is the ideal set up in order...
1. Tractor trailer
2. Class A or Super C pulling an enclosed car trailer
3. 48' Vintage, Millenial, ATC, or what ever with living quarters.
4. Anything else you cobble together but works.

1. Tractor trailer.
Buy one and register it as an RV. Buy a used trailer and do anything you want to the interior and living quarters. Surprisingly affordable. A new trailer is $30,000. Near unlimited weight for what we do.

This is an awesome set up but you will be in $200,000 or so for a middle of the road set up. $100,000 for a 10 year old set up. This way you can keep your tools and buggy in the trailer and tow it with a truck or the camper. It keep everything safe from weather and in a bind you can sleep in the enclosed car trailer. Set up a mobile shop in the trailer. keep the buggy in it at home, what ever. You only need a 30' trailer to jam 2 buggies in. when pulling with an RV the passengers can use the bathroom and make you sandwiches going down the road. you need a 330HP D motor at a minimum with a 16,000 lb hitch on the RV.

3. This is also a great set up. 2 buggies and living quarters. Its the most obtainable and reasonable option. For $300 a month you can get a nice one. for $400 a month you can get a custom one any way you want. I have been in this set up for 3 years and really cant complain. You will need a 3500 minimum. 4500 or 5500 truck even better and safer. These can get pricey if you go to custom. you can get them for new for $40,000 or $115,000. mine was $50,000. Used you can find them for $30,000-$50,000. They hold their value really well. Used ones can be only a few thousand less than new.

4. this option is better than an open trailer and tent.

I am in #3 looking to change to #2. but with a twist. I have been negotiating on a bathroom trailer. a 34' aluminum trailer that comes with a bathroom, shower, workbench and tool cabinets. AC, heat, insulated etc. Now add some drop down beds. You end up with basic camping in a tag along triple axle trailer. it can fit a buggy and a UTV with feet of extra room. Grab the truck and go my myself for a wheeling weekend OR pull it with the RV. Now you can sleep 6 people in the trailer and 6+ in the RV. you have 2 bathrooms and showers, tons of water etc. Just the trailer would be a great option for some of you guys. http://www.trailernut.com/2017-34-bathroom-shower-trailer-auto-master-car-racing-trailer-enclosed-trailer--KCcb%7CSW.html A lot of companies make them. For me this will be my pit crew sleeper at races. 3 queen beds drop down from the ceiling, etc. RV for the family.

And for the record. Work N Plays are total junk. do a little research. Most dealers won't carry them anymore because the quality is so bad, it reflects poorly on the trailer dealer to have them on the lot :****:

Chuck19 said:
I have looked at them also but can't get the buggy in the back door !

If the lights are in the drop down gate, its a wide door. If the lights are in the door frame, then its not as wide. Quick way to tell by looking at the back. My vintage is over 90" wide.

I have my own 48' pace with 20' camper in the front and 95" wide door in the back and fit two Rockwelled buggies in it without Putting roller tires on. I figured if I'm spending that kind of money there ain't no way I'm dicking around in the dark or rain swapping wheels . I also store buggies in there all the time in my driveway . I love this setup for what we do . I pulled it with a dodge 3500 dually for years but recently went to the 5500 for much better braking under that kind of weight . We stay in truck stops, offroad parks etc. it's awesome. I travel with Poke a lot as well going to ultra 4 races and his trailer is just like mine, stayed in his a lot . If you actually wanna be able to haul a rig in it you need to go with a enclosed trailer of some sort , work and plays and toy haulers are built out of campers and have very low cargo weight limits . Go to enclosed based trailer and you can carry rigs, fuel tools etc.

Poke said:
I have many dozens of hours into researching this very topic. I have my current 44' Vintage for sale here. After traveling the country racing U4 and committing to do it for years to come this is a very important topic to me.

Here is the ideal set up in order...
1. Tractor trailer
3. 48' Vintage, Millenial, ATC, or what ever with living quarters.
4. Anything else you cobble together but works.

Looks like you would be going from #2 to #3 Chuck, except your trailer is open

I sold my trailer a few weeks ago and have started to look for an enclosed with a shower and toilet. I can find 44-52' race trailers from 12-16k all day used. But almost every 28-32' I find is almost double the price and in worse shape. I have a 350 dually, but have zero need for a trailer over 32'. I found a 28' this week for 5k and ended up with the old lost title bs. Asked for the vin, and they went ghost.

A lot of the weekend warrior campers have garages big enough for a buggy. We almost bought an Eclipse 39tsg camper. The dimensions on the garage were perfect. The camper was really nice, but it seems like everytime we make a purchase like that, we usually have buyers remorse after a few months due to depreciation, lack of use, and how quickly campers seem to start falling apart. I ended up buying a Lance truck camper and it has been perfect. While there are things about a motorhome that are nice, one thing I hated is if you needed to run into town, or you are taking the boat to the lake, a large MH isn't really good for those. With the truck camper, I can take the boat, the enclosed (full of dirtbikes), or car hauler out for a weekend of camping. If I need to run into town, I just drop the camper and go..

fl-krawler said:
A lot of the weekend warrior campers have garages big enough for a buggy.

The camper you speak of is rated for 3,000 LBS. Very few 5th wheel styles have a 14' or larger garage. Most of those are rated for 2500lbs. I think 1 or 2 in the market are rated for 4000 lbs. They were made for dirt bikes originally and now UTV's. Over the last 1-2 years you are seeing larger UTV based garages pop up. 3 years ago you only had a couple options with a bigger garage.

To go further I know someone who has that style, racer who travels the country. Great guy but has told me it scares the hell out of him. It's hard to control with all the rear weight and dangerous.

Poke said:
The camper you speak of is rated for 3,000 LBS. Very few 5th wheel styles have a 14' or larger garage. Most of those are rated for 2500lbs. I think 1 or 2 in the market are rated for 4000 lbs. They were made for dirt bikes originally and now UTV's. Over the last 1-2 years you are seeing larger UTV based garages pop up. 3 years ago you only had a couple options with a bigger garage.

To go further I know someone who has that style, racer who travels the country. Great guy but has told me it scares the hell out of him. It's hard to control with all the rear weight and dangerous.

Some of their older models (pre bankrupcy) had higher ratings, and at the time you could order them with reinforced cargo area's.. I agree on the weight bias.. no pin weight and an 18k load has disaster written all over it