• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trail Comms?

What's the latest on the radios?
It's funny how something seemingly small can become a bunch of work. In order to install the radio in the yj, I had to build a dash to mount it to. Nothing fancy but it all takes time. Then, while I had it in the garage anyway, I went ahead and put a swaybar on the rear. Of course that also meant relocating the lower shock mounts but that's why I love my portaband. Also had to address her brakes so swapped out one front caliper and made a 2000 ram 2500 master cylinder fit. It's only gravity bled at the moment but works really well. Still trying to get one more shakedown in before Harlan. Hopefully this coming weekend

I literally just pulled the buggy into the garage yesterday and quickly realized that I couldn't fit the radio and intercom where I had envisioned it, plan B was also a no-go. So now I'm making a rear console thingy to house the units between/behind the seats. Figured I shouldn't need to fiddle with the units much at all so don't really care that they're not right in front of me. This will also give a little more protection from the elements. Been working a lot of ot lately so it's been tough finding the time but I'm finally getting somewhere.

Last edited:
20210912_161808.jpg
20210906_113039.jpg
20210906_172434.jpg
20210910_174256.jpg
20210910_173639.jpg

20210912_161702.jpg

Looking good man !
Thanks man. I got just a little more done in the meantime. Close clearance on the back of the intercom so had to make sure it fits. Now just need to see how big the connectors are going into the back. I forgot to take those into account when I designed the consol.
20210912_174326.jpg
20210912_174656.jpg

Realtime updates... I suck. Almost clears but that's only if I shift the whole consol an inch to the driver's side. Looks like my options are to either cut the console on the horizontal portion below the bezel, shorten it and somehow add material to the top rear side. Or maybe take some angle out of one of the bends. Third option is just redo the entire console and move the radio face portion ½-1" forward.
20210912_175612.jpg

And I've also realized that I'll definitely need to basically box in the radios on the back, sides and underneath since apparently a lot of mud tends to splash up in that area.

Can't win for losing on the radios and "well while it's in here let's address this too."
So my intake tube has always been barely hanging on to the intake manifold. PITA to get to (my fault) but while scoping for a spot for the radio, I got good access to get that fixed up. So yeah, I go into things to get one thing done, and fix however many more I gain access to along the way

So my intake tube has always been barely hanging on to the intake manifold. PITA to get to (my fault) but while scoping for a spot for the radio, I got good access to get that fixed up. So yeah, I go into things to get one thing done, and fix however many more I gain access to along the way
Progress is progress at least :dblthumb:

Latest posts