• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trail Gear axles

leeadam94

Wanting to buy a Tacoma trail gear housing that comes with the inner cromo axle shafts. Wonder if any one has had experience with these shafts.?
I have OG bobbylongfields and 300m rcvs. So question is, are regular cromo inner shafts going to hold up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stay with ur 300m shafts the trail gear stuff is cheaper for a reason import steel .the og Bobby longs we're good , but alot of ppl say the new ones r garbage.use all ur parts and just flip an old 79-85 housing...just a little bit of grinding and welding , and oblong a few holes and ur done. I've flipped a few ,and i use all the tacoma brakes stuff etc..86-95 front wheel hubs.... R have someone make 2" longer inners,or call rcv they can do em ..good luck.

EddieHall said:
Stay with ur 300m shafts the trail gear stuff is cheaper for a reason import steel .the og Bobby longs we're good , but alot of ppl say the new ones r garbage.use all ur parts and just flip an old 79-85 housing...just a little bit of grinding and welding , and oblong a few holes and ur done. I've flipped a few ,and i use all the tacoma brakes stuff etc..86-95 front wheel hubs.... R have someone make 2" longer inners,or call rcv they can do em ..good luck.
I plan to buy the housing just not sure if I want the shafts they offer with it or would it be worth extra to go ahead and get rcv inners made

EddieHall said:
I plan to buy the housing just not sure if I want the shafts they offer with it or would it be worth extra to go ahead and get rcv inners made

Just buy the inners call rcv ,i had a guy build me a set he's in Mississippi. Geartechhd.com great guy they were 440.00 shipped

leeadam94 said:
Wanting to buy a Tacoma trail gear housing that comes with the inner cromo axle shafts. Wonder if any one has had experience with these shafts.?
I have OG bobbylongfields and 300m rcvs. So question is, are regular cromo inner shafts going to hold up?

I'm running that axle housing, with the inner axle shafts that come with it. I haven't had any issues with them, so far. It's under a 1st Gen yota with a 22r on propane, with 37" reds. Fixing to be running a 2rz with an automatic.

I have been told the inners are fine, that the difference, is the 300m star in the birf that makes rcv better

Yep, the trail gear longfields have that double heat treated non-300M star. I ended up with a set of trail gears after breaking an OG longfield birf . The trail gear star/cage is also very loose to start with. The OG longfield birf I didn't break was still tighter than the brand new trail gear ones, that OG long was also 8 years old...

91rctoyota said:
Yep, the trail gear longfields have that double heat treated non-300M star. I ended up with a set of trail gears after breaking an OG longfield birf . The trail gear star/cage is also very loose to start with. The OG longfield birf I didn't break was still tighter than the brand new trail gear ones, that OG long was also 8 years old...
I have OG long field bells and stubs I'll be using. Just concerned about the inner shafts they send with the housing

I know this is semi running off topic but I'm curious of what those actually running the trail gear longfields think about them. Cheaper than RCV, are they worth buying for use in a mild trail rig?

xjtony said:
I know this is semi running off topic but I€™m curious of what those actually running the trail gear longfields think about them. Cheaper than RCV, are they worth buying for use in a mild trail rig?
Here's the deal. And I'm preaching to myself,it all depends on how u drive. Always have to remember what drivetrain u have. Me personally I want the best so I'm getting 300m rcv but for trail riding I'm sure the regular trail gear axles would be great considering the price. I will say my OG longs have never ever had an issue..... and they take a beating

I€™d get the RCV with 4340 inners before buying TG shafts. (Which look to be the same price.....???~$650)

TG makes/sells a lot of handy/cheap stuff for building a Toyota (if you€™re into kit stuff) but I would stick to good ol made in USA RCV for shafts

leeadam94 said:
I have OG long field bells and stubs I'll be using. Just concerned about the inner shafts they send with the housing

My dad has the inner trail gear shafts in his buggy with 37 reds, 22re and they have held up well, no twisted splines or anything.

xjtony said:
I know this is semi running off topic but I'm curious of what those actually running the trail gear longfields think about them. Cheaper than RCV, are they worth buying for use in a mild trail rig?

Trail gear has two different types of longs, the normal ones are only single heat treated 4340. The gun drilled set are double heat treated 4340. I've had the gun drilled set in my buggy for 13 rides now with 36" iroks, and they have held up pretty well knock on wood. And I drive it like a wanna be rock bouncer. I can't speak for the strength of the single heat treated ones

I haven't run the TG Longs, but as it relates to the quality of TG shafts, I had a set of their Dirty 30's in my old toyota rig on 39.5s. They held up fine for the 5 years I wheeled it, and my buddy is still wheelin the piss out of that truck. No twisted splines or other signs of damage.

kickdeez said:
I haven't run the TG Longs, but as it relates to the quality of TG shafts, I had a set of their Dirty 30's in my old toyota rig on 39.5s. They held up fine for the 5 years I wheeled it, and my buddy is still wheelin the piss out of that truck. No twisted splines or other signs of damage.

That's good to know, after the buyout everyone said dirty 30s were terrible compared to Longfields, but no breaks in 5 years is pretty solid, assuming you are wheeling it not leaf looking......

poolman said:
That's good to know, after the buyout everyone said dirty 30s were terrible compared to Longfields, but no breaks in 5 years is pretty solid, assuming you are wheeling it not leaf looking......

Definitely wheelin. Grenaded a lockrite in the front axle last year, and when I pulled everything apart to replace the third, the Dirty 30's still looked pristine. But to your point, the longevity of these shafts will absolutely depend largely on your driving style. I have no interest in airing it out rock bouncer style. I like a good mix of crawling with the occasional 2nd or 3rd gear clutch dumps and wheel speed when needed. The TG shafts have held up to that kind of driving with no problems.

Re: Re: Trail Gear axles

paradisepwoffrd said:
?

They stopped selling dirty 30s once they got longfield, but didn't everything really just become rebranded dirty 30s?

From what I understand, the "original" dirty 30s were RCV birfs, but TG inner shafts.

At some point (after acquiring Longfield name) they went to all overseas sourced stuff.

I've owned mulitple sets of "real Longfields", TG Dirty 30s, and Nitro branded RCV Toyota axle shafts, and I'm pretty sure they were all made in the same place.

I may be wrong, but that's how I remember it from like 8-10 years ago...

Latest posts