• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trail gears new longfield.

my toys

36 or 37 irocs on beadlocks and squirrel powered. 3rd ride on them.

A set of real longs followed these and made the obstical. Discuss

Probably the most impressive birfield break I've seen. I have never seen the bell split in 2 pieces and separate completely from the shaft.

Guarantee you the aren't even close to the quality of Longfield I purchased 9 years ago.

Re: Re: Re: Trail gears new longfield.

bamatoy said:
Probably the most impressive birfield break I've seen. I have never seen the bell split in 2 pieces and separate completely from the shaft.

Guarantee you the aren't even close to the quality of Longfield I purchased 9 years ago.

This is a real 30 spline long. 5 years ago or so

IMG_20110313_161231.jpg

Broke it on 35s in this rig
2011-08-13131612.jpg

**** happens, warranty it and buy one extra for a spare.

I carried a full extra set of longs in the tow rig for years

Everything breaks, even longs, pics prove it. Three rides thou, I am sure all the broken longs had a few more than 3 rides on them... ???

my toys said:
Everything breaks, even longs, pics prove it. Three rides thou, I am sure all the broken longs had a few more than 3 rides on them... ???

supposedly only two things are different with the new "longs" 1) Bobby's heat treating process is gone 2) So is the best warranty on the planet... It is what it is

muddinmetal said:
supposedly only two things are different with the new "longs" 1) Bobby's heat treating process is gone 2) So is the best warranty on the planet... It is what it is

They are not being made by RCV either. So basically they are totally different. Only thing authentic about them is the name. molaugh

See my Longfield FJ80 warranty thread on Pirate, lots of good info posted by others in it on the issue.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/1738313-fj80-longfield-axles-warranty.html

muddinmetal said:

The big one is that RCV is no longer making them either.

Oh, and they don't have 300M guts anymore (like the original 30 spline Longs)

Trail Gear has moved production overseas.

Notice that TG is no longer touting the "Made in USA"...

I have a set of "Made in USA" Dirty 30s that I'm pretty sure were produced by RCV, and have had a set of Nitro 30 spliners that even had RCV logos on them... But neither one of those had the 300M guts in the birf that the Longs were supposed to have.

TBItoy said:
The big one is that RCV is no longer making them either.

Oh, and they don't have 300M guts anymore (like the original 30 spline Longs)

RCV is gonna be the new leader for good shafts. Lifetime warranty as long as you are running 40's or smaller tires, made with 300m internals in the birfs, even the FJ80's are being made with 300m internals, whereas Bobby's Longs for FJ80's were 4340 chromoly through the entire axle assembly. Basically if you want anything that resembles the quality of an original Longfield, buy RCV and don't waste your time with Trail Gear's imitation garbage.

TacomaJD said:
RCV is gonna be the new leader for good shafts. Lifetime warranty as long as you are running 40's or smaller tires, made with 300m internals in the birfs, even the FJ80's are being made with 300m internals, whereas Bobby's Longs for FJ80's were 4340 chromoly through the entire axle assembly. Basically if you want anything that resembles the quality of an original Longfield, buy RCV and don't waste your time with Trail Gear's imitation garbage.

I have longs in my fj80 front, hate to hear this. When they break I will buy rcv.

my toys said:
I have longs in my fj80 front, hate to hear this. When they break I will buy rcv.

I just broke an inner Long and will be running a stock inner with long birf until something else breaks. Then I will probably break down and spend the money on RCV's.

I got trail gear rear chrome moly axles, they are the biggest piece of junk made, i have already broke 2, and the last one broke at the wheel and about half way up the splines going into the carrier! 2 breaks on same axle at the same time! and they are made in china.

Re: Re: Re: Trail gears new longfield.

zukimaster said:
I got trail gear rear chrome moly axles, they are the biggest piece of junk made, i have already broke 2, and the last one broke at the wheel and about half way up the splines going into the carrier! 2 breaks on same axle at the same time! and they are made in china.

Trail Gear is like Harbor Freight....some of their junk is worth the money, but some of it ain't worth a nickel.