• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trailer deck treatment

JeffH454

I finally got my new trailer and I'm looking at coating or treating those virgin deck boards , and with the cost of lumber looking like it's never coming down I want something good. This is my first nice trailer and I went up to a 14k Ironbull so it'll have a mini-x and skid steer along with cars and a Jeep on it. What are you guys using..house deck stuff..something specific for equipment trailers…non-skid coating..old motor oil..nothing?

A carport, shed, or garage to keep the trailer under when you're not using it.

Keeping it covered/out of the weather will make it last long enough that rot won't be an issue.

A carport, shed, or garage to keep the trailer under when you're not using it.

Keeping it covered/out of the weather will make it last long enough that rot won't be an issue.
Unfortunately that's not a option, it's gonna have to sit outside. I'm realistic , I know anything that lives outside will take abuse from the elements but I'd like to do what I can.

I use herculiner from Lowes on mine, if you don't mind a black deck and a little texture
I thought about that..did you pull the wood off and cover 100% or just what you could get to? I was wondering how well a rubberized coating would bond to wood or how easily it cleans or if it stands up to abuse..has the sun faded it much?

My buddy uses old diesel motor oil. Stains it pretty black and last a long time. Just don't let the tree huggers know it

I just rolled it on, didn't remove the boards. It holds up pretty good, and stuck pretty well.i need to re-do mine. The trailer is 12 years old and has the original boards, and they are in pretty good shape

I need to replace the deck boards on mine and was thinking of using a stain or something, but I like the idea of the herculiner. Mine also sits outside and while it has lasted way longer than it should have it seems like a little protection would go a long way.

I need to replace the deck boards on mine and was thinking of using a stain or something, but I like the idea of the herculiner. Mine also sits outside and while it has lasted way longer than it should have it seems like a little protection would go a long way.
I just used it on the front of my camper, and about to do the deck on my flatbed. I've always had good luck out of the stuff. I did the floor in a tj I used to have and on the inside of my old duck boat
Snapchat-1618121153.jpg

My buddy uses old diesel motor oil. Stains it pretty black and last a long time. Just don't let the tree huggers know it
That's how we stained everything wooden for my grandpa. He had a couple of 55 gallon drums of old oil, gas, diesel, varnish etc. Just mix it up decent and apply. Other than the smell for a few days it worked great and also had a side effect of keeping the carpenter bees away.

I just used it on the front of my camper, and about to do the deck on my flatbed. I've always had good luck out of the stuff. I did the floor in a tj I used to have and on the inside of my old duck boatView attachment 161319
That looks great on the front of the camper and should help prevent any rock chips from the Pete.

We used to mix diesel and old oil and brush on in our wood floor grain trucks back in the day. Diesel was just to thin the oil to make it brush easier.

Nothing to do with the wood but with it sitting outside I would invest in tire covers for the spare and the axles. The sun takes a toll on tires

Ive used a diesel/motor oil mix for years works great and lasts well.

For best result sit in direct sun for a few hrs before and it really soaks it up . Do at least two coats with time in between, it will keep soaking it up.

I use a garden sprayer and drain hot oil from
An engine into it and cut woth about 20% diesel works well

It doesn't bleed or stink but it will get your clothes dirty if you sit on it.

Ive used a diesel/motor oil mix for years works great and lasts well.

For best result sit in direct sun for a few hrs before and it really soaks it up . Do at least two coats with time in between, it will keep soaking it up.

I use a garden sprayer and drain hot oil from
An engine into it and cut woth about 20% diesel works well

It doesn't bleed or stink but it will get your clothes dirty if you sit on it.
On the clothes dirty if you sit on it comment, is that still the case after a few days/weeks/months/years or just for a bit after application?

We always used it for fence post staining and places you wouldn't be sitting on anyway so just curious.

Latest posts