• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trailer Tie Down Methods (Best Practices)

Elliott

fl-krawler said:
Anyhow, unlike a lot of people, I prefer to tie my buggy down by the chassis, not by a strap around the axles. One of the things that suck, is when pulling multiple rigs, trying to fish myself in between them to tie them down to the trailer. On this chassis I added D ring clevises to the ends of the floor tubes. This should allow me to cris cross my straps easily on the sides of the buggy, and not have to worry about the front/back

What's your thinking on tying down the frame instead of tying down the axles? Seems like it would be hard on the shocks?

Trailer Tie Down Methods

Elliott said:
What's your thinking on tying down the frame instead of tying down the axles? Seems like it would be hard on the shocks?

Suspension works agonist straps the whole time. If you cinch it down to the bumps not so bad but if not straps will come loose or break when you hit big bumps and suspension compresses. I'm sure it will work fine as long as its tight.

Trailer Tie Down Methods

Elliott said:

I have to agree you should tie down by the axles and let the sprung weight do its thing. No need to try and strap all that energy down. Let it work for you, not against you.

Trailer Tie Down Methods

JohnG said:
I have to agree you should tie down by the axles and let the sprung weight do its thing. No need to try and strap all that energy down. Let it work for you, not against you.
I tried strapping down the chassis memorial day weekend, it was a scary ride home. I couldn't keep the trailer from fish tailing. I pulled over and re-strapped it to the axles. It was night and day difference, and I didn't redistribute the weight any. Maybe on a gooseneck, but never again with a bumper pull.

Trailer Tie Down Methods

Every time I tie to the axles, my trailer has a feeling like the sway of the buggies pulls the trailer around, or gives the feeling like something is loose on the trailer. When I strap them down by the chassis I don't get that feeling. I use 10K rated ratchet straps, and (knock on wood) in 15yrs I have never had one strap break or come loose on me (and they are checked every time I stop for fuel).
19075_103332839693350_5310768_n.jpg

Trailer Tie Down Methods

Let's turn this into a towing / trailer thread!

I thought the point of tying down axle is because if you tie down at the chassis the suspension can move as you go over bumps and create slack in the chains leaving the possibility open to a hook coming undone or other such terribleness. And then buses full of nuns transporting kittens die.

Trailer Tie Down Methods

i always strap the axles down and suck my winch tight so the body doesn't roll, but i am still old school and most of my buddies make fun of me for still using chains and binders instead of straps.

Trailer Tie Down Methods

zayne2427 said:
i always strap the axles down and suck my winch tight so the body doesn't roll, but i am still old school and most of my buddies make fun of me for still using chains and binders instead of straps.

I've been debating the switch to straps also.

Re: Trailer Tie Down Methods

If you do strap to chassi I suggest you pull suspension all the way down so that you don't create slack in your choice of bindings.

I always attach to axles on anything I haul and it never moves. Only way it could is if a strap breaks.

ive had way to many straps break on me. I chain and binder the rig to the trailer by the axles and let the suspension do its job on the rig. tows like a dream.

We had some guys haul a pick at work one time and they used binders to the tow hooks, the tension and the bouncing of the load actually bent the frame up in the middle.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my enclosed I would use 4. Front to back tie downs and back to front tie downs around axles. Also crossed them. Might have been over kill but never had a buggy move.

My buddy used the winch and killed a warm 9500 from the bouncing and shock loads. Busted the gears inside winch.

Never Checked load rating to see if I was good but I like the 1 1/2" straps. Just seemed a lot easier to work with then 2".

I always strap to the axles with axle loops. A strap at every corner.

I would never use anything less. A few years ago I was in a wreck hauling my buggy. Someone stopped in front of me trying to turn into a gas station. There was a car blocking the entrance so they stopped in the road. I was only doing about 30, but I hit them hard enough to knock them into the car that was blocking the entrance and total both cars. One of the straps on the rear of the buggy snapped and the buggy shifted about 4" to one side on the trailer. If I was using one long strap looped under the pinion like I've seen so many do my the buggy would have ended up in the bed of my truck.

When I went out west towing my rig I used one at each corner on the axle and then put 4 straps that go over the top of the tires, they worked really good and made me feel more confident towing that far. Just going local I just use 4 on the axles pulling straight back. A few years ago I seen a video that showed not to cross the straps because if one got loose the car could still move toward that loose strap but i have seen it done many ways

jp fan said:
A few years ago I seen a video that showed not to cross the straps because if one got loose the car could still move toward that loose strap but i have seen it done many ways

I agree, never cross straps.

I only use 2 straps most of the time.

I run front strap around the axle housing or full hydro ram mount (tube) in a V, and run the rear strap under one tube-over the pinion-under the other tube connect to trailer in a V.

Sometimes I'll use 2 straight straps on the front with axle loops

I use a combination of chain and straps. First find the sweet spot on your trailer where you like you rig. Make a custom length chain or chains from the front axle to the trailer. Attach the chains and put the rig in reverse to remove the slack. Place rig in park. Attach rear straps and snug them up. Place rig in neutral. Tighten rear straps. Place trans in park. Ride out.
My theory is this way the parking paw in the transmission is not under load for all the road miles. Helps to locate the rig in the same spot time after time.