• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trailers tires....is my Chevy just towing my trailer too fast?

Look at speed ratings on the tires. Most aren't rated for what we like to tow at.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update. I couldn't find any reasonably priced today in Tuscaloosa so I'll order a set from amazon tomorrow. In the mean time, I just threw my spare on the worst one to try to get me to Stoney tomorrow and then back home Monday. I had one tire that got ran low and I think the belts separated in it as a result.

Best trailer tires hands down imo is the hercules h-901 . They are a comercial tread. Will last forever. 15in rim is 80 psi and if you upgrade to a 16 in rim and run the compared size you had in a 15 in rim, the tires are 100psi. No more sway , look for a all steel tire. If it has polyester in the tread,belts,or side wall you do not want them. I have alot of trailers small to very large. my large trailer runs the 235 85 16 dually wheels and those are load g 110 psi. I Tow very heavy loads. I have gone round and round over the years with trailer tires. Then i found these. They where founded rite here in the usa in the 50s i believe and they are made in ohio.

cbrjeeper said:
Best trailer tires hands down imo is the hercules h-901 . They are a comercial tread. Will last forever. 15in rim is 80 psi and if you upgrade to a 16 in rim and run the compared size you had in a 15 in rim, the tires are 100psi. No more sway , look for a all steel tire. If it has polyester in the tread,belts,or side wall you do not want them. I have alot of trailers small to very large. my large trailer runs the 235 85 16 dually wheels and those are load g 110 psi. I Tow very heavy loads. I have gone round and round over the years with trailer tires. Then i found these. They where founded rite here in the usa in the 50s i believe and they are made in ohio.

Dad put a set of those on a 14K single wheel trailer that stays overloaded and pulled at 90mph across Arkansas constantly, They are the only tires that have held up, and this set probably has 40K miles on them now.

I've never had a trailer with straight enough axles to get decent mileage out of tires.

In the same class as the Hercules for a little less is the Sailun S637. Best trailer tire I have ever used for the money. Have yet to have an issue and pull my gooseneck heavier and faster than i should on non dually axles. They have proven to be bulletproof for about 5 years now. These are held in high regard in the towing world. I have went through a number of other G rated trailer and LT tires before finding these. The H-901s look very similar.
https://www.sailuntire.ca/plt/S637st.html

Sailuns work for sure. Had them on some 19.5s . See them on rvs and other comercial vehicles. Stick with an all steel 4 ply tire and your pretty much golden. I have the Hercules on all my trailers . The comercial tires on my f550. A/t tires on my excursion and my grand Waggoner and one of my tj's. Really great underrated tire and company as a whole.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

Truck and these 2 trailers all have load g and the rear tires on the truck are load h.
2ba8e7f906b23ecc5bc27104d8d8c1f3.jpg
1d55b68da8119a1d5e7de5e1a1d0c88f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

Bringing this back up. Needing to get a couple of spare wheels and tires for the enclosed trailer.

Tire Size = 235x85x16 Load Range = E Wheel Info = 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern; 16'' wheel.

Any recommended source for a package deal or recommended single wheels and tires?

This has been gone over a lot. Buy a minimum of load range E truck tire and your good to go.
I've been running firestone transforce HT on all my trailers (about 12 trailers most 3 axles) and had very good experience the last 5 years.
Most of my 6x8.5 axles I've switched to hankook tires on a 17.5 rim which is twice as good as Firestone's.
Even the cheap Chinese 17.5 G Load tires do better than any 16 trailer tire.

Read through the thread again last night and saw all the positive comments on going with the truck tire route, so may do that for my spares.

The enclosed has new E rated trailer tires on, and came with one spare wheel/tire combo, but it's a 235x85x15. So just looking to pickup two wheel/tire combos as spares.

....my Trailer Kings STILL goin' strong. No cracks or odd wearing other than the rear tires have a lil more wear than the fronts. Probably rotate them before next ride. Still good tread too.

I recently upgraded from some Chinese bias plys to the Goodyear endurance and what a difference. I can now run 80 with now issues and the roll smooth as butter.

I'm glad y'all brought this back up. I'm still rocking a set of Michelin take offs from a local guys Jeep. I've gotten 4 years out of the $80 set of tires. But I think I'm pushing my luck at this point. They're all cracked and the two fronts he gave me were cupped pretty bad. They're now wore smooth.

I have gone to a 14 ply all steel belted trailer tires. Most of the people I wheel with have don the same and we rarely if ever have trailer tire problems now.

I have gone to a 14 ply all steel belted trailer tires. Most of the people I wheel with have don the same and we rarely if ever have trailer tire problems now.
Read through the thread again last night and saw all the positive comments on going with the truck tire route, so may do that for my spares.

The enclosed has new E rated trailer tires on, and came with one spare wheel/tire combo, but it's a 235x85x15. So just looking to pickup two wheel/tire combos as spares.

This is sort of a "butt dyno" take, not science, but I feel a hell of a lot more confident on 235 85 16 load range E tires on my equipment and dump trailers than with 225 75 15 load range E tires on my previous car hauler and a dump my past employer had. The 15s flexed too much turning sharply (backing into a driveway for example). Also had a few unexplained flatted that seemed like they were from the tires being over loaded.

I've had one sidewall puncture but no other tire issues on the new trailers. I wouldn't hesitate to find the Facebook market place or craigslist guy with pallets of 16" wheel tire combos that work for you and rock out. Even though they are the same load range, they don't act like it. Maybe the additional size keeps them cooler or something

Latest posts