• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trailers tires....is my Chevy just towing my trailer too fast?

Good to get some various feedback on tire options. Will definitely be picking up two 16" spares that have a Load Range/Rating of E.

This is sort of a "butt dyno" take, not science, but I feel a hell of a lot more confident on 235 85 16 load range E tires on my equipment and dump trailers than with 225 75 15 load range E tires on my previous car hauler and a dump my past employer had. The 15s flexed too much turning sharply (backing into a driveway for example). Also had a few unexplained flatted that seemed like they were from the tires being over loaded.

I've had one sidewall puncture but no other tire issues on the new trailers. I wouldn't hesitate to find the Facebook market place or craigslist guy with pallets of 16" wheel tire combos that work for you and rock out. Even though they are the same load range, they don't act like it. Maybe the additional size keeps them cooler or something

You can get the 225/75-15 in a 12 ply all steel if you don't want to switch to 16" wheels.

Will throw the higher rated tires into consideration as well.
Here's a pic of the tires I kept blowing versus the new ones I got in Moab. My tires were 2.5 years old and had no signs of dry rot but I blew 3 on the way to Moab. The new tires ran 10-15 degrees cooler and the trailer definitely feels more solid than before. It's a 36' triple axle enclosed gooseneck.
4DF8720E-1D92-44D2-B71C-08D2DB301217.jpeg
4DF8720E-1D92-44D2-B71C-08D2DB301217.jpeg

Here's a pic of the tires I kept blowing versus the new ones I got in Moab. My tires were 2.5 years old and had no signs of dry rot but I blew 3 on the way to Moab. The new tires ran 10-15 degrees cooler and the trailer definitely feels more solid than before. It's a 36' triple axle enclosed gooseneck.

Thanks for the additional info and first hand experience. My enclosed is a 38' double axle with living quarters etc, so similiar sizes.

What brand tire did you go with?

Thanks for the additional info and first hand experience. My enclosed is a 38' double axle with living quarters etc, so similiar sizes.

What brand tire did you go with?
I want to say they are Hercules H-901. I have friends that are running Sailun with good results too.

Such a terrible end to a great trailer tire. I'm guessing when I backed the jeep off the trailer the last time it popped a weld on the inside fenderwell of the trailer and then that piece of metal rubbed the inside sidewall till it blew up. Got all 4 of these 5 years ago and they STILL look great....MAYBE 1/2 worn, all even, no cracks and always at 40psi.

Guess i'll pick up 2 more and get rid of the OE bias spare I used and replace the shredded one. Still 113 bucks on Amazon for TWO.

Certainly wasn't fun changing that on the side of the interstate. Didn't have my orange "can picking up vest" like I normally do when tryin' to pay the bills.

20200209_133130.jpg

Such a terrible end to a great trailer tire. I'm guessing when I backed the jeep off the trailer the last time it popped a weld on the inside fenderwell of the trailer and then that piece of metal rubbed the inside sidewall till it blew up. Got all 4 of these 5 years ago and they STILL look great....MAYBE 1/2 worn, all even, no cracks and always at 40psi.

Guess i'll pick up 2 more and get rid of the OE bias spare I used and replace the shredded one. Still 113 bucks on Amazon for TWO.

Certainly wasn't fun changing that on the side of the interstate. Didn't have my orange "can picking up vest" like I normally do when tryin' to pay the bills.

View attachment 116507

Why trailer a street car? Headed to the dyno or tune? New mods?