• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

trailers

skinny_pedal

i think this is the right place to put this. im going to be in the market for a trailer to haul the yota around soon so i figured id ask a few question from you veterans. what trailers are you guys running? where did you pick them up? what are you guys paying? anything you would have added after the purchase? after the purchase did you think it would have been cost effective to build one?

thanks for any info :kiss:

I would not buy one with the angle iron outer frame, usually they have the tube rail sides also. Those are the trailers you always see bent. The better ones have channel or tube outer frame.
Everyone always says get brakes on all 4.
Buy one with GOOD (read TRAILER tires not P or LT) tires or plan on putting GOOD tires on it.

Jay W said:
I would not buy one with the angle iron outer frame, usually they have the tube rail sides also. Those are the trailers you always see bent. The better ones have channel or tube outer frame.
Everyone always says get brakes on all 4.
Buy one with GOOD (read TRAILER tires not P or LT) tires or plan on putting GOOD tires on it.

In the state of WA you need to have brakes on both axles or else your trailer tow rating is cut in half. So, if you have a 7000lb rated trailer but only brakes on one axle you the rating is actually 3500lbs. so you wouldn't be able to trailer much when you factor in the weight of the trailer

In the state of WA you need to have brakes on both axles or else your trailer tow rating is cut in half. So, if you have a 7000lb rated trailer but only brakes on one axle you the rating is actually 3500lbs. so you wouldn't be able to trailer much when you factor in the weight of the trailer

Really? I'm having trouble finding that particular law. Can you post a link to it?
meanwhile, http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/150_015.pdf

says this....
Brakes
Every trailer having a gross weight exceeding 3,000 pounds must be equipped with brakes on all wheels and capable of being applied from the towing vehicle. Any trailer whose gross weight is over 3,000 pounds must be equipped with a device which will automatically apply the brakes in case of a breakaway.
Trailers with a gross weight of 3,000 pounds or less must be equipped with brakes if the weight of the trailer(s) exceeds 40 percent of the weight of the towing vehicle. Trailers manufactured and assembled prior to July 1, 1965, having a gross weight less than 2,000 pounds need not be equipped with brakes.

4 wheel brakes yes. GVW rating cut in 1/2?

Last edited:
skinny_pedal said:
i think this is the right place to put this. im going to be in the market for a trailer to haul the yota around soon so i figured id ask a few question from you veterans. what trailers are you guys running? where did you pick them up? what are you guys paying? anything you would have added after the purchase? after the purchase did you think it would have been cost effective to build one?

thanks for any info :kiss:

Bulldog trailers in chehalis... guy on this board picked one up brand new $1900 out the door thats were im going real soon.:corn:

blackcj7 said:
Bulldog trailers in chehalis... guy on this board picked one up brand new $1900 out the door thats were im going real soon.:corn:

x2 When i went shopping down there he had just taken one of his older ones in trade so i bought the used one for 750. and it just needed a little wiring work and a new coupler which he thru in on the deal.

i have a dargo trailer and in my opinion it sits too low. i drag on stuff in gravel parking lots. i wish mine sat about 3 inches higher.

get tiedowns in more than the four corners. i use the two middle ones all the time. i also have a place to attach a snatch block to the front of the trailer to drag your broken **** onto it.

keep the lights protected cause they get damaged easy.

some kind of weather proof lockable storage for the trailer junk is nice also.

when i was shopping i found bulldog to be the best price.

blackcj7 said:

love my bulldog I wouldnt buy anything else:D

Good topic. I'm shopping for a trailer pretty soon here since the other one keeps falling apart (lost another wheel on the way back from the Noob run last weekend).

Making this sticky. :cool:

went to freeway trailer today. 18', 3500lb axles, brakes on both, brakeaway system, 8 stake pockets, wood decked, flush mounted light, and a tongue jack for $2198, add $150 for a beaver tail

skinny_pedal said:
went to freeway trailer today. 18', 3500lb axles, brakes on both, brakeaway system, 8 stake pockets, wood decked, flush mounted light, and a tongue jack for $2198, add $150 for a beaver tail

That aint to bad of a price.. how wide between fenderwells??

Latest posts