• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trans Cooler Question

Beerj

Sonzabitches!
Currently have a Derale 2 row cooler with fan on my th400. Seemed to do fine when the trans was stock but when I upgraded, ptc spec'd out a 3k converter which likes to build up quite a bit of heat when trying to crawl stuff. I have a 2nd trans cooler that is basically the same thing but only single pass. I was thinking about adding it inline beside the other one but wasn't sure if I should be worried about too many restrictions in the loop. Lines are -6 and are about 6' long on the send and return.

I'm 90% sure the one in there now is a 13700. The one I'd like to add is a 13950. The other variable is that my temp sender is currently in the pressure test port. I'm wondering how accurate it actually is so I'll be moving it to the pan to get the best reading. Also, trans fan is on a switch and always on.

Also also, I think the highest temp I've seen was maybe 190 or 200 but if I'm beating on it enough to get it hot, chances are that I'm in a position where I'd rather not be shutting down to let it cool. Rather it just stayed good.

180-190 is about where you want it. I'm surprised it wasn't higher. That tube and fin you have in it wont do much. Even the plate cooler you want to add isn't a whole lot better. I doubt doubling them will cause much of a restriction but think a better option would be to get a better cooler. Even a stacked plate on off ebay would probably serve you a lot better.

Here is a recent discussion.
http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=60011.0

Gotcha. That's a good read. I really want to stick with a dedicated trans cooler fan since I fought engine temps for so long. Finally got that pretty well under control and would hate to go backwards on that. I saw you said about running a 10k series derale with fan. Do you have a part number? Bunch of different sizes from what I saw. Worst case, I could always run the 125k btu/h unit, plenty of room but $500 is a big pill to swallow for a trans cooler. Cheaper than a rebuild though I guess.

It is the one in my first post. It's a 24 row 10k series with fan and shroud. I agree on a dedicated cooler and fan.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/13760/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710814934&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=15769068431&CATCI=aud-224375369591:pla-221520831431&CATARGETID=230006180037475932&cadevice=m&jegspromo=thirdparty&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsPzOxN6B3wIVjYzICh1KLQ4NEAQYByABEgI3oPD_BwE

I went from a tube and fin derale to a derale plate 13870. No more cooling issues.

I'm actually working on swapping in a 13760 right now. It's quite a bit smaller than the one coming out so hopefully it still performs better.

15690991301219149988212097718205.jpg

15690992649695152901875097820355.jpg
I've got another stacked plate cooler thats just a little smaller. Wondering if I should just throw both in right away.

Actually, I guess the other one is a plate and fin style. Can't even find a btu rating on it so probably not worth the hassle there.

The 24 row is smaller but should definately cool better than what you had in my experience. I think you would be fine to run both if you have room. I know you already bought the 24 row but if you have room and are still concerned that 40 row is obviously better. It didnt sound like temps were really getting out of check before anyway. My 2c

The 24 row is smaller but should definately cool better than what you had in my experience. I think you would be fine to run both if you have room. I know you already bought the 24 row but if you have room and are still concerned that 40 row is obviously better. It didnt sound like temps were really getting out of check before anyway. My 2c
Yeah. I ended up just doing the one 24 row. As long as it's at least as good as the tube/fin that was in then it'll do for now. Plenty of room to go bigger in the future and this 24 row could always go in the wifes yj that has a low stall and will be mostly street driven. Fwiw, I've never had to shut down in the middle of an obstacle to cool down. Usually just let the fan run while I watch other people go and it's good by the time we get moving again. I guess we'll see how it does in a couple of weeks.

Latest posts