• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Transfer case gearing for rockwell buggy on 44's.

Jeepzilla42217

I've been running a 4.3 geared atlas in my buggy since birth. The gearing was really low but I went with it because at the time I was running a bone stock sbc that was factory rated at 180hp....in 1978 when it was new. It does ok as is trail riding and such but it lacks the wheel speed for serious hill climbing. I'm 90% complete on the new motor which is in the 500-550hp range so I feel pretty confident I'm going to need higher gearing in the tcase now to take advantage of all this new woopow :driving: What are some of you high hp rockwell guys running in your t cases to roast rubber on the rocks? Here's a pic of my junk with the old motor. She's wfo in 2nd gear in this pic (wouldn't pull drive with that pansy motor) and the lugs on the tires aren't even blurry.

I've read on pirate of folks recommending to run the 3.0 atlas on rockwelled rigs. I had a 4:1 case in my Cherokee, Mild big block chevy, 2.5 tons and 49" iroks. It was too low.

I have a 3:1 LoMax 205 in mine with rocks and 44's with 400hp and can pull 3rd with my TH400 pretty easy with the 2500 stall converter. With over 500hp I would want 2:1 or 2.5:1. (Assuming stock rockwell gears.)

It will depend on motor rpms. Where do you want to set rev limiter, and how much wheel speed to you want to have when it hits rev limiter? No reason to have a ridiculous amount wheel speed if you will never use it. Better to limit wheel speed with motor so you dont get too reckless in hairy type situations and you gain more control in lower speed type climbs.

I have a 205 in both my rockwelled rigs, no issues crawling in 1st and can light em
Up pretty well in 2nd or 3rd if needed

Rockwells607 said:
I have a 205 in both my rockwelled rigs, no issues crawling in 1st and can light em
Up pretty well in 2nd or 3rd if needed

I have this also. Motor is 650 hp with 400 trans. In low range I have no problem with spinning in all the gears

I would think 2.0 ratio, maybe 3.0 if your going to ride around like we use to.

I shoulda mentioned I'm running a built 350 turbo and 2600 stall. If I remember right the th350's have a lower first gear than the th400's, but I don't think it's a significant difference between the 2. This is kinda what I figured would happen. Some favor 2:1 and others 3:1. Do they make a 2.5:1 or similar gear set for an atlas? I still want to be able to crawl around on tight trails without having to stay at the stall rpms but wanna have plenty of tire roasting wheel speed on the hills.

My setup is almost exactly like what your talking about 350 that is around 515 horse according to an et calculator, 350 turbo with manual valve body and a 2,500 stall that flashes to 3,100. I love my gearing with the 1:96 in the 205, I actually prefer a 205 to an atlas, little cheaper and I sure think they might be stronger due to the steel case.If I ordered an aftermarket case tm for it I would still run that same gearing, you can poke around without really telling it has a stall at all, I don't feel this big ass solid lift cam pulling on the brakes at all, most things I hit in first gear, if its a long hill I might nail second just to let the cut tires throw a rooster tail behind me

I completely rebuilt mine and put a ford 32 spline output in the front, and its got a year and a half of riding with cut tires all the way around.I don't have stickies tho YET

Will the ford output fit a divorced 205? I happen to have both but I'll be running the divorced.

SORRY for the highjack :-\

AdamF said:
Will the ford output fit a divorced 205? I happen to have both but I'll be running the divorced.

SORRY for the highjack :-\ Divorced should be 32 spline already.

I was looking at picking up either a ORD Magnum crawl box or Northwest fab Blackbox. Building a 4seat Evo4 buggy with a supercharged lq4 (550ish Hp) and th400. Reading this thread is making me second guess that choice. Going to run a stock Np205 am I wasting my money on a crawl box for it?

toreadorranger said:
I was looking at picking up either a ORD Magnum crawl box or Northwest fab Blackbox. Building a 4seat Evo4 buggy with a supercharged lq4 (550ish Hp) and th400. Reading this thread is making me second guess that choice. Going to run a stock Np205 am I wasting my money on a crawl box for it?

I think so. With that HP and a little stall you'll have plenty of gear. I contemplated putting a 3.0 case in my rockwell buggy but after driving Bombshell with a 3.0 and 5.13:1 gears I decided against it. Bombshell tries to shift into second gear just crawling.