• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

transfer case questions

1TONZR2

Big mudda fugga!
ok, after killing 2 different 231's this weekend at Harlan, I am going to need a new case of some sort. I know the atlas is badass and is prolly the best bet, but what about a built up D300? 203/205 doubler? 231/300 doubler? (rather not have ANY 231 parts any more)
I loved my 4:1 and want atleast that. I am running 4.10s in the axles and wouldnt mind staying with that, for now atleast. what about a 5.0 case like the one POPS has for sale? will 5.0 over rev me?

thoughts?

203/205 double if I were you. I imagine your front driveline angle isn't the best currently and your rear is quite vulnerable?

the front really isnt that bad, especially if I had some 1410s I think with the doubler setup, the front shaft might hit the lower link, unless I change it too...which I have been thinking about anyway....totally redesigning the front suspension. I have the stuff already to do the upper links....
shorter rear shaft would be great too...

Damn with 4.10's buy the 5.0 case Adam has for sale. If you don't have any of the parts for a D300 already it will cost you about the same to go Atlas

They both have there place. I absolutely love a 203/205 doubler for trail rigs. The pick between 2:1 and 4:1 low range is awesome. You always have a choice for the right gear. If your rig not a light weight then I would strongly consider this option.

I also love an Atlas. They are easier to package in a tight buggy and you can fit them to any trans you want to. They are much lighter than a doubler and come with shifters and such.

Either choice is a good on but in your case i would really consider the 203/205 unless you have plans of using all of your parts later on in a buggy then I would probably buy an Atlas for it.

Sorry to derail your thread but I was thinking of going with an Atlas instead of my 205 that I have. My only problem is I really don't know which one would be good for my setup. Rockwells, 502, 400 trans with manual valve body. They have way to many options fo rme to gues which one would work better for me. Does anyone know which one wil work better for me?

wontwork said:
Sorry to derail your thread but I was thinking of going with an Atlas instead of my 205 that I have. My only problem is I really don't know which one would be good for my setup. Rockwells, 502, 400 trans with manual valve body. They have way to many options fo rme to gues which one would work better for me. Does anyone know which one wil work better for me?

Run a 3.0 case, thats what Dibble and Cameron both ran with there big blocks.

I liked the 203/205, but I like the 231/205 SO MUCH MORE.
the redundant 2:1 kills me, where with the case I'm referencing you have 2, 2.72 and 5.44. The front part of the 231 is a klune. no really. 6 planetary gears in a 2.72 config. Strong as ****. you also get a huge ****ing intermediate shaft with the kit, and it bolts up to the case that's already there, and its half price, and the case is already there, and its half price, and the gearing is better. and so on.
that said, I don't sell these, I'm just a cheapass that has been in both with 4.10 gears.

Adam ran this Atlas in the other buggy that had a v-6 toyota and 5.13 gears in his 60's.It still had a good top end in high.Come own and get it.You'll be happy.

i ran a 203 / 300 doubler in my buggy and had no complaints out of it at all. once i put the big shaft kit in the 300 i had no more problems at all. I also ran 4.10 r&p's and ran 44's.
I loved the gear selection 2.62 when i needed wheel speed, and then both of them in low was more than enough gear. great combo IMO.

Kelly, what did the 6 gear planet come from? I now have a stock 231 case, but I am pretty sure the main shaft is broken. I know you flog the **** out of your rig with that setup and the gearing sounds AWESOME, plus the length is pretty close to what I have now, so that would be a plus, but I am leery about something with 231 parts in it..... so many options.

your 231 is super strong for the first 6" or so. then it goes to ****. the planets are the first thing you come to in teh case. the main shaft comes out of that. same planets that are in my dodge diesel.
you ditch everything but that with the doubler. the doubler brings a new main shaft in to play. its 4340 and heat treated. I've not broken mine. Mad rooster and D and D do this kit. if you already have the ford 205, you're pretty much there, just another $500 for the kit. very easy to do. You should find a ford 205 for about $150. any married ford case, female 31 spline input, 32 spline out front and rear. should have about $650 in it with purchase of the 205. twin stick it for free. problem is you have to buy 1350 or 1410 yokes for it at $80 each, but have to do that with adam's atlas as well. I think the price on the carter's atlas is ****ing smoking, all you need is about $150 in yokes and its ready to rock. downfall is you dont' have the 2:1 or 2.7:1 to rip around in. just a crawl gear and a TALL gear.

damn dude, you are making that thing sound more and more interesting! the thing with Carters case, I would have to get a new input gear for it as well, since my trans is a 23 spline output shaft....yes, I know the 4L60e has a 27....mine doesnt anymore, swapped it out for the 23, so I could use the 4:1 231.
I actually think I have a line on a CHEAP 205, hopefully it is a ford. I know you could find one up there in farm country, but it would cost $$$ to ship, unless you brought it with you to RBD-08.......just a thought. I will do some checking.....maybe you should burn me out a 231/205 adapter and I will buy the main shaft, but for the price a whole kit isnt that expensive. I have some time to think about this for sure. Thanks for your input Kelly, I appreciate it.

Brian

you don't think I'm serious or what?
23 spline drivers drop Stak 3spd - buy the 5.0, a set of shifters, an input shaft and I'll swap you. I keep my flanges cuz they won't work for you any way.

I am not sure about the Stak's yet.....heard too many rumors. the added length of the 231/205 is very close to my current length, which definately needed for the front shaft on my rig..... plus I am liking the cost factor of the 231/205. I will keep it in mind though.

Kelly, you got any pics of your 231/205?

Brian

cool, It's been a good box. the shifters lack in design. Behind an auto you could use it better than I can with the manual

Latest posts