• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Transmission rebuild kits

hjpcummins

Since I didn't have much luck with my 5.3 that was trashed, ( trans picked up from same seller) I'm thinking of tearing I to my trans.

Iv been looking at complete rebuilt units from PTC and so on, $1k for a rebuild just isn't in the picture right now. What kits have you ran with good luck, and what upgrades should I be looking at.

Thinks I know to look for
Red alto clutches
Hardened sprang
Metal thrust washer
( machine drum for extra clutchs if possiable)

I'm just looking at worse case scenario, hell it may be in working order (doubt it) best part is he couldn't even give me a stall number on converter!

Trans: th350 400hp ( eventually)
Mostly trail riding with a few WO runs here n there

Thanks for help

What Trans you have?

What kind of power numbers are you pushing?

You race or trail ride?

Man I wish there was thread about what many have done to their trans, it's like Chinese to me when I read about it.. I been wantin to put a reverse shift pattern shifter in mine,, I don't even know if ya can do that without re doin the internals.. I HATE not understanding things. Started doing some research one time, realized I may be getting in over my head at the time. Just wish I knew what the best set up was.. I don't have a Prob with mine now, other than the shifter blows balls, and I wanna get a diff one and want a reverse shift pattern bad. I think I remember someone telling me all I needed was the shifter... I just don't understand how that would work..

Re: Re: Re: Transmission rebuild kits

LightBnDr said:
What Trans you have?

What kind of power numbers are you pushing?

You race or trail ride?
Duh... sorry fixed original post

Re:

Kush you need a reverse pattern valve body.

What shifter do you have that you hate, and what do you hate about it? There are basic mods for most all shifters that make them not suck offroad.

Locally I use a company called trans star. It's just a supply company that sells rebuild kits for everything auto Trans only.

The brands they use are close to OEM in most cases but when it comes to upgrades they use a brand called Trans go. I personally like these kits a lot because they explain in extreme detail what the reason for making the upgrade is. I have great luck and experience with them and the price is always fair.

It comes down to how hard you are on your rig. I would strongly recommend rev manual VB and full manual reprogram. Plus just some 1 step above OEM in clutch material like raybestos red clutches. It's not really necessary to build a REID style race only 800hp Trans. For your application.

A new converter, good cooler, a manual VB reprogram and fresh kevlar internals should run you around $400. This will take care of common pressure loss issues and give you some confidence.

Post up your build when you pull the trigger

Latest posts