• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Transmissions

June dog

My transmission took a **** on me at Harlan Saturday. Has anyone one here had any dealings with performance over drives transmission? Or used any of the monster transmissions?. Performance overdrives has shops in Georgia and Alabama. Just looking for input. I figure if anybody knows any pros or cons on them it would be you guys. I'm kind of leaning toward performance because of the price but monster does 12 months same as cash.

kboring said:
No personal experience with either but I haven't heard many good things about Monster.

That's good to know. From today it took monster awhile to reply to me, while Dennis from performance was quick to respond to every question I had.

You're just hard on ****... :flipoff1:
But seriously, hate that it gave up on ya. I wanted to see that beast turned loose! :****:

Re:

Billy landers in Tuscumbia al is a great builder. He's built many for me from drag racing to 4x4s and never had a problem

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Re:

onepieceatatime said:
Did you break something internally or did it just wear out?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

It's just wore out. It's a 4 yr old build. I changed fluid and filter before leaving. Over half the filter was gone, there was only 3 squares with the nylon still over them and the fluid looked like used motor oil. It lasted thru fish fossil and barely would pull itself out of killin time. When it's cold it still pulls ok but after it gets up to temp it slips like crazy. Coming back down to camp it acted like you were pushing in the clutch then dumping it all the way down the mountain.

Re:

30th6 said:
Billy landers in Tuscumbia al is a great builder. He's built many for me from drag racing to 4x4s and never had a problem

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I'm in southern ky. The performance overdrives guy has a shop in Lexington, just a little north of me. He had just told me he had shops in Georgia and Alabama too. I was just hoping someone might of had some dealings with him. Dennis is most likely who I'll go with unless there's a bunch of negotiate feed back on him. He also said he would deliver to Somerset. So far his response willing ness to help is hard to beat.

johneddie said:
You're just hard on ****... :flipoff1:
But seriously, hate that it gave up on ya. I wanted to see that beast turned loose! :****:
Yes it did suck ass!!. But at least I got a rental unit for the day and an empty seat the rest of the trip. I was going to have Sam build it but Ethan was having trouble out of his so it's got me Leary of him. I just don't want to throw away a bunch of money again.

Well, I went with performance overdrives for my transmission. Dennis went above and beyond any expectations I could of had about a trans builder. He kept me updated thruout the build. He was super quick on answering questions and he even drove over 2hrs one way to personally deliver my trans to me. If the trans performs half as good as his customer service I'm really gonna have something. Now for the ****ed up part of the story. I didn't listen to the warnings and the many bad reviews from Monster transmission. I ordered a in stock torq converter from them the same time I ordered my trans. That was 11 days ago. After 4 days i sent a couple emails about my order. I got no response . The 5th day I finally got ahold of someone from the company. They were all apologetic and said some how my order had gotten over looked. They told my me I was a 2 day ship and that my converter would be shipped that Thursday. I took into consideration that Saturday would be day 2 so i should have it on Monday. Monday passed still no converter. I have sent them more emails about my order just wanting a tracking number. They still won't reply. I have made multiple calls and all I get is a answer machine. I even have 2 extension numbers and they go straight to a voice mail. I'm to the point I don't really know what to do. All I can hope is I can get my credit card company to refuse payment. I don't think asking for a tracking number is to much to expect is it??. If any one on here was ever thinking of doing business with monster transmission Please think twice about it.

I know it sounds simple and stupid but have you called from another number besides your own? Possible they have your number saved or known and avoiding? For sure put a hold with credit card.

I haven't ever dealt with them but few thing I have read seems about par for the course for them.

They finally sent me a tracking number!! It's actually in transit. Now I've got to decide to chance using it or try to sell it cheap cut my losses and order one from a repetable company.

I believe your trans took a dump due to heat from the stall (which generates a LOT of heat) and less than optimal gearing, what all are you doing to keep this new one cool?

muddinmetal said:
I believe your trans took a dump due to heat from the stall (which generates a LOT of heat) and less than optimal gearing, what all are you doing to keep this new one cool?

I've changed the gears to 5:13's and going with a smaller stall. Yes, I think the first stall is what done most of the damage. I've got a good cooler with a fan I just need to move it for better air flow.. I got my converter in and I'm not sure about it. The mounting flanges have two that are flat and one that's raised or coined. I can't see how this will bolt up flat to my fly wheel.

Am I just freaking out or should this be the same?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 114
civicmindedex79 said:
Interesting......... not so sure how much that would matter????

I'm not sure either. I asked the guy that built my transmission he doesn't seem to think it will effect it much. I'm going to file it down flat to match the rest. I just hope the internals are built with a little more care.

Lay it on something good and flat and look at it. You could build it with 3 totally different tabs and still be flat.

Sanding that raised part off could do more damage then good if that's how they build them.

Toddy said:
Lay it on something good and flat and look at it. You could build it with 3 totally different tabs and still be flat.

Sanding that raised part off could do more damage then good if that's how they build them.

This I agree with. I don't think I would sand it off. Like said above try and see if it is flat or appears close. If so run it till she gives up.

Latest posts