• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Treps vs SX Sticky

Poke

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2013
Messages
154
redneckengineered said:
A solid 4"

Thanks. Ive got 8 43sx I've been racing on and need to sell. I am moving down to 40's. I think I'll go with the comp 40" trep.
 

POR

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2014
Messages
152
TN-CTD said:
Looks like i'm going with the fooudeez because of clearance issues. My **** is low

Excuse me.. but do you have any graypoupon? ;D
 

slravenel

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2010
Messages
673
Location
Atlanta, GA
to add some more -

Mine changed relatively drastically when I mounted them up. They actually shrank.

Here they are unmounted (42 unmounted, 40 mounted and on the buggy):

Gvwx3Ru.jpg


AuVzzKh.jpg


and then here they are mounted (42 mounted on the buggy, method 9" wide wheel - 40 mounted off the buggy - TR 10" wide wheel):

nLwQ4oS.jpg


Easily 4" taller than a mounted and slightly worn 40" when unmounted. About 3" taller once mounted and having weight on it.

Either way...they are big.
 

Jody Treadway

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2014
Messages
104
Location
Asheville NC
I run 17 x 9 Racelines on both my sets of tires.
40" Trep stickies at 15 psi on the truck- 37" tall
40 Nitto stickies at 15 psi on the truck- 39.75" tall
My buddy Aaron's 42 Treps beside mine- easily 4" taller on his rig
 

pennsylvaniaboy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2014
Messages
139
Location
chambersburg, PA
Jody Treadway said:
I run 17 x 9 Racelines on both my sets of tires.
40" Trep stickies at 15 psi on the truck- 37" tall
40 Nitto stickies at 15 psi on the truck- 39.75" tall
My buddy Aaron's 42 Treps beside mine- easily 4" taller on his rig


How do you like the nittos over the treps? I am looking at a 40" class tire......narrowed down to the 40' bias trep(non -comp), 39" red label, bfg KR3, nitto trail grappler, procomp mt2.....or the cheap one gladiator MT.


I would like to stay under $600 a tire or so.....so maxxis is most $$ then reds, KR3, nitto, procomp, gladiator
 

mac5005

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2012
Messages
330
Location
Rocky Mount, NC
pennsylvaniaboy said:
How do you like the nittos over the treps? I am looking at a 40" class tire......narrowed down to the 40' bias trep(non -comp), 39" red label, bfg KR3, nitto trail grappler, procomp mt2.....or the cheap one gladiator MT.


I would like to stay under $600 a tire or so.....so maxxis is most $$ then reds, KR3, nitto, procomp, gladiator


Reds are cheaper than the kr3.

Kr3 are half treads.

Nitto dot are a similar compound to an old old tsl. 75-77 on the durometer. 2 yr old 42" tsls were softer.

Pretty much went thru this same choice, and I just got my 39" reds.

I got a set of used iroks to use if I want to cruise to get ice cream in the jeep, and the reds for trail use.
 

mac5005

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2012
Messages
330
Location
Rocky Mount, NC
pennsylvaniaboy said:
mine are trail use only.....east coast mud and rock. But i have found reds @$550 and kr3 @$530

reds the only 40" sticky sub $600.


Ifs it's trail use only, why not buy a sticky? Red can be found cheaper than kr3. I also prefer the deeper tread depth of the red.
 

Jody Treadway

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2014
Messages
104
Location
Asheville NC
pennsylvaniaboy said:
How do you like the nittos over the treps? I am looking at a 40" class tire......narrowed down to the 40' bias trep(non -comp), 39" red label, bfg KR3, nitto trail grappler, procomp mt2.....or the cheap one gladiator MT.


I would like to stay under $600 a tire or so.....so maxxis is most $$ then reds, KR3, nitto, procomp, gladiator

The Treps were stickier, but measured in about 3" shorter than the Nittos. My Nittos measured 64 on a durometer when I picked them up. They aren't KOH stickies but they aren't DOT either. They are part of a bastard batch. They have served me well and I can't say anything bad about them at all. So far I have wheeled them at Windrock, Harlan, Chocco and local parks. They hook up well enough for my needs and the additional ground clearance is great.
My next set will be either 42 Treps or 43 SX if I can fit them. I plan to build my wife her own rig and will donate my Nittos to hers.
 

pennsylvaniaboy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2014
Messages
139
Location
chambersburg, PA
mac5005 said:
Ifs it's trail use only, why not buy a sticky? Red can be found cheaper than kr3. I also prefer the deeper tread depth of the red.

did you read my posts? the red label and KR3s are both considered a sticky compound? also I showed that a KR3 is $20 keeper than a red @ the websites with the lowest posted price... If you know of where I can beat that pricing, I am all ears.
 

mchampion

Active Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2011
Messages
37
Location
Iowa
I had 40" sticky Treps and had trouble with sidewalls. The tires were amazing and gave me a real advantage over my wheeling buddies. I sold the Treps and just bought some 43 SX stickies. I am excited to see how they do.
 

mac5005

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2012
Messages
330
Location
Rocky Mount, NC
pennsylvaniaboy said:
did you read my posts? the red label and KR3s are both considered a sticky compound? also I showed that a KR3 is $20 keeper than a red @ the websites with the lowest posted price... If you know of where I can beat that pricing, I am all ears.


Pm incoming.
 

Poke

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2013
Messages
154
My Sticky 40" treps are 39 1/8th with 25 PSI. They were 39 5/8ths unmounted. Weight was 103 un-mounted.

It was never straight forward measuring them. My wife had 38.5" before we put a level board on top.
 

pplblazerdude

YESUMM
Joined
Nov 7, 2012
Messages
568
Location
Kingsport, TN
mchampion said:
I had 40" sticky Treps and had trouble with sidewalls. The tires were amazing and gave me a real advantage over my wheeling buddies. I sold the Treps and just bought some 43 SX stickies. I am excited to see how they do.

This isn't what I wanted to read. I cut two in one trip and chalked it up as old used tires and shitty luck. Anything special about yours or just they got cut.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Forbanger

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2016
Messages
477
Location
Rineyville KY
twentyfootdaredevil said:
Bringing this back up. Any new thoughts? I'm ready to order new tires and I can't seem to make up my mind 42s or 43s.

It's a tough choice.

Where do you ride at? And what kind of rig do you have seems to be the biggest issues I'm seeing between the two tires.
 
Top