• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Treps vs SX Sticky

blacksheep10 said:
Yes, and also tireballs won KOH, there were giant holes in the other 3 that were still on the car laughing1

maybe I missed it, but I thought those were banned this year?

redneckengineered said:
Got to ride together at CFR. I will say the Treps didn't give an inch to the SXs. Looking forward to more head to head comparisons.

Was super happy with them - they worked really well out of the box even with me smashing my diff into every rock in South Pittsburg. Definitely worth the money :JRich:

One of them there Swampin Mud Tars had a cut on Sunday! My treps still look brand new, just sayin! :****: :stir:

In reality though, they both work really well and I am interested to see how they compare as things get broken in and we have some different conditions to make more comparisons.

this is good to know. Thanks for the reports. I was a little nervous at first when some said the sidewalls may bee a little thin on the treps. Coming from 43s, i know how thick those are and never had an issue. Cant wait to try them out in a month or two.

slravenel said:
Was super happy with them - they worked really well out of the box even with me smashing my diff into every rock in South Pittsburg. Definitely worth the money :JRich:

One of them there Swampin Mud Tars had a cut on Sunday! My treps still look brand new, just sayin! :****: :stir:

In reality though, they both work really well and I am interested to see how they compare as things get broken in and we have some different conditions to make more comparisons.

What kind of tire psi you running out the box?

the_white_shadow said:
this is good to know. Thanks for the reports. I was a little nervous at first when some said the sidewalls may bee a little thin on the treps. Coming from 43s, i know how thick those are and never had an issue. Cant wait to try them out in a month or two.

Very welcome. Truthfully, I honestly dont know who is telling folks that Trep sidewalls are thin. They arent. The SX sidewalls are SUPER thick...but that doesn't mean the Trep stuff is thin either. I just cant see sidewall cutting as a normal occurrence on these tires. I will, however, continue to give my honest opinion on how they compare with Andrew and Jessicas the more we ride.

wizzo said:
What kind of tire psi you running out the box?

I was so unprepared for this trip I didnt even check until we were there and had no way to add air if they were too low...I wasnt even supposed to come out, I literally stopped in on the way home from a mountain bike event where the buggy was being used as a yard ornament. Peer pressure got me! I had to borrow normal ass camping supplies from Andrew and Jessica to make it through haha

Front Driver - 7.5 PSI
Front Pass - 6 PSI
Rear Pass - 6 PSI
Rear Driver - < 5 PSI

I am expecting them to need more air as they break in. At least I would think so. They flexed really well on rocks, but didnt flop over with normal driving...which I think is a good thing.

slravenel said:
Very welcome. Truthfully, I honestly dont know who is telling folks that Trep sidewalls are thin. They arent. The SX sidewalls are SUPER thick...but that doesn't mean the Trep stuff is thin either. I just cant see sidewall cutting as a normal occurrence on these tires. I will, however, continue to give my honest opinion on how they compare with Andrew and Jessicas the more we ride.

I appreciate the honest opinion and feedback. Not sure where I read it, but it was on the Internet so it had to be true, right? Looking forward to further reviews from yourself and others.

I've said it a 100x about the treps and the sidewalls being weak. I cut 2-42 treps on the same rock. Never have I cut or anyone I know cut a sx on that same rock. I have seen 2 boggers get cut on the same rock though.

dynajeep said:
I've said it a 100x about the treps and the sidewalls being weak. I cut 2-42 treps on the same rock. Never have I cut or anyone I know cut a sx on that same rock. I have seen 2 boggers get cut on the same rock though.

You're just rough on stuff ;) Your tires have been holding up great for me so far. A few little nicks here and there but I love them for what it's worth. They definitely work well on mine. :dblthumb:

That brings up a good point. The wod buggy was pushing 5k lbs. I think on a lighter rig they are much happier. Glad they are holding up good for you. I got another set that came on this new rig if anyone is interested

The whole reason i bought Treps was because years ago i went to an XRRA event and saw what a beatdown they were putting on them....with little issues.

I knew when i built my buggy i did NOT want to have issues with tires, i needed them to last as long as possible because tires are such a major investment....i know that there are some great tires out there these days but i have saw more sidewall cuts on SX's than Treps and personally think it really depends on how you use them....and how heavy of a rig they are on. any tire can get cut, i feel like it is less likely to have it happen with Treps, just my opinion.

my buggy weighed in at 3220 lbs and with a 4 cyl it does not have the power to get to crazy. Don't know how the "thin sidewall" thing came about but I cant see how anyone could think this.....Treps have massavie amounts of tread on the side.

At the Crawling for Reid ride I crawled out the side of Trail 66 to winch my buddies buggy over to prevent a roll, the next rig rolled, so after the rollover two rigs tried to go the same way and were on SX's and had to give heck to get up the same spot.

What this tells me is some tires work better then others at times and each tire choice has advantages and disadvantages...but i think BOTH are GREAT and have there place.

dynajeep said:
That brings up a good point. The wod buggy was pushing 5k lbs. I think on a lighter rig they are much happier. Glad they are holding up good for you. I got another set that came on this new rig if anyone is interested

I keep forgetting you have Daniel's rig he built now.

dynajeep said:

that and we went all over GMP & AOP for 4 days and not a single SX was trashed. I don't think we were very nice to them either. I would agree that both tires work well in many situations, but I certainly won't jump ship for a potential lateral move.

Latest posts