• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trying to do some work on the buggy before the year gets rollin ...

stinger124

Well, I got tired of sitting around this 900 sq ft. duiplex waiting on my new house so we can move into it where I will have a shop to work on my buggy.. Soooo Lastnight, I made up my mind to move what I could around in the garage and make room so that I would have some room to work on it, and take care of some things that needed to be addressed.

Told my wife her car was gonna have to sit outside for awhile.. Now I got alittle wiggle room.
IMG_3870.JPG

I jacked the buggy up, and found that the wheels seemed loose out at Devins one day, and I thought that the inners might be loose, but I found that they were not..
So today, I started taking it apart to see if the wheel studs were wollered out. Here is what I found. As you can see, I can actually stick a dime in the between the two areas,, That is how much slack there is..
IMG_3871.JPG

IMG_3872.JPG

This is another thing that I found on several of the areas right by the wheel studs.. Not sure if I need to replace these or what ... (( Whats your opinion ?? )) Just to be safe, I think I will replace the rotors.. Still want your opinions just to be sure. I have never ran into this before.
IMG_3875.JPG

Also as luck would have it, I went to buy a new socket because I knew that my Dana 44 socket would not work so I went to buy the one for the Dana 60..... Well, once I got home with one that said it would work on a Chevy Dana 60 and tried to use it.. You guessed it... It was not the right one.. So now I will have to wait until Monday to take this one back to Main Auto Parts.. Maybe one of the other auto stores will have one.. If so, I will be able to continue on working tomorrow.
IMG_3877.JPG

Oh well, thats just my luck... :wall:

I also taked to Jarod and Ryan at Rock and Roll OffRoad today, and they are gonna hook me up with some new slugs for a great price..
We have also come up with something that will really make the buggy look pretty cool ... I hope to have this once it gets made in the next couple of weeks. (( Not gonna spill the beans just yet. ))

I have also found that some of the Heims have some slack in them, and as some of you know.. I hate rattles... So I may or may not replace them...
I have never wheeled a rig with links and heims.. Should the be rattling or are they pretty quite ?? I know nothing about these things just yet. But I am learning.. I am also looking at a way to keep the air bumps from rattling everytime they hit the metal pads ..

Once I get the Atlas installed, I plan on sending the drive shafts off to be spruced up alittle bit too.

Anyway, I just got tired of sitting around this tiny place looking at the four walls.. I have been chomping at the bits to work on this thing but with no room, I have been putting it off and as of today... I am gonna clean things up and improve others..
I want this thing to be ready for a TOUGH year of wheelin ...

I will update things as I make progress..

Any comments are appreciated.

Nice Billy.

The heims will make a little noise, but it shouldn't be too much. I don't blame you for swapping them out, I also can't stand leaks or rattles. P will probably buy the used ones from you.

Street Shadow?

What is the ETA on your house?

B Gillespie said:
Nice Billy.

The heims will make a little noise, but it shouldn't be too much. I don't blame you for swapping them out, I also can't stand leaks or rattles. P will probably buy the used ones from you.

Street Shadow?

What is the ETA on your house?

What do you mean Street Shadow ?? As for the house.. We do not have a clue.. The old lady is dragging her feet. She is in her new house and now she needs to have an Estate sale .. Heck I told her I would give her 10,000 and she can just leave it there, and I will get rid of it. She said .. No !!
Oh well, maybe by march or April..

stinger124 said:
Told my wife her car was gonna have to sit outside for awhile.. Now I got alittle wiggle room.

I call BS on that, you begged and pleaded, then offered to scrub baseboards, clean dishes, and do all of the laundary.

Street Shadow is Jared's sister's company. Projector that mounts under your vehicle.

Naw.... I already help with the dishes... And she will not let me help with the laundry.. But I did vaccum the floors today for her.. So I guess you could be alittle right..

I thought that was what you were talking about on the street shadow.. I am sure the teenie boppers will love it once it gets out on the street.

Man.. I found alot more wrong with the buggy today once I got inside it. The passenger side bearings were all smoked.. So I pulled the whole axle apart today, and went and bought all new bearings and seals.. I will replace them sometime this week. Plus I found that whoever put the wheel studs in the rotars put the wrong ones in, and thats what caused them to break.. I will be going to look for new rotars tomorrow and new wheel studs....

This buggy has been road hard and put up wet way to many times with what seems to be no prevenative maintance done on it.
I will fix all that with alittle time, and money.

Well today I got back at the buggy, and I got the socket from Brandon, so I got to take the whole axles apart, and once I got into the passenger side I found that there was not much of anything left of one of the bearings..
IMG_3881.JPG

IMG_3883.JPG

I also found that the spindal bearing was shot as well.
IMG_3882.JPG

I do not know how this thing was even rolling, but it was. You can see that prevenative maintance was not high on the list.
I like to take care of my things, so this will all be taken care of.

This afternoon, I went and bought all new bearings and seals, and Devin helped me remove the races ( sp ) and we got one installed... I will start on the rest of them tomorrow afternoon.
Plus I will need to get new rotors and wheel studs. Devin and I found that they were running the wrong studs, and this is why the rotors were split... The studs did not fit, so they forced them in and over time it just broke the rotor.

What was really cool was that (( Both )) of my girls came out and helped me with the buggy.. They both got their hands dirty, and got to run the impact gun with me helping to break nuts and bolts loose, and helped to clean things up... :thumbs:

We also went to the car wash, and cleaned up all the parts... Anyway, that is where I am at right now... With time, I will have this thing is Tip Top Shape....