• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

U joint question

JPTHING

I bought a set of OX joints for Dana 60 axles, and I am wondering if someone has had to grind their yokes, to complete the installation. I got the joints installed, and I guess I need to take it back apart, to install the retaining caps. If someone has any ideas, or knows if I will weaken the shafts if I grind them, just enough to install the retaining caps. Thanks in advance for any help.

t1h5ta3 said:
yes, i belive you will need to grind for clearance on stock shafts.

Actually they are not stock shafts, they are aftermarket alloy shafts. I will get some pics on Thursday. I am just wondering if anyone has ground theirs?

All I know is that I bought an OX cause the design was better than the old U-joint design, and it doesn't use neddle bearings. Plus the center section is way beefier than the traditional U-joint, which in turn puts less stress on the cross section than the old U-joint design. I guess we'll see how it works, I am absolutely sure if it is as strong as I the rest of my Jeep, I will never break it. I am the kind of Psycho who thinks so irrationally that I would prefer to make it extra beefy, rather than have it break on the trail.

OX's--what a joke. went thru 4 of them in my dana 44. Yes, you have to grind them to fit--not uncommon..

but these are 332x, not tiny little 297x/760x, huge difference, from what I understand, they even have a different warranty between the two. On their warranty page, it states that "Tire sizes greater than 35†on part number OX297X are outside the design limitations of this product and will void all warranties.". Honestly I guess we will see, they even look beefier than anything else on the market.

JPTHING said:
but these are 332x, not tiny little 297x/760x, huge difference, from what I understand, they even have a different warranty between the two. On their warranty page, it states that "Tire sizes greater than 35†on part number OX297X are outside the design limitations of this product and will void all warranties.". Honestly I guess we will see, they even look beefier than anything else on the market.

bUT 3 of the 4 were not cross failures---the bushing material---they got literally raped. But good luck with yours. :;

that and with the bushing etc inside the body, the load doesnt act directly on it, it has leverage to twist and tear things apart.

5-806x's are actualy stronger... sorry about the wasted $.....

t1h5ta3 said:
that and with the bushing etc inside the body, the load doesnt act directly on it, it has leverage to twist and tear things apart.
X2.
The design is what steers me away from them. The bearing being closer to the center of the joint makes it weaker because of the leverage on it. This is just my opinion, I have never used them and have no other data to argue.
Good luck, I hope they work well for you.

Ok so what would have been a good bushing material that would work better, I love the design, and will use them until they break, then I will find someone who will build a replacement part that will work better.

So heres another question, I was considering Flexible couplings. Does anyone know if this would work. They use them with much higher torque capacities than any wheeler would put out, but I think there would be resistance when you would turn. Who knows, I absolutely hate U-joints, cause they are the most common failure I have ever had with wheeling, and if these don't work, then no-one makes a U-joint worth a sh!t. And don't tell me CTM's, cause I have heard as many horror stories about them.

Do you know if they make custom shafts for the D60 Cv upgrade, cause this is my 14 bolt front end. The Cv upgrade is definitely more my style, but I have paid alot for these so far. I guess I could deal with these OX joints, and replace them with the 300m joints later, or even buy the Cv upgrade, if they can make them custom. Hey by the way thanks for the info.

Hip had a set of bushings made for his 44 Bobby Long Joints. (old style) They are made out of carbon steel. You may want to measure the ox joint bushings or take them to a machine shop and have some sets made.

I actually am considering some custom Aermet 100 bushings, there is nothing right now that is stronger, and it is supposed to machine pretty easily, and really isn't that expensive, considering I paid an awful lot for these Joints. If the bushings don't end up too expensive, I might end up selling them.

Latest posts