• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

U-Joint Removal?

War-Jeeper

Mailbox Killing War-Ho
How do you guys get yer U-Joints out? I thought harbor freight selled a little tool but i went there today and they had no clue what i was talking about. So how does everybody on here get there U-Joints in and out? Thanks in advance for the help!

A vise and some various sockets usually does the trick. Unless it's the joints in my CV...then they just fall out when I remove the clips :haha:

I have a bearing a u-joint puller tool that never gets used.

I have a BFH that gets used often. Open the jaws of the vise enough that the cross of the U-joint is supported, but the axle or drivshaft can free-float inside of the vise. Make sure to pull the U-joint clip, and tap (smack hard) the axle or driveshaft downward and the force is translated into an upward motion on the joint, pushing the cap out of that respective hole. Flip over and repeat the process on the other side.

Tony

Well im slow and didnt get that far today lol.....anybody close to mountlake terrace got a parts washer i can wash a bunch of stuff in tomorow?

You can mount the vise in your receiver hitch. using a socket is caveman style:redneck:

You really don't need a vise. I've trail fixed with a decent front bumper. Really a vice makes it easier, but any solid surface that can support the two ears of the U-joint will work just fine.

I use a ball joint press to get them out but I NEVER use it to put them back in. I learned this the hard way by exploding u-joint caps.

To re-install I fill the caps up with lots of grease and tap them in with a ball peen hammer. NOTE: It may require more than "tapping" but I usually wait until I have both caps in on one cross before beating on it. This way I don't dislodge any of the needle bearings.

Do it the way shane mentioned, that way u'll be prepared to do it on the trail when u dont have a vise. :awesomework:
Huh? I was talking about putting it back together. You still need a surface like an open vise to support one of the yokes when you pound out the bad joint. :flipoff:

You really don't need a vise. I've trail fixed with a decent front bumper. Really a vice makes it easier, but any solid surface that can support the two ears of the U-joint will work just fine.

I have seen a home made tool for the trail that was made of some 1/2 steel and was shaped like a 'U' and it fits in your trail bag.

The tool you seek at HF is the ball joint removal tool. I got it and it works well.

It's on sale in the flyer I got in the mail today. $30 marked down from the normal $40.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38335

I like using mine when I can for exactly the reason Karl said he doesn't. I've had more needle bearings end up smashed by hammering on the cap than by pressing it in carefully and making sure the cross moves freely the whole time.

Latest posts