• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

uber to moab?

yeager_0339

So a few of us have been kicking around the idea for awhile now of going out west for a wheeling adventure. Wether it be the easter jeep safari, KOH, etc. Has anyone ever hired a big rig to haul their rigs out there and just fly out? It would more than likely be at least 3 rigs. Whats your thoughts?

If guess 500-1000 per rig each way so won't be cheap but might get a bulk deal with someone with a dually and a stack trailer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

yeager_0339 said:
So a few of us have been kicking around the idea for awhile now of going out west for a wheeling adventure. Wether it be the easter jeep safari, KOH, etc. Has anyone ever hired a big rig to haul their rigs out there and just fly out? It would more than likely be at least 3 rigs. Whats your thoughts?

What you gonna wheel, a Huffy? That shouldn't be too expensive ;D

Gonna be expensive, unless you have a buddy that owns a tractor. I just had a friend ship his dodge 2500 WA to Missouri and it was 1200 one way.

I've done it this way twice but I have a buddy with a big rig and a 3-car trailer so that part was easy. The rest of it can be a challenge if you're on a budget like me.

You can fly into and out of Moab, they finally have commercial flights 2x or 3x a day but they can be pricey. The airport is about 30 miles north of Moab so you'll need to figure out ground transportation ahead f time. Renting a car for running around town is extremely convenient but there's only 1 car rental company in Moab, Nation Car Rental I think.

If you dont fly into Moab you basically have 3 options: ABQ, SLC or Grand Junction and then rent a car for the week. Al boils down to how much $$ you want to spend.

Each time we went for 2 weeks. in 2015 I flew into ABQ and few out of GJ. I was lucky enough to be able to catch a ride each way so no car rental was needed. Last year I flew into Vegas and rented a car for the entire trip ($235 total), drove from Vegas to Sand Hollow and wheeled for 4 days. Loaded back up and wheeled Moab for 7 days. On the final day I watched the big rig drive off from Moab and I turned the rental around and drove back to Vegas for my flight home. Was an epic trip!!

You're going to find that renting a one-way car and dumping in Moab is expensive, thus I just kept it for the entire time. There's A LOT more involved but you get the idea.

This is how I'd like to do it when/if I ever get to go. 6 hours of driving is usually my max per day so it would take me a while from Memphis.

We Drove out to Moab hauling a rig back in 2001, We left Muscle Shoals at 3:00PM on a Tuesday and arrived in Moab on Wednesday at 3PM...unloaded and rode til midnight and then all weekend, it was a long drive and ride but well worth the time it takes to get there. The plus side of hauling your own is that you can load parts/tools that you will more than likely need when you get back to the hotel. Some of the trail heads in Moab also take a few highway miles to get too.

very good points above ^^. The only downfall to ubering your rig out there is not having a trailer. You're gonna have to pound a lot of pavement with your trail rig and if it dont have some road ability you're gonna have a tough time getting to/from the trails.

For example, from downtown Moab several of the "have to" trails require traveling up Hwy 191 which is effectively an interstate - 55mph+. It's not like driving I-75 here in Georgia but it does see a lot of traffic including big rigs, RVs and of course all the yahoo drivers you deal with every day. Our rigs wont do 55 or close to it (mini truck on 40s) but we made it through unscathed. Highly recommend having at least the basics such as tail lights, head lights etc for your own safety. We almost got into a major accident one evening coming down 191 due to our slow speed but that's another story.

We ran all these trails 3-4 days running and I think we did about 10-20 miles of pavement each way depending on how we got to and from the trails. These include Poison Spyder Mesa, Golden Spike, Metal Masher, Rusty Nail and several others.

Moab Rim trail and Pritchet Canyon are much closer as they're on the Moab side of the Colorado river and only require 3 or 4 miles to the trail head. Problem with Pritchet is it dumps you into the back side of Behind the Rocks so you either turn around and run it backwards or trek through BTR which is probably 10-12 miles south of downtown Moab.

Moab is epic and everyone should do it at least once for the experience and scenery. That said, Sand Hollow is far better hardcore crawling not to mention far easier logistically.

I want to go but part of the fun of the trip is seeing country i havent seen before. I've never drove west of the Miss. river. I know part of it is wheat fields but i want to see the rest of it. I've been to SLC back in highschool and the plane ride just wasnt that fun. I wanted to see the mountains we were flying over.

tkinze said:
I've done it this way twice but I have a buddy with a big rig and a 3-car trailer so that part was easy. The rest of it can be a challenge if you're on a budget like me.

You can fly into and out of Moab, they finally have commercial flights 2x or 3x a day but they can be pricey. The airport is about 30 miles north of Moab so you'll need to figure out ground transportation ahead f time. Renting a car for running around town is extremely convenient but there's only 1 car rental company in Moab, Nation Car Rental I think.

If you dont fly into Moab you basically have 3 options: ABQ, SLC or Grand Junction and then rent a car for the week. Al boils down to how much $$ you want to spend.

Each time we went for 2 weeks. in 2015 I flew into ABQ and few out of GJ. I was lucky enough to be able to catch a ride each way so no car rental was needed. Last year I flew into Vegas and rented a car for the entire trip ($235 total), drove from Vegas to Sand Hollow and wheeled for 4 days. Loaded back up and wheeled Moab for 7 days. On the final day I watched the big rig drive off from Moab and I turned the rental around and drove back to Vegas for my flight home. Was an epic trip!!

You're going to find that renting a one-way car and dumping in Moab is expensive, thus I just kept it for the entire time. There's A LOT more involved but you get the idea.

Thank you for that info! The reason I want to to ship it is bc my time is limited that I can take off and want to utilize my time off with wheeling instead of driving the majority of the trip. I am going to put some feelers out there soon for some rigs willing to haul and see what comes about.

Is there anyone in your group that is willing/has a capable tow rig and trailer to do the drive while part of the group flies out?

ridered3 said:
Is there anyone in your group that is willing/has a capable tow rig and trailer to do the drive while part of the group flies out?

most of us have a tandem dual gooseneck but only long enough for two rigs.

Make Moab happen. Most of it can be done in an suv with the ac on, Pritchett and some of BTR is quite a challenge. I didn't it in my rzr 900 and did a few trails in my JK on 37's. From the East, you have no idea what traction is. Holy hell. That said it was WAY more fun in my rzr, most of the place is scenic riding with no challenge, so unless your rig has lots of uptravel and a nice smooth ride, it is slow going. We were covering 3-5 trails in a day when a slower crawling rig would do half or less and have less fun doing it. For the cost of hauling out and back, rent. **** it. save your huge haul to the other side of the world for real wheeling if that's what rigs you have. Johnson valley is cool to wheel, just not during KOH. Go the week after.

As for Ubering out there, get out your wallet. Maybe a hot shot guy?

we are getting ready to make the trek from Houston to Sand Hollow and then to Moab at the end of April. we are taking one or two RZRs, three bikes and a trail bouncer. None of which are streetable.
Just like someone else mentioned, if ALL your rigs are streetable, uber might be an option. But since from St. George we plan to go to Sand Hollow and Three Peaks (about 70miles away) we need the trailer to haul our junk. There will be four of us in the truck so we plan to drive straight through for 1400+ miles. we figure we will burn through about $1100 in diesel or more round trip if diesel goes above $2.60/gal or we can't get 8mpg or better (save the "I get 20mpg fully loaded" nonsense, don't want to hear it). My guess is that we will probably pay more than that and get less than that, so we may end up closer to $1400 for fuel. So if I where a hot shot driver, I would want to make $3 or more per loaded mile and around $1.50 not loaded??? that's $6300 round trip??? plus if the four of us had to buy airfare? We do have a friend that is flying into SLC with one or two others and renting a car to meet us, and he is undecided between renting a RZR or having us haul his. He plans to get in the fuel pool if we haul his. Otherwise he will rent a RZR. No thanks to the uber.

Latest posts