• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ultra4 specs??

Elliott

Anyone on here know what is the most common wheel base and under frame clearance on your average ultra 4 car? I would be curious to see if there was any difference between an ifs car and a straight axle car also.

yea thats a pretty broad question

are you asking about a buggy like Erik Millers or a buggy like Jason Schererereres? They are totally different (both because one it IFS and one is SFA, and because they are just designed totally different).

an IFS buggy will "usually" be lower than a SFA buggy - but thats also apparent in KOH because an IFS single seater can be even lower and have a flatter belly than a SFA buggy.

I would say that MOST of them are in the 110-120" wheelbase range and the 18" - 25" belly height range. It just all depends on which ones you are looking at, and which race they are racing at the time too I am sure.

Ultra 4 Specs at inception: Go fast trail riding and some ability to spend money on nicer parts
Ultra 4 Specs Now: Deep pockets, good sponsors, forget how to drive in the rocks for the most part.
:****:

That is all

Really though there is hardly a buggy out there racing U4 that is identical to another. I would say based on the last few KOH's and how many BomberFab buggies that have finished, I would be looking at those closely for dimensions and whatnot. Those buggies just work.

My buggy is 112 but going out to around 114. Had about a 17" belly which is too low for east coast trail riding. Going up to 20" belly.

Most buggys at KOH were likely 16-18 belly to keep them low for the high speed stuff. They will change their setup depending on the track and race format.

I personally like 110" with a 19" belly and a track width about 83". For all around maneuverability and stability I feel like it's the best compromise in varying terrains. It is stable at higher speeds yet nimble enough to wander through the woods courses and still very capable in the rocks. The dimensions also lend themselves to a good day of trail riding.

If I were to build a KOH specific car I would do it totally different. The reality is I enjoy racing Dirt Riot that is more local to me and far less commercialized. For that your long lived 110" buggy with stock length 14/60 axles works great. Sometimes keeping it simple returns great rewards in fun...

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO