• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

v8 ranger swap?

Benhoward384

I have a 89 Ranger 4x4 with the 2.9l and a stick. I'm thinking of doing a carbureted 302 swap. What I've found on the internet is 2wd ranger swaps. Is there any kits out there to do the swap and keep my truck 4x4? Do I need to do a transfer case swap if I swap in the 302? I already have a 8.8 for the rear if I do the swap and I know I'll have to do a transmission swap as well.

You're swapping the transmission. Do you want to keep it manual or change to automatic? Do you want to buy adapters to keep the stock t-case, or do you want to try to stuff a fullsize case in, since you'll be likely using a trans from a fullsize.

if your interested

I don't know anything about it but I have a 302 +tranny and transfercase out of maybe a mid 80's bronco that I would let go cheap

I would more than likely put a C-4 behind it and if there are adapters out there for keeping my stock T-case I would just use what I got. It will be on a budget, it's just a 87 ranger. Just curious to know if there is a kit out there I can buy or if I have to piece it together. I have a 302 out of my old mustang that I will use. Might be intersted in the tranny and transfercase.

The 1984 bronco IIs came with a c-5 trans, which is basically a C-4. I believe there are some parts you can swap out of one, and into the other to make it all work with your stock T-case. Best of both kinda deal. Later autos were the A4LD and they are a worthless pile, so dont bother with them.

I would more than likely put a C-4 behind it and if there are adapters out there for keeping my stock T-case I would just use what I got. It will be on a budget, it's just a 87 ranger. Just curious to know if there is a kit out there I can buy or if I have to piece it together. I have a 302 out of my old mustang that I will use. Might be intersted in the tranny and transfercase.

Depends on your defintion of budget. That adapter is $500. It might be cheaper to find a transfercase that will bolt to the C4 stock.

Depends on your defintion of budget. That adapter is $500. It might be cheaper to find a transfercase that will bolt to the C4 stock.

Dana 20 out of a full size bronco with a c-4 auto should work.

I did a quick google search, and yes, if you can find a c-5 auto out of an 83 to 86 automatic broncoII/ranger, and take the tailshaft from it, and put it on your c-4 v-8 transmission, then you can use your stock t-case, which the internet claims can handle the power of a mild 302.

here is one of many forum posts on doing the 302 swap into a 4x4.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=1595

You don't even need to do that. Find a C5 from a 2.8L 83 ranger, or 84 Ranger/BII. 85 was the first year of the A4LD. It will already accept the stock 1350/1354 cases. Swap the C5 valve body out for one from a V8 C4, along with the intermediate servo, and you're good to go with most 302s... I wouldn't worry about upgrading the trans unless you put a real healthy motor in front of it. You'll also need a V8 bell housing from a V8 case fill C4.

V8bellonC5.jpg

You can use fox body motor mounts. Just drill new holes for the studs.

mustang-mounts.jpg

Last edited:
Those mounts look higher then the plate/4.0 mount alot of guys are using? I ended up making some out of poly bushings for mine to get it to sit where I wanted it to. I ended up copying your headers, the only ones I could find that fit worth a ****.

Those mounts look higher then the plate/4.0 mount alot of guys are using? I ended up making some out of poly bushings for mine to get it to sit where I wanted it to. I ended up copying your headers, the only ones I could find that fit worth a ****.

I did plates to 2.8 mounts when I first put it in. I might as well bolted it to jello. I you can fab your own, great. If you can't or don't want to, use fox body mounts.

You copied my headers? I'm running stock explorer manifolds.

Thought I read on another forum you used headman headers for a ford falcon? The stock mounts dont hold up well with a v6 so anything is an improvment.

The 302 swap is not that hard, theres lots of good ideas and info online. L&L, james duff, advanced adapters and a few others can help if your not into making everything your self.

I posted pics from another dude's swap that made it look like they worked well. I got a set of cast explorer manifolds, and ran them since my exhaust was built around them.

Latest posts