• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

v8 swap in 84 toy

muddin

Im putting in a sbc with sm465 to dana 20 in my 84 toyota. I refuse to put the radiator in the bed it goin under the hood. I do not have a body and obviously space is slim. Probly gonna. Advance adapters aluminum radiator unless someone has another viable option. Since ill be running electric fan how far from the motor can/ should the radiator be thx in advance. Any other tips r welcome.

I ran probably a dozen different combinations of radiator and fans in my old small block 84 before finally giving up and putting a 4 core big block Ford radiator from a late 70's truck in the bed. Never had a single cooling issue after that! The fj40 radiator almost worked but I lost the hood latch to make it fit.

Fully prepared to lose latch its by far a dd. I may cut out firewall and put it where it needs to go. I found a 16" 2070 cfm fan that will fit if i lose the core support. I have no body lift so its all a squeeze. Just looking for options /input. Thx what dimensions is a land cruiser radiator?

THe fj radiator will go between your frame rails to the bottom of your hood. I dont have dimensions infront of me at this time.

You are going to need more then that for a fan. A good electric fan is $200 plus and that does not includ good relays or a control of some sort.

Put that motor as far back as possible and then see what room you have left. Cutting the core support is no big deal, put in the biggest rad you can and a high CFM fan and a good shroud. This has been done lots before so there are others to learn from to find out what size rad and how much fan you'll need. I use a engine driven one currently but have also ran an electric. I have used a griffin alum rad with a tarus fan and it cooled a 302 just fine.

Im aware its been done alot couple buddys have theres done and they all have body lifts to help with clearance. I dont have body lift and im trying to stay far enough away from diff. Is anybody back far enough that there using the normal fan?

I'm using an engine fan in an '80 toy with a sbc, no body lift. The core support is cut out and rebuilt around the rad. Everything fits, cools fine.