• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

valve seals

toyman21

any one change these seals on a 22RE with out removing the head?
this is a new rebuild but i cant find valve seals on my reciept (sp) and it smokinf on compression and when it sits and idles for a long time.

any way i have it tore apart and im doing them so i feel better.
any tricks and what are the thoughts on changing the head gasket even though,its new with a copper spacer and it a toyota gasket but i still will need to retorque.

what I have done in the past was to charge the cylinder with air (through the sparkplug hole), this keeps the valve from just dropping into the cylinder.

then you can use a spring compressor to compress the spring enough to release the valve keepers.

At the engine shop I used to work at ( I ran the cylinder head department) we had a manual sping compressor that just was used like a folcrum, with leverage to compress the spring.

The air in the cylinder held the valve while you compress the spring.

I used a fitting like a compression tester to screw into the sparkplug hole with a air valve on the other end so I could pressurize the thing.

hope it helps!!

Zoediak said:
what I have done in the past was to charge the cylinder with air (through the sparkplug hole), this keeps the valve from just dropping into the cylinder.

then you can use a spring compressor to compress the spring enough to release the valve keepers.

At the engine shop I used to work at ( I ran the cylinder head department) we had a manual sping compressor that just was used like a folcrum, with leverage to compress the spring.

The air in the cylinder held the valve while you compress the spring.

I used a fitting like a compression tester to screw into the sparkplug hole with a air valve on the other end so I could pressurize the thing.

hope it helps!!

What he said :D Its really tight on these motors and I had to modify my special comprssor to work but---its possable.

But for the record if you are having oil consumption problems on a 20-22 series motor the seals typically won't help that much due to the fact of high tight the tolerances are on the guides...

everything is new,i just dont see where he put valve seals in.

also i did what you said last night with the air and it broke the seal so i need to put some bolt back in the head to keep a seal.

Latest posts