• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Van alstein tire groover

1tonyj

Anyone have experience with this unit? I've used the Rema tip top before and it was awesome. It's also couple hundred more than this one though.

Attachments

• 2015-10-08 16.17.29.png
    2015-10-08 16.17.29.png
    245.2 KB · Views: 124
Got one. Like it. It takes some getting used to. Blades bend/break easy if you don't have them in the rubber...if that makes sense. If you have one side of the blade in rubber you need to have the other side in the rubber. You can go back and hit a smaller strip with both sides exposed and be ok.
Once you use one you will understand

I have one and it works really well. I like how it only gets hot when you apply pressure and immediately cools off when you stop cutting.

whiskeymakin said:
Got one. Like it. It takes some getting used to. Blades bend/break easy if you don't have them in the rubber...if that makes sense. If you have one side of the blade in rubber you need to have the other side in the rubber. You can go back and hit a smaller strip with both sides exposed and be ok.
Once you use one you will understand

Yeah the Rema was the same way. Thxs for the info fellas...gonna order one.

I have the same groover. Like mentioned above, get plenty of extra blades in the size you use most often because you will ruin a few until you figure out what it likes and doesn't like. Here is a video I made back in 2012 when I got mine.

https://youtu.be/g6nS-r3qQcM

I bought the new all in one deal, no separate box that Van Alstine makes. I've used both, but the one I got was $100 cheaper. It works awesome as well and a shout out for Van Alstine, summit sold me a set of blades too big, I called Alstine and asked what was up, he said only up to 1/2 wide cut will work in my model, he said let me just send you 24 blades for FREE!! And he did! talk about customer appreciation.

I finally bought the biggest replacement head for my cheapo $70 speedway grover, and it cuts 1000x better than before. It'll actually hold enough heat to do work now. I was seriously considering buying a "good" groover, but I couldn't justify the spend.

TBItoy said:
I finally bought the biggest replacement head for my cheapo $70 speedway grover, and it cuts 1000x better than before. It'll actually hold enough heat to do work now. I was seriously considering buying a "good" groover, but I couldn't justify the spend.

Ya I've used it to groove 1 set of 44" TSL's for myself and 3 sets of tires for my friends. It hasn't even left the shelf for over a year now.. probably could have spent that money a little better looking back but oh well I have it now.

Latest posts