• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Vertical Scope - Pirate4x4 Password Hack

John Galbreath Jr.

38 Special & Solo Buggy
I saw that and wondered that too. Originally I thought it was a scam so they could get you to change your passwords then get them, but it looks legit now. Maybe Eric can give us some input on how he can get everyone's passwords. I'm too dumb and still use a flip phone. :rolf:

blacksheep10 said:
Soooo, I don't use that email anymore, and that password is only used ina couple non important places. Do I still need to change

Think they are going to force you to change it. Upper case, lower case, number, and special character, minimum length. And change every 365 days. Not sure how this change will keep them from being hacked again. But, at least they don't want our guns!

Guess you will miss the change email though, will be interesting. May want to change it before you find yourself locked out as you won't get the email.

JohnG said:
Think they are going to force you to change it. Upper case, lower case, number, and special character, minimum length. And change every 365 days.

PRC Polaris Ranger (owned by VS) forum just did the same thing.

Funny that they apparently got hacked in Febuary and didn't say **** to any forum members til recently. PRC forum just got the forced password reset a couple days ago. They started a thread and said password reset was required because of a potential risk.....it's not fawking potential if millions of our emails, passwords, and IP's fell into the hands of hackers... :wtflol:

I think the article said that the breach was only made public / found out about a week ago despite that it happened months ago. I'm still not particularly pleased with Pirate's response though. They should reset everyone pw's immediately and automatically. I don't know why they aren't.

patooyee said:
I think the article said that the breach was only made public / found out about a week ago despite that it happened months ago. I'm still not particularly pleased with Pirate's response though. They should reset everyone pw's immediately and automatically. I don't know why they aren't.

That's what VS did with PRC. I first noticed I couldn't log in a couple days ago and then finally got motivated enough to change my password today.

This was the final straw for me. I've been meaning to use a password manager for a long time now so I'm trying a free trial of Lastpass. So far I'm loving it. It generates unique, random passwords for every site. That way if one gets hacked not all have to be reset.

Re: Re: Vertical Scope - Pirate4x4 Password Hack

patooyee said:
This was the final straw for me. I've been meaning to use a password manager for a long time now so I'm trying a free trial of Lastpass. So far I'm loving it. It generates unique, random passwords for every site. That way if one gets hacked not all have to be reset.
But what happens when Last pass gets h@ck3d ?!?!

molaugh

Re: Re: Vertical Scope - Pirate4x4 Password Hack

TBItoy said:
But what happens when Last pass gets h@ck3d ?!?!

molaugh

It's easy to go in and generate a new random pw. It has a admin console with every site that yo manage with them. You can just go down the list and change them all. It would take about 15 minutes to do about 20-30 sites.

Plus I would hope that a company that charges money to supply security would have a little tighter handle on things than to use decade-old encryption.

JohnG said:
And reading that thread, how does 98blacktj know what he does. Seems to be able to tell everyones password on most forum sites.

He posted this on post # 231 when asked how he sees all that info on everybody.

"Yes I paid for access I have clients on various VS forums I need to protect. I'm doing this for the community on PBB now."

patooyee said:

I pay to use Roboform for the last several years. Sounds similar to the Lastpass you mention.

Only issues I have with it, I get so used to using it that when I am on someone else's phone or computer, I don't remember what my actual password is...

Hmmmm, I was expecting a pm or email from pirate regarding this. I guess they assume everyone will check general chitchat or hear about it on another site?

I checked mine the other day to make sure i had a generic pw that isnt shared with anything I care about and left it alone.

i just got an email a moment ago from pirate saying my pw was reset by administrator...