• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

warn 8274 winch

dventoza

Anyone know if there is a way to tell how old an warn 8274 winch is? and dates or little hints stamped into them somewhere?
thanks

Generally the date should be stamped right on the tag...at least mine is. Emailing Warn should get you the answers you're lookin for...:awesomework:

as far as I have seen the older ones have the date code stamped on them, but the newer ones don't

the older ones have a drive gear that has to be upgraded if you break yours because they discontinued the original, but awesome winch need I say more :awesomework:

Last edited:
as far as I have seen the older ones have the date code stamped on them, but the newer ones don't

.... awesome winch need I say more :awesomework:

Mine was built in '79....has the stamp dated. And I couldn't agree more:awesomework:

thank you for all the input!!! i think i found my winch!! gotta contact the guy now.. is there any thing i should be looking for to indicate that the winch should not be bought?

he says it works... haha oh he also says that there is only one power cord and no ground becasue it grounds through the mounts? is this right or should there be a ground wire

the ground strap could be hooked to the winch case easy fix if you don't want it that way... Just make sure your frame is grounded to your battery

the only things to look for are things which will cost you money so you can change the purchase price...

he says it works... haha oh he also says that there is only one power cord and no ground becasue it grounds through the mounts? is this right or should there be a ground wire

Every 8274 I've seen has a griound strap on the motor case...:eeek:

haha oh he also says that there is only one power cord and no ground becasue it grounds through the mounts? is this right or should there be a ground wire

the ground strap could be hooked to the winch case easy fix if you don't want it that way... Just make sure your frame is grounded to your battery

the only things to look for are things which will cost you money so you can change the purchase price...

Every 8274 I've seen has a griound strap on the motor case...:eeek:

If I recall correctly... the earlier 8274s did indeed ground thru the mounts. The motors were securely bolted to the housings, which in turn were bolted to the bumpers, which in turn were bolted to the frames... etc... anyhow, Warn discontinued this setup in favor of a ground strap utilizing the end bolt that secured the motor to the housings. The ground strap went from the end bolt to the battery. Both of these styles are quite ancient. All of the more modern 8274s have a dedicated ground off the motor. Each 8274 motor should have 4 studs. One is common, one is forward, one is reverse, one is ground. If this winch has only got the three studs, it's a very old winch, and you should take that into consideration.

All winch motors should have a ground strap from the motor directly to the ground post of the battery. Period.

Although you may be able to run a winch by grounding to the frame, and from the frame to the battery, that is NOT the proper way to run a winch motor.

Warn winches can also be judged age-wise by the prongs on the winch controller plugs. The earliest winches had a cable which operated the clutch on the side. They are normally refered to as an upright 8000, not the 8274. The early 8274 had three plugs on the connector, which were about an 1/8 th inch round. The mid 8274s had three plugs, but the plugs were only about a 1/16th of an inch thick. The latest 8274s use 5 plugs, also about 1/16th of an inch.

again, this is all typed from memory, and could be completely wrong.

T/ out.

if the winch i am looking at has only 3 studs, can a newer motor be put on an early model winch case so that i would have a correct ground?

If I recall correctly... the earlier 8274s did indeed ground thru the mounts. The motors were securely bolted to the housings, which in turn were bolted to the bumpers, which in turn were bolted to the frames... etc... anyhow, Warn discontinued this setup in favor of a ground strap utilizing the end bolt that secured the motor to the housings. The ground strap went from the end bolt to the battery. Both of these styles are quite ancient. All of the more modern 8274s have a dedicated ground off the motor. Each 8274 motor should have 4 studs. One is common, one is forward, one is reverse, one is ground. If this winch has only got the three studs, it's a very old winch, and you should take that into consideration.

All winch motors should have a ground strap from the motor directly to the ground post of the battery. Period.

Although you may be able to run a winch by grounding to the frame, and from the frame to the battery, that is NOT the proper way to run a winch motor.

Warn winches can also be judged age-wise by the prongs on the winch controller plugs. The earliest winches had a cable which operated the clutch on the side. They are normally refered to as an upright 8000, not the 8274. The early 8274 had three plugs on the connector, which were about an 1/8 th inch round. The mid 8274s had three plugs, but the plugs were only about a 1/16th of an inch thick. The latest 8274s use 5 plugs, also about 1/16th of an inch.

again, this is all typed from memory, and could be completely wrong.

T/ out.
Mine may have an upgraded motor, but I doubt it...I purchased it from the original owner, and he bought it in 1979, the same time he bought the truck to put it on.... Are you talkin about earlier than this T?