• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Waterproof Head unit ?

J/Cope79

Since we are finally getting out on the trail again I am looking to upgrade the sound system in my rig. I already have waterproof speakers so thats a plus but I am needing a Waterproof media player/head unit of some sort. I do not want anything fancy at all in the Jeep. I just need something that will work with Android and I-junk, FM radio, USB port and hopefully in a single din size category.
What is everyone else having luck with ?

You've got a basic radio in the Cherocar with Aux/USB port and the waterproof/marine type cover over top of it, correct?
Correct. It has worked ok. I'm just super careful cause I can't ever pressure wash the dash or anything. But I got that radio whenever I had a full bodied rig.. Now it works sometimes...

Get one of the of the marine units. It has been awhile since I read it but there was a thread on here somewhere where on of the guys mounted a unit in his dash that was about the size of tach, that had all of the controls for the radio on it and the unit itself was mounted else where. It had bluetooth etc if I recall correctly.

you can get Marine amps with bluetooth. Stick the amp under the dash and wire to your speakers. Connect to it with BT from your phone/tablet/etc. Add a standalone mp3 player if you dont want to use your phone.

I have something like this that lives in my rig.

Get one of the of the marine units. It has been awhile since I read it but there was a thread on here somewhere where on of the guys mounted a unit in his dash that was about the size of tach, that had all of the controls for the radio on it and the unit itself was mounted else where. It had bluetooth etc if I recall correctly.
Thats what i have been looking at but wasnt sure which brand was holding up better.

I put a Memphis soundbar in my samurai, super simple, hot, ground wire hookup, and of course it's bluetooth, sounds great, about 350 ish dollars.

Last edited:
I saw those but the reviews were terrible so I wrote them off. How long have you had yours?
Only 3 or 4 weeks, but Memphis usually makes a decent product, and it's a whole lot cheaper than Wet sounds, only thing I have noticed about mine is it's not very loud, I mean plenty loud enough for me inside my samurai but if it was on a boat or a side-by-side I would be disappointed.

Another great thing about the soundbar is that it is so easy to package, no trying to mount speakers somewhere, and running wires all over the place.

I just run an el cheapo single DIN unit from Amazon or wherever, it still sounds decent if you got good speakers and/or amp. Replace it when it shits out. Usually lasts several (8 or 9) rides and car wash trips which is about a year for me.

I bought this Kicker Marine Bluetooth unit for my boat back in 2018 and it has worked really good.
I have installed a couple of similar units in a few sxs for some of my neighbors. I have got to get out and do some measuring to see what is possible other than the standard single Din.

I'm running this in my DD TJ and have really liked it. Going on a year now.

We installed this in our pontoon this past season and its been a good unit so far. Its a really compact unit.

If it is in the budget, get a Wetsounds bluetooth sound bar and don't look back. Super easy to package and wire as mentioned above. Hook up the hot and the ground and rock out. They even have an inline fuse built in. Creative audio sells refurbished WS bars much cheaper than new (and they even have a short warranty with them) . I ran a stealth 6 in my 4 cylinder buggy and it worked great. I put a stealth 10 in my v8 buggies, plenty loud even over the engine. I almost went with a Memphis bar, but after using one on a ride in a friends rig, I decided against it, the buttons seemed really cheaply made and the power button even got stuck and wouldn't work.

Also, you can move them from rig to rig with ease if you sell and buy something else.

Latest posts