• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Welding a crack on a Samurai Transfer Case

L

lowbudgetjunk

I will post pictures from my phone as soon as I finish typing this up. I have a 3 to 4 inch hairline crack that was originally JB welded back together on my transfer case right at the transfer case mount. I had some noise coming from the case, so I pulled it out to do a rebuild. During the clean up, I don't know how I didn't notice it, but I did now. Is this something that would justify welding? Do I need to source another transfer case to toss my gears in?

6d8e9a2be0686ab2ab54551140a3d92c.jpg

efd0ad46020c697bc6dffbf4f10acf1c.jpg

Re:

Its junk man, you can weld it but its going to leave you on the trail. Need to figure out why it cracked, my Kong had to be braced up to stop mine from doing that and then eventually a snatch.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

Fawesome. This is now the piece that I need to go to the HPO ride. Otherwise, I will be spectating and or bumming a ride.

I agree with Infamous. Depending on what mount you are running, those 4 holes are getting a lot of torque.
X2 on the snatch cradle as I have not had any trouble since going to it.
I would also order a heavy duty output shaft to install during the rebuild as that is also a weak link.
If you can't find a case local, call Myron at Zuks Off Road (928 567-3061) . He usually stocks transfer case parts.

jeff150 said:
I agree with Infamous. Depending on what mount you are running, those 4 holes are getting a lot of torque.
X2 on the snatch cradle as I have not had any trouble since going to it.
I would also order a heavy duty output shaft to install during the rebuild as that is also a weak link.
If you can't find a case local, call Myron at Zuks Off Road (928 567-3061) . He usually stocks transfer case parts.

Its got the heavy duty outputs, but the mount is the weak link. If I don't find anything, I will definitely give him a call. :dblthumb:

I got a mighty Kong 2 in mine. No problem with it.

Still wish I went with a ZOR snatch.

Kel, get it to Decatur and I'll have my guys weld it up but you will have to get a t-case mount that is rigid and ties into other case bolts besides the original mounts.

zukimaster said:
If it's welded up rite, this case will be fine to use. I would not be scared at all to do that.

Mine is welded up with a custom spine and mounts. It gets beat on and holding up so far

5onrocks said:
Kel, get it to Decatur and I'll have my guys weld it up but you will have to get a t-case mount that is rigid and ties into other case bolts besides the original mounts.

I'll have to clean it up pretty good first and get all the JB weld off of it. I have a buddy that is making me a spine for it. I was debating on what kind of mount for this beast. I want it to last and figure the spine is going to be the key, along with a good mount.

zukimaster said:
If it's welded up rite, this case will be fine to use. I would not be scared at all to do that.

Thats why I am not going to be welding anything on it. I struggle at times, just to turn my machine on :)

lowbudgetjunk said:
I'll have to clean it up pretty good first and get all the JB weld off of it. I have a buddy that is making me a spine for it. I was debating on what kind of mount for this beast. I want it to last and figure the spine is going to be the key, along with a good mount.

Thats why I am not going to be welding anything on it. I struggle at times, just to turn my machine on :)

Just get it to me. I'll soda blast it and take care of everything.