• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

welding helmet

gomer pyle

what brand and model does everyone prefer? mine is messed up and i want to buy a good one this time.

I like Jackson. Hate the smaller lenses so I always get the larger ones. Jackson has some with odd size lense also but they are generally the more expensive model.

Do you want auto darkening or not?

If you do go auto get one with the nobs on the inside and pay extra for one with grinder mode or adjustment on how sensitive it is. I have several student that are using the Miller hoods and they seem to be working good.

Jackson or Miller big window and call it a day.

I have 4 helmets 2 at home, 2 at shop.

At the shop I have my original Jackson HSL-100, love that helmet its 20 years old (wow I'm getting fuvking old) have put new lenses in it routinely and I think I'm on the third headband but you can still get all the parts for them.
Jackson HSL-100 they are under $30 new.
jackson-hsl-100-shadow-welding-helmet-3002498-black-404-p.jpg

The other one I have at the shop is an Auto-darkening, I dont even remember the name would have to look at it. Doesnt matter it sucks, I never use it. Swear it damn near perma-blinded me. Maybe the technology is finally there, but the one I got is about 6 years old and I wouldnt give it to my worst enemy to try and get them to blind themselves.

Both at home hoods are the Miller MP-10 big windows, funny found a pic of both together. I wanted 2 black ones and they only had 1 is stock so I got the free upgrade to gay "inferno"
The black ones are around $35, add gay graphics and $65 :eek:

MP10s.jpg

i am really looking for auto darkening. i have never heard of jackson, so i will check into them alittle bit

Also get one with 4 pickups instead of 2, that with the big window and you will be very satisfied. The 4 pickups are alot faster and consistent on changing.

I have 4 speedglas lids for work if your going that route find one that has the bigger lens, the standard lens is pretty small. At the other shop i have 2 miller elite's, there great helmets. Grind mode is a nice option but i usually just put on a grinding shield instead. They have big lens that are great for tig welding out of position etc. I also have a harbor frieght hood that i cut the top off for those really hard to get to areas. If i was only going to have 1 lid it would be the miller.

Bringing this back from the grave. My harbor freight special gave it up. What's everyone using?

I picked up the Vulcan shield from hf. The helmet itself is a little flimsy compared to others I've handled but the lens is sweet. Much more clear and larger than my old Jackson auto lens.

After using a shitty HF helmet for years, I just bought a new Miller Digital Elite. I LOVE it. Headgear is comfortable, large viewiing area and 4 modes (weld, cut, grind and x-mode)

They have a $50 rebate on them which convinced me to pull the trigger. https://www.millerwelds.com/build-with-blue-rebate

I bought mine through Baker Gas because they were an eligible retailer. With the rebate, I got it for $164.00.

I aint never found a auto darking that i like. I stick with the big lens in a shade 12 lol i use a arc one at work and a jackson that stayin in my truck and i have a OLD fiber metal i use at home that weighs bout 10 lbs lol it was gave to me from a old man that was retiring from were i worked. I like it tho

Soeedglas is the ****, I had a Jackson 4n1 Executive for better than 20yrs that died on me a couple years ago and I bought an off brand cheapish 80 dollar auto darkening one I e been using and not hating it terribly. Currently use a Lincoln auto big view at work. If I we're going to spend some coin I'd be looking at a Speedglass. I've also been debating the Miller goggles for around 200 for right spots and under rig stuff ..

I've got a piece of cardboard with two little cuts in it I use. Got a few of them with different size cuts that use I use depinding amp welding. Highly recommend and very cheap to replace when they get faded.
2E7AECC6-87A6-4DF4-ADB7-5D6116F30FDC.jpeg

Soeedglas is the ****, I had a Jackson 4n1 Executive for better than 20yrs that died on me a couple years ago and I bought an off brand cheapish 80 dollar auto darkening one I e been using and not hating it terribly. Currently use a Lincoln auto big view at work. If I we're going to spend some coin I'd be looking at a Speedglass. I've also been debating the Miller goggles for around 200 for right spots and under rig stuff ..
The miller goggles are awesome when you need them. They do have some problems fogging up at times.

Latest posts