• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Welding on a 2018 aluminum Ford truck body

fabricator1

Well a shop next door was installing a gooseneck hitch in a brand new f350. 19 miles and cut a 3 inch hole in the wrong spot of the bed floor. :eek:they guy came over just about crying and asked if I could weld it up. I'm surprised how thin the aluminum is,especially on the floor. It tig welds up pretty nice though. Should have taken some more pics but I was trying to not make the guy feel any worse

Pic

Attachments

• IMG_2054.JPG
    IMG_2054.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 135
WOW thats not a little off thats way off. I have had to weld a few up. Floors are just as thin as a fender. Got a 52 Studebaker in the shop the bed is almost an 1/8 of an inch thick. Dont make trucks like that any more.

I asked them later if the guy was pissed. Said no he didn't really care because it's a lease truck. I'm surprised they even let you put a hitch like that in a leased truck. Going to be a hell of a hole when he takes it out. I guess they're getting the bed floor painted or spray in liner for him

Don't see why they didn't just get one it from the factory, it's a lease truck so probably wouldn't been much more if any

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zjman said:
Don't see why they didn't just get one it from the factory, it's a lease truck so probably wouldn't been much more if any

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mi have a short bed with L cell and offset ball. Can't use an offset ball with factory hitch.

I bet he looked under the truck and saw the hitch was centered on a ridge and didn't realize it would be a valley on the other side.