• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Welding on High Steer Arms???? Morris Mountain owners

Nathan08

I went to Morris Mt a couple weeks ago and the last trail of the evening (Isn't that the way it always is??) Copperhead and I broke a drivers side knuckle at the top. After the Mr. Randy and Mr. Kris tried helping me get it out I decided it was best to leave it and bring back a knuckle to fix it with. My question is this- I bought a Reid knuckle to put on it, and I was wanting to know if I could weld a tab on the side of the high steer arms I have now in order to be able to run a long bolt straight through the high steer arm and the factory location, or would welding to the arm make it brittle.

One another note I know most of you guys know Mr. Randy and Mr. Kris over at Morris Mountain very well but for those of you who don't,those guys and their father bent over backwards to help me out that Sunday when I was up there. The last thing I want to be was "that guy who needed help" but they were great! I tried and tied to pay them for helping me but they would not take a dime. Great guys that can call me anytime if I could help.

I think we talked briefly about my setup on Saturday in the rain. It has been like this for 3 years. No issues at all. I originally thought it was too close to the tire sidewall and would hit under side loading but it had never hit the tire. I highly recommend doing something similar to tie the high steer arm into the factory tie rod arm. This is the best pic I have at the moment.

Re: Re: Welding on High Steer Arms???? Morris Mountain owners

My opinion, I think its going to depend on how much you weld and what kind of force that weld will see. If its just a small tab to help the high steer arm, I should be ok if you to alittle preheating, and peen it afterwards. And if you could burry it in some sand or wrap it up in a fire blanket or something when your to to help slow the cooling process will help alot to to prevent cracking.

That said, I wouldnt risk welding the arm on or a tab that your drag link will connect to. Just too much risk to put that much heat into the knuckle when you are talking about the actual connection of your steering. Steering is kinda important

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

As for welding to the knuckle it can be done same as you do to the pumpkin, however as previously mentioned it needs to be done correctly to prevent cracking. On my last rig I had a BJ 60 up front and I just used a grinder and sawsall to flatten the top of the knuckle and create a keyway across the front of it. I then installed a high steer arm with three 3/8 inch studs and ran a thru bolt thru the high steer arm and factory tie rod location like you mentioned. It has worked without issue for 4 years.

Re: Re: Welding on High Steer Arms???? Morris Mountain owners

One more thing.... if possible, I would try and avoid MIG welding to cast. Yeah, it works, but stick welding it would provide much better penetration, and nickel rods
(Made for cast) are much easier to come by over nickel MIG wire if u choose to get that involved. I have mig welded and stick welded to cast, and being a welder by profession, I feel alot better about SMAW to cast. Results just seem that much better
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Welding on the high steer arms is fine as they are steel. I drilled and tapped my knuckle with 1/2" bolts to run a brace that is welded to the high steer arm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk with my left thumb.

Your bolt on high steer arms would be regular steel and you can weld to them without issue. The tabs and tube on mine are welded to the high steer arm. The factory tie rod hole was drill out to 7/8" and the tube is tapped to 7/8 fine thread. I bolted the arms down, then bolted the tube and tabs to the knuckle, then welded the tabs to the high steer arms. That way everything is in place prior to welding and can be unbolted and removed for maintenance. Now is a great time to mount you hiems in double shear too as well.

RustyC I am the one that you talked to Saturday, I appreciate you guys keeping a check on me. Your setup is what got me to thinking about modifying my setup.Thanks so much for your input guys! :dblthumb:

Sure I can get more pics this evening. It is nothing special suplus center cylinder, homemade tabs and 7/8" x 3/4" hiems.

:woody:

Attachments

• IMG_20131005_102431_760.jpg
    IMG_20131005_102431_760.jpg
    757.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20131005_102347_613.jpg
    IMG_20131005_102347_613.jpg
    780.2 KB · Views: 81

Latest posts