• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What battery do y'all use in your rig?

Casey

Can't remember the name of the battery everyone says is the way to go these days. I know everyone says optima sucks now. Thanks for any advise.

With as much as your rig sits, a good battery disconnect is important. :stir:

All joking aside, I put 3 red tops in mine over two years each one died and was replaced, and ended up getting a yellow top under warranty for no extra charge an it has been awesome. Right before I left Coop I sold some Odyssey batteries to a few guys running tractor pull trucks that needed to mount them upside down and to my knowledge they have had good luck with them. They were the Extreme series and were about $250 bucks.

Napa Legend AGM in a RuffStuff battery tray sized for the sears diehard platinum thats discontinued. The Napa legend has a 75 month pro-rated warranty. Best i could find when looking for one 6 months ago. About $180.

Re:

tonybolton said:
Auto zone platinum....in 3 different "sitting" vehicles. <$150

Is that the manual transmission with the 4.3l and 235/65/R17 wheel size, version? I agree, only mine is from a 1973 Ford pinto with a 4 cylinder and 4 speed transmission and 14" wheels. Good stuff.

ADMINISTRATOR

Re:

CHASMAN9 said:
Is that the manual transmission with the 4.3l and 235/65/R17 wheel size, version? I agree, only mine is from a 1973 Ford pinto with a 4 cylinder and 4 speed transmission and 14" wheels. Good stuff.

ADMINISTRATOR

12 volt with terminal lube

I've had the same two Odyssey marine deep cycle batteries since 2007 or 8. Never had a problem with them. Some times they might sit for 6 months, but they'll start the truck with no problem.

Of coarse now I said all that.....I bet their dead now.

Honestly, I've tried most of the big name batteries, some good some bad. The biggest thing for me now is warranty.

I just got my two new batteries for the rig at Oreilly's with a 3-yr warranty (free replacement). And the boat runs two from Wal-mart with 3 year warranties. The boat batteries have lasted through 4 years of absolute hell and abuse and still kicking. 5 years is about what I expect out of a battery these days. And with less in cost on two batteries than one name brand would cost me, I'm still ahead. If I get a bad one, I take it in, swap it out and done.

Also, if any you are poor like me....I have vehicles that sit outside. So on those vehicles, I use a solar powered battery tender/charger. Either hard wired in and on a pigtail or plugged into the cigarette lighter. Excuse me, the "12v power outlet accessory port" to be more politically correct.

And yea, if yea wanna make sure it's working....touch your tongue to the + / - I mean...if you're a man and not some sissy Mary cake-boy. ;) :D

I hear all the bad stories about Optima red tops but I guess I been lucky!....ran one in the Rattler race Zuk for 3 years with zero problems...it's now been in the stock white Zuk for 2 years...I've had one in the green purple trail Zuk bout 6 years now...sits a lot...1 year ago I left it in the basement switch on for about 6 weeks...battery was DEAD...trickle charged it for 4 days in a row and its been fine since!

Autocraft Platinum AGM in a 65 series for me. Been in the rattler almost 3 years now, no problems. We use them at work in all of our stretch limos also ( why else would I have one? molaugh ), due to they sit a lot more than our other cars. With a drivecam pulling a constant draw on them. I crank them once a week, if they haven't been used, no problems.
Like Scott said, slow low amp charge is the ticket if you ever need to charge any type of gel cell.

Re: What battery do y'all use in your rig?

My diehard platinum Agm been in my jeep for prob 6 years and never had a charger on it and it sits all winter with -15 degree temps couple years ago and it just fires right up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: What battery do y'all use in your rig?

I've got 2 yellow tops in my buggy. Same 2 I've been using for 3-4 years.
They sat around for a solid year untouched while I built the buggy. Didn't charge them at all and they still started the engine no trouble at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts