• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What battery do y'all use in your rig?

If your talking about a daily driver...Deka is the way to go. Next would be NAPA (Exide)

Most others are made by Johnson Controls...Optima, Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Walmart, Champion, and about 50 others

4 6volt optima redtops. Put them all in the back best way I could package them for the limited space I had. Had to leave room for the back seat, a tool kit and a winch bag. So far so good but its only been a year since I got them.

I wonder why they don't put lithium batteries in Off road Rigs? They have been using them in the fishing industry for a while. They are lightweight too.

Optima Yellow top in my buggy since 2013 with no issues, but i keep it cranked up often.

I had a Yellow top in my TJ for probably close to ten years, when i let my jeep set for long periods of time i started to have issues with it. i tried to nurse it back but i let is get to far gone and it never really recovered from de-charging to many times....i wish i would have cranked it more often,but gas was $4.00 a gallon at the time and i had to let it sit.

I have had great luck with the Yellow Tops ...i have a buddy that has hotrods who has had countless Red tops that have been ABSOLUTE JUNK!

Deep cycle from Wal-Mart.
Figured I'd always be pretty close to one for replacement. Been in the CJ for about 7 yrs. Been completely run down and recharged several times. Burnt up solenoid in my winch and bout melted the posts off. Boosted tons of folks off, Winched, winched, and winched some more. Sits for months sometimes between rides.
Still going strong. Was one of the cheapest batteries they had. Less than $100.

Re: Re: What battery do y'all use in your rig?

BustedKnucklefilms said:
I wonder why they don't put lithium batteries in Off road Rigs? They have been using them in the fishing industry for a while. They are lightweight too.
I'd say price for most. Just put a lithium batt in my atv as it was just a few dollars more. It weighs a quarter as much. So far so good. Last batt lasted 5 yrs, so we'll see how this one does.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5 yrs later, what are folks using? I personally had a lot of bad luck with optima's in the past.
I'm glad you bumped this up. I'm in the market for a new battery. I borrowed the diehard agm battery that btw is 10 years old now from my old zj buggy I gave my brother last fall when we went to Harlan in October. I'm giving it back to him and need a good agm. Not real excited about optima. I need a battery with top and side post.

Our juggy came with a Northstar G34 battery and I've been very pleased with it. Previous owner was a Northstar dealer. This particular one only has top posts but I'd imagine you can get top and side posts.

This is what is in the YJ rig I just bought, It was weak from bad alternator but I seem to have revived it with auto charger and trickle charger, its been doing good since. I dont know how old it is

Latest posts