• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What do you do for a living?.

Body shop manager now for 4.5 years and love it, did auto glass for 17.5 years before this and it sucked but paid the bills.

I'm a Maintenance Technician at an Aerospace and Defense machine shop called Smiths Machine in Cottondale, AL. Operators keep me pretty busy most of the time but after I chew on them a little they seem to take care of the machines a little more now. We machine parts for Lockheed-Martin, Viasat, Kollmorgen, Kongsberg, L3 KEO and many others. We have 22 DMG Mori machines 2 that use Heidenhain controls and the others use Siemens controls. Been here for almost 4 years now and wish I would have got in this field sooner! By the way if I didn't have a 3 year old child I would be doing this for Siemens or some other travel company.

Own a Body Shop. Cullman Auto Body & Frame. Pretty much sniff paint ships and dust all day. Get to play with a few cool cars/trucks as well.
8c904b1e6a1e502991cbe576086da8c4.jpg

Spent 20 years in dealerships in service department. Had a chance to go into the in law's wholesale treated lumber distribution company a few years back. I buy, broker and sell treated and fire retardant treated wood all over the southeast. My wife owns the company and we make a great team.
I also run an axle shop here in town primarily doing gear installs and upgrades. I stay 4-6 weeks booked out year round.
The family biz pays the bills but wrenching is my passion.

zayne2427 said:
Own a Body Shop. Cullman Auto Body & Frame. Pretty much sniff paint ships and dust all day. Get to play with a few cool cars/trucks as well.
Heyyyyyyyy, Want to cut me a deal on repairing some rusted out rockers and rear fenders on my 08 Silverado?

Self employed for a few years out of high school as a welder and mnt at various plants.
Taught welding for almost 13 years and just resigned last month from that because I got tired of the local bs and having to work 2 jobs to keep up with my lifestyle.
Went back to work for myself as a contractor welding, fabbing, heavy equipment mnt, plant mnt and about anything thats broke. Was scared to death to leave the and go back to work for myself and leave a steady pay check but so far has been awesome.
Im about 45 minutes west of Birmingham and have machine shop but mostly do on site repairs from pipe welding to repairing a water truck if anyone needs anything.

The Luke said:
Heyyyyyyyy, Want to cut me a deal on repairing some rusted out rockers and rear fenders on my 08 Silverado?
Ha. i just got done doing a quote for Ryan (RPF500) from indiana off of here. Probably going to leave me his truck to replace rockers on both side of his 06 GMC 3500.

Civil Manager for a general contractor out of Birmingham, AL. Mainly do preliminary budgeting, estimating/bidding, write/manage subcontracts/scopes and support our field superintendents with of all aspects of site work for commercial projects. Work all over with a focus on the southeast, but also travel to the mid-west and north as well (pretty much wherever).

Toolmaker here in Cincy...build tooling for the production and refurbishment of aerospace parts..

poolman said:
I have a tree service company, and the weekend I shoe very expensive horses!!! :stir:

My buddies are going to say :flipper:

I work for poolman. Doing the important things like bringing him coffee and washing his buggy!

Re: Re: What do you do for a living?.

trucker said:
So I can pm you and bitch when my Volvo breaks down? Matter of fact I have had a check engine light on for the last 2200 miles. But the truck is still pulling.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Of course !

I can transfer you to warranty dep. if it's not under warranty, I can't do much :-\

Juan_Hong_Loe said:
I'm a Maintenance Technician at an Aerospace and Defense machine shop called Smiths Machine in Cottondale, AL. Operators keep me pretty busy most of the time but after I chew on them a little they seem to take care of the machines a little more now. We machine parts for Lockheed-Martin, Viasat, Kollmorgen, Kongsberg, L3 KEO and many others. We have 22 DMG Mori machines 2 that use Heidenhain controls and the others use Siemens controls. Been here for almost 4 years now and wish I would have got in this field sooner! By the way if I didn't have a 3 year old child I would be doing this for Siemens or some other travel company.

I work for Siemens Energy in the Generator sector. Great company to work for, but global generator sales are way down. We are trying to fill the void with service work (refurbishing power plant generators), and hope it pans out....**** is as low as it has been in my 12 years with them. Where we used to build 40+ new generators per year, we have 11 on the books for the following year beginning in October. Hopefully I'm not looking for a job next year. Lol

I'm a control systems mechanic in a coal gasification plant. I troubleshoot and repair PLC and DCS systems, control loops (transmitters, valves, etc.), motor control systems, pneumatics, hydraulics, etc. Been here for just a little over 9 years now.